Cat litter box ideas.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AcatR2
New Cat Chatter

Cat litter box ideas.

Post by AcatR2 »

Im looking for some ideas or personal experience that people might have had.
I have nine cats and currently use maxx cat litter which are placed in large Tupperware type containers. This has worked really well for us but we are looking for something even better as we have recently have bought a new house. We have one cat that will only use clay litter and the others seem to be ok with whatever. Looking for suggestions of types of litter boxes or cat litter etc in consideration for our new place or suggestions of set up for a cat room.

Thanks in advance
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat litter box ideas.

Post by Crewella »

My gut feeling is that if you've found something that works well, I'd stick with it. Especially as the cats are already going to have to be getting used to all the changes that will come along with the move.

I use wood pellets in covered trays, which works well for me though I find the cats don't like the catflap doors so I remove them. I also use litter mats, which (along with the covers) help to minimise litter getting tracked all over the house.

Good luck with the move. Moving nine cats should be fun! :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my own experience, which is a lot less than Crewella's, is that the very fine clumping litter is acceptable to most cats - Golden Grey and Nature's Calling for instance - and tracks a little less than litter with bigger pieces - I am trying not to think about the amount of tracking from 9 cats :o

clumping litter does work out cheaper too, I find, if sifted regularly, as the whole tray needs changing less often

I would certainly endorse not changing anything at first though, then perhaps try a different type of litter in a couple of trays - you don't say how many you have but I presume at least 4 - and monitor the results

a cat room sounds an excellent idea, especially for the first weeks after the move, when they will have to be grounded - in such a room I'd be tempted to use open trays, like you do now, as it makes less work for you cleaning them out - a plastic dustbin with a liner to hand, perhaps, for the clumps - and putting them in a row would lessen the tracking too, if like one of mine any of yours like to use a different tray for weeing and pooing, and so can move across from one tray to another without touching the floor - and keeping one of those rechargeable little vacuum cleaners handy would help too

but I must say if you are currently not having any problems with nine cats, you must be doing a great deal right already
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I did actually mean don't change anything when you first move, Kay's right - further down the line a cat room sounds a great idea! :D
Last edited by Crewella on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I have a cat room for Spike, until i reclaim it back!!! he will only use wood pellet cat litter and i bought one of these for him ,it was quite expensive in the first place to buy, but as it sieves through i do find i am using much less litter now and don't change all the tray as wet drops through, and if you keep up to cleaning it out, the ' eerrrr cat piddle pong' is all but gone.And it is very deep,so that stops him sort of throwing it all out, i know its Australian make, but at times i think he is trying to dig his way there !! to purchase one direct from manufacturers... :lol:

Is it ok to post a link? if so https://www.brit-pet.com/ProductDetails ... uctCode=BP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

My cat trays (bog standard litter) are in the corner of the dining room, hidden by the door to the kitchen(when open). My sister put hers in the cupboard under the stairs, with a cut out in the door for access, so the trays are out of site, which I thought was a good idea.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

One of our trays is in the bathroom, next to the loo. My OH says when he is on the loo Gracie will often use the tray at the same time. :roll: :lol: TMI?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

:lol: :lol:

Gracie really does love your OH doesn't she! I have a vision of one of the old 'Love is .......' cartoons, picturing them, side by side .......... :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh yes, she loves her daddy. She has been in hibernation all winter. Today we were working outside and she came blinking into the sunshine to find her daddy. :D