Tadpole update

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Tadpole update

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Well, both Benders have died...... But Bubbles is still zooming around and his bubble had reduced in size. The others are getting HUUUUGE and eating all around them..... Bubb
Eas is still very small in comparison and I don't know if he will make it, but he seems very energetic and is eating away. I still have him in the separate tank (my Pyrex jug) as I don't want the others bullying/eating him! They aren't carnivorous yet (still no legs) and I have read that the small ones actually cannibalise the bigger ones first (?!?) but I am not taking any chances!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tadpole update

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless them :)

Carnivorous? My first experience of taddies was at primary school when our teacher introduced us to a tank of just hatched spawn and asked one boy, whose father was a butcher, if he could bring a little piece of beef back after lunch...Stephen came back with the bit of meat, it was tied to a length of cotton and put into the tank, and I don't think any of us learned much that afternoon, for watching a SWARM of taddies munching, well, gumming, away at their grub. They sucked it white!

Later I learned that giving them meat can turn the water foul, so I didn't. I think maybe they'll eat anything at any stage, but perhaps they won't kill to eat until they're adult - raw meat is carrion really. They are fascinating...I regret never having adopted any 'toadpoles' - would be great having some resident toads about and the garden is chemical-free because my snakes go out for a stroll in summer, however, might not be so good if a snake fancied a snack of toad in the hole...

Hope they all grow up into healthy frogs! :)