Feeding raw BARF foods.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Feeding raw BARF foods.

Post by Kris35 »

Totally long story but my 17 year old girl cat needs to eat raw cat food. I have read so much about this diet and when I tried it, it does help to control her bowels. But I need finely ground bones because a common problem with basic ground bones are the bones get stuck in their teeth and gums and my baby paws her face frantically. But trying to source finely ground raw cat food in the UK is impossible. I might have to buy a grinder and thats going to gross me out as I am vegan.

So before I tear my hair out and start banging my head on a brick wall - do any of you know of any UK finely ground raw cat food?

Many thanks,

Kris
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Feeding raw BARF foods.

Post by meriad »

Natural instinct sell raw food for cats: http://www.naturalinstinct.com/categories/Cat-Food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as do Natures Menu: http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/category-raw-cat-food.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is this what you're looking for, or are you looking to make your own?
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks. :) I've tried her on Natures Menu but I think she has a chicken allergy and all their products contain chicken.

Just rang Natural Instinct and the woman I spoke to said the bones are finely ground so feel like grit. This is what I am looking for. There are only three flavours though and two have chicken in them. I think I tried my cat on this brands venison and it was too rich for her.

I can't remember as I've tried so many brands I've lost track. Will try her on the venison again.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to find a grinder and do it myself. She can tolerate rabbit but the Purrform brand I've been using has bones that aren't finely ground so they get stuck in her teeth:

http://www.purrform.co.uk/farmed-rabbit ... round-bone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Hi Kris.

I don't know about any of the ready made raw foods to be honest, but I do feed some raw to my cats and dogs. The cats can all handle chicken necks and wings, and most can handle thighs and legs no problem. I know chicken is not an option for your girl, but what about turkey or duck or rabbit? AFAIK those creatures all have small, light bones, and I know my feral cats here hunt and eat rabbits.

I know the reason for including the bone is for calcium, but rather than buying a grinder, you coild buy a pressure cooker and cook the bones only. It wouldn't remove the calcium and shouldn't affect her bowels. I am assuming she has a bowel issue that has been diagnosed by a vet, and am interested to know what it is? I had a dog who could only tolerate raw food as he had Chrohn's disease.

Incidentally, I am vegan too. I once spent Christmas eve up to my elbows in turkey carcasses, gizzards, liver and hearts. I got more than I could fit in my car for free as they were heading to landfill, and had a lot of hungry feral colonies to feed! Made FAR more sense to spend Christmas eve that way than buy tins eh?
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hello Cussypat,

Oh God where do I start!! My girl has the bloods of a nine year old apparently (she's 17). Shes very active and playful. She was the runt of the litter and when she was a kitten she had diarhea. I controlled that by feeding her Coley (fish), on the advice of a cattery owner (all vets tests came back negative). Then last year she did a huge mega cowpat poo and collapsed onto her rear end. She couldn't walk for two weeks and since then she has had the runs. I have tried everything - honestly.

She has been to see four vets. Yes she has a form of IBS apparently but I think its something to do with her collapse that night. Anyway, back to raw. Yes she can eat raw rabbit but the bones are too big. I think I've now sourced a finely ground rabbit raw food. Today I put her back on Metrondiazole.

This has been going on for far too long now but I have worked out she can't ear rubbish vet prescribed anti allery foods or commercial cat foods at all as she just poos them out. Raw is the only thing that kinda firms her poos up a tad.

I am going to stick to the advice of the famous raw food link (cant remember what it is now) with the homemade raw cat food recipe.

I just looked up Chrons disease - its a form of IBS right?

Nice to hear from another vegan who has to deal with all this raw malarky. I tried bbq'ing her food before I came across raw - I also had a face mask lol. If I have to grind and mince then I will but Im going to try her on this finely ground product first. I thought about buying powdered bonemeal which I might still do actually, even though its lost some of its nutrients.

Thanks for your reply.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

This is VERY interesting! My dog, Jack, had the runs since I got him as a 4month old rescue (from a friend who rescued him but her dog was unimpressed). I first thought he had parvovirus, but nope..... He had every possible antibiotic, steroid, combination of experimental drugs etc over the years to try to "fix" him. What did him the most good for 3-4 years (he actually was normal during that time) was switching to the BARF diet.

The vet I had at the time was an older man, very experienced and VERY caring. He took a particular interest in Jack as he had never successfully treated Chrohn's in a dog before. Yes it is like IBS, but far far worse as it affects EVERY part of the digestive system, and usually ends in lymphoma (which is what eventually happened to Jack and he was euthanised). My human cousin has it too.... Constant battle with medication and symptom control, but there is no cure.

The vet was amazed that Jack was so healthy on the BARF diet, but delighted. This vet didn't sell ANY food in his clinic.... Or anything else other than wormers etc. He actually used to physically chase sales reps out the door! He HATED them lol. My kinda vet..... Not a people-person! jack ðefied everything taught by science, but it worked for HIM. Thing is, we are only at the very beginning of scientific study of the friendly bacteria in our bowels. Cows would die without them, but they clearly play an important role for carnivores and omnivores also. Science just hasn't figured it out yet!

I bought some KEFIR today to offer the cats. Thumbelina often has soft poops, as does Aygo. Aygo had Panleukopenia and that can leave permanent damage, and I don't have Thumbie's history, but it could be the same story with her. The kefir has lactose in, so I will offer a small amount
After and see what happens.

I will say that at 17, your lassie could have a number of issues related to old age. Keep investigating as far as your pocket and her co-operation allow of course, but (unfortunately) there isn't a cure for old age eh? I am never one to give up on an animal because eir life is so precious, but I did euthanise Jack at 7 years old (he wasn't responding to treatment any more) and more recently I euthanised Holmsey (cat) as he had diarrhoea, tests, treatment and the vet finally concluded lymphoma. He was 11, which to me is so young....... He was getting weaker and visibly melting no matter how much he ate (the vet prescription food actually DID stop his loose bowels) so I euthanised him BEFORE he started to suffer pain......