Holmsey

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Holmsey

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He is still emaciated......... Eating and seemingly happy, but skin and bone.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Holmsey

Post by lilynmitz »

Has he been tested for Hyperthyroidism? That can account for weight loss, and as it speeds up the body's metabolism so much, could it perhaps account for food going too fast through his gut? I may be way off beam, but it#'s just a thought. Have you tried the venison and potato diet? It worked for a couple of mine years ago, who had awful squits for about 3 months.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He was at the vets today for bloods. He lost weight again! The vet couldn't get enough blood for testing but thyroid function is the number one priority. He is back next Tuesday and if enough blood will have haematology and biochemistry blood done. If it is thyroid it can be dealt with. Thyroid would be good news really!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Holmsey was put to sleep today. His bloods showed no thyroid issues, he was negative for FIV and FeLV. His WBC count was through the roof and he was started on a different antibiotic as a last resort. He had ringworm and the lab culture showed it was an unusual type. He stopped eating the prescription diet which was e only thing that controlled his diarrhea, and there was terribly gravy-like liquid dripping from his bottom last night. He was miserable. the vet reckons it was lymphoma of the intestinal tract. We coild have gone for bile acid tests, scans, and further bloodwork, but at that stage he was so weak and emaciated (and refusing the prescription food even when mixed with tuna juice), treatment for any of the possible causes would have been too much for him. The prognosis was bleak no matter what we did, and he was just miserable with no quality of life left.
He was always very outdoorsy, so before his final trip I took him into the sunshine of the garden and he really perked up. He drank from a puddle and sniffed the new car and the bushes we cut down this week, and then lay in the grass under the daffodils. As he walked his little
Egs nearly gave way a few times and I had to carry him back inside. It was time. If we had waited any longer he would have suffered too much.
RIP darling Holmsey, gone too soon at just 11 years old. But they were 11 very happy years I am happy to say. Xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Catherine I'm so sorry to hear this. What a brave boy! I'm glad he had a last little outing into the garden in the sunshine. Sleep tight little Holmsey. Much loved and much missed Xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh no Catherine. So sorry to hear this. You did your very best for him.

RIP Holmsey xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, RIP little one
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry, Catherine.

Rest in peace little Holmsey xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news. RIP sweet Holmsey. Play happily at the Bridge.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear this. It clearly was his time, it's so awful seeing them struggle like that. It was the same on Lily's last day. How lovely that he had that final trip round the garden with you. RIP little fella. You did the right thing Catherine, but it's always hard letting them go.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thanks everyone. I know it was the right thing.... If he hadn't stopped eating the prescription food, I could have kept him going another while with steroids...... But he just refused it. He still wanted PR OPER food, like Sheba, royal Canin kitten food, Hills fancy stuff that is new on the market etc. so he was hungry and wanted to eat and was able to, he just didn't like the prescription food. When he ate anything else his gut basically exploded, which had to cause pain and serious discomfort.

The vet is pretty sure it was GIT lymphoma, which isn't in itself a painful condition. But he felt miserable and Tere was no way I could let him outside. He slept with me on the couch when his bottom was under control, but I couldn't let him when the gravy started leaking out of him..... Not because I am worried about stains, but because I am worried about disease spread and basic filth..... The ringworm didn't bother me at all. Ringworm is the least of my worries and I am sure all the cat s here are carriers anyway. He just became symptomatic as he was so sick.....

I don't regret having him put to sleep. It rained every day after I did it, so he wouldn't have had his ten minutes in the garden if I had waited. I am just sad. He was never and 'in-your-face' cat, was always a true gent. Once some political canvasser fella came to the door before a local election. When I opened the door, Holmsey was sitting happily on the guy's shoulder! I roared laughing that day. Holmsey also ADORED olive oil, and couldn't have any while he was sick because of his poo problem.....So on the trip to the vets he had a dish of extra virgin olive oil to drink. It didn't matter at that stage eh? He also had loads of what he wanted to eat rather than the horrid prescription food.....

It happened so fast though...... He had the runs so we went to the vet..... I never expected this to be the end result......