My two cats very shy !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

My two cats very shy !!

Post by laura1959 »

Need some advice ,my two rescue cats are very shy they have been going out in communal private garden for 6 months or so now but still when someone walks though the garden they rush back in to the flat in a panic ,feel a bit alarmed about this is there anything I can do??
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My two cats very shy !!

Post by Baggypants »

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My cats are just the same - when I mentioned it to vet once he said it's better that way - he's seen too many cats that have been harmed by humans so it's probably better in the long run if they aren't too relaxed around strangers. :|
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Laura

I think you can be reassured that they clearly see your home as their safe place. You don't want them running anywhere else if they are scared by anything, and as Baggypants says, a certain fear of strangers is a healthy protection mechanism. My younger girl runs to hide if the door bell rings, which is sometimes a little embarrassing, but I'd rather she do that than worry that she would be lured away by a stranger, or run towards the front door and out of it! Fusses to your little ones.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote:Hi Laura

I think you can be reassured that they clearly see your home as their safe place. You don't want them running anywhere else if they are scared by anything, and as Baggypants says, a certain fear of strangers is a healthy protection mechanism. My younger girl runs to hide if the door bell rings, which is sometimes a little embarrassing, but I'd rather she do that than worry that she would be lured away by a stranger, or run towards the front door and out of it! Fusses to your little ones.
yes I can see what your saying but the people walking though the garden are other tenants most proberly like animals ,only this morning a young man was walking though minding his own business and ouzo was so scared she just dived in the bathroom window ,I am pretty sure this man had no intention of hurting her .
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I wouldn't worry too mch about it unless they started feeling stressed inside and start to hide away from the people they recognise. It's possible that they had some bad experiences in the past or just weren't used to going outside before. Every cat is different.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All of my cats are shy with strangers, even the two that had a loving home for years before I adopted them. The way I look at it, cats are not a truly domesticated animal, and I think many retain their natural, wary instincts. Each cat is different.

Personally, I prefer mine that way too - I'd rather they were a bit over-cautious but safe.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Crewella wrote:All of my cats are shy with strangers, even the two that had a loving home for years before I adopted them. The way I look at it, cats are not a truly domesticated animal, and I think many retain their natural, wary instincts. Each cat is different.

Personally, I prefer mine that way too - I'd rather they were a bit over-cautious but safe.
thanks for your replies ,just a little worried as they seem so frightened when seeing other people in the garden ,they are fine with myself and boyfriend but terrified when out in garden just rush back in the flat in a panic. :o