Cat mate flap problems

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Cat mate flap problems

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Hi

Does anyone else have a cat mate cat flap? The model I have is elite and I should be able to program multiple cats to use it. It's activated by their micro chips. Only problem is it won't pick up on my 2nd cat! Has anyone had a similar problem?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat mate flap problems

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I've never used a catflap - but I wonder - could your cat's microchip have moved and made it harder for the flap sensor to detect?

This might sound a bit fantastic but with one of mine, the chip moved until it was just beneath the skin of his neck, and after reading your post I googled and found this -

http://mydog-parlance.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -dogs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is with a dog - but makes you think! :shock:

Hope you find a solution to the problem :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

My Alice's chip migrated half way down her back and to the side. Sounds impossible, but it did.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Heather, if you don't have any luck then it'd be worth taking your cat up to the vets to have the microchip scanned (it's usually free, just call and ask).

When I got my flap I had the same issue with Clive. I took him up to the vets for a check and his chip had either failed or somehow come out as they couldn't detect it. He'd had a nasty fight injury a few years earlier around his armpit and apparently some chips do migrate that far so there's a chance it had come out (although it's very rare). More likely the chip had just failed.

I had him re-chipped and now the flap works fine. Thankfully the incident with the flap meant his failed chip was highlighted, thank goodness, as I'd have been none the wiser otherwise!

A scan at the vets will confirm if the chip has migrated or has completely failed :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

totally agree with Sarie and Mark - my Harry is the king of bling with 3 chips

Chip 1 migrated, chip 2 was a dud that works on and off, but thankfully chip 3 works (even though it too has shifted a bit). I don't know if some cats are just more difficult to chip vs others?

The one thing to make sure of though Heather is if you do go for a 2nd chip make sure the chip company is told of both chips and cross references them. That's what they did for Harry. And because I'm so paranoid about him and his chips I always have him checked over when at the vet - we usually have to spend about 10 minutes trying to locate them all
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Cheapest option was a check over at the vet. Turns out our little Vinnie was trying to go incognito! Off the grid! No microchip detected, God only knows where it is in him/on him/around the house, who knows?! But at least the expensive cat flap doesn't need replaced and vet put a new chip in which is defo in situ and working well! :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Haha glad you got him sorted Heather! I knew chips migrated but I didn't think it was that common for chips to fail or completely disappear but it seems like it is :)
Hopefully now he can get on with using his nice new catflap :D
Karenm
New Cat Chatter

Post by Karenm »

I have a cat mate cat flap and it only reads 1 cat and not the 2nd cat how can I fix this problem
Bbarb
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bbarb »

Well, the replies on here answer that question - get the vet to check his chip.
Karenm
New Cat Chatter

Post by Karenm »

I had my vet check my cats chip and it is fine, cat flap still doesn't work, but it is installed in a metal door does that make a difference