RSPCA

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

RSPCA

Post by msalsa »

I thought that you may like to hear a little story of the past week.
A few days ago I went to my local Sainsburys to do a bit of a shop, there is a small community of feral cats that live at the back of a car park that also backs onto a railway embankment and some grassland. They are a well known group of cats that have been there for some time.
I noticed one of them sitting directly by my car and as he moved off when I parked, he was in obvious distress, he was very lame and could not put his front paw down and was hobbling along. I followed him for a short distance and he let me get quite near then again hobbled off.
So when I returned home and after a little bit of deliberation I decided to call the RSPCA to see if they could help.
After a frustrating conversation with them I was advised to try and catch him or if I could keep visiting the site so I could confirm that he would be at a certain place at a certain time. The RSPCA would only really want to go if they knew the animal would be there.
The next day after work I went with a friend to the car park again and tried to catch him, he was in the same place at the same time and we tried our best, we got close but he managed to get away, I didn't want to keep on trying as he looked distressed enough, I didn't want to keep on chasing him and we also this time noticed that he was sitting in an odd way too.
When I got home I felt just awful and just didn't know what to do for the best so rang the RSPCA again. I told them that I had been to the car park again and the cat was there in the same place at the same time. they said as the cat was there again at the same spot that they would get an inspector to call me, I said I did appreciate that it is difficult to catch any cat let alone a feral one but he did stick out as he was the only ginger one and that there had only been the max of 2 cats there at any one time when I had been, coupled with the fact that he was in the same spot each time.There was a good chance to spot him, I said I would go at 5.30 and meet them there to id him and I felt that I was certain he would be there.
The RSPCA chap called the next morning and left a message to say that they could not be there at that time of day and that it was very expensive to leave a cat trap there and that they could not help and to call local cats protection. to loan a cat trap and try and trap the cat myself.
So I called the local cp.......should have done this in the first place....the local cp said they always get told the RSPCA suggest to call them. Well they know about the feral cats and said that they will try and do something. Today I had a call from them and they are going tomorrow and try to find him. trouble is that if they go a 5.30 the vets are closed so they will try early in the day. I am going to try and get there too.

This is a long message sorry I just needed to off load to you all as I do feel a bit frustrated.
Perhaps I should have just left him to it? I am calling him a him as he looks like an entire Tom with a big neck and cheeks.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: RSPCA

Post by Lilith »

Aww good on yer for caring and good luck!

Yes, I'm afraid it's a familiar story - they play pass the parcel with you - been there done that when I was involved with a feral colony over 10 years ago. I've told some of the story on here but not all - I'm afraid at one point I ended up shouting over the phone at the RSPCA that I was doing their job for them lol.

I hope it won't come to that in this case and do hope you get this lad rescued - he does sound like a full tom, bless him, but he can be rehabilitated - fond memories of a feral ginger tom of my own.

Again good luck and all the best and please keep updating :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, well done you for caring. I hope you get him sorted.

As for the RSPCA.... don't get me started. :x They only seem to bother if the BBC are following with a camera. :roll:

In this area, the local charity, Bright Eyes, does sterling work with strays and ferals. They work closely with CP and local vets to neuter and treat our local ferals.

Are there any heroes like that in your area?
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I gave up with my local animal shelters here in Spain when it came to reporting strays. Believe me, you think the RSPCA is bad, just come over here and see how little the goverment cares for animals, practically all the shelters are privately funded and have very little staff and facilities. And they only come out for severly (AKA, it looks like a freaking horror movie) wounded or dead animals.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

How very frustrating - good on you for persevering. I hope you do manage to help him.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hello everyone
Thank you for your reply's,
I am afraid that I did get a little annoyed with the RSPCA, at one point I did mention that '' its not like the tv program then'' :roll:
The local cp did want to help, much to my relief, apparently they do know about the cats and did have a neutering program with them a couple of years ago, so I felt much better after chatting to them, my only concern it that they said that they will go and look for him in the day, I have not spotted him in the day just in the early evening, cp man said if they go in the evening the vet would be closed.
cp have advised for me not to try and trap him, as he could lash out and I could get badly scratched. I have no experience with ferals just domestic cats.
cp chap did say he may leave a trap and it is a good job the cat is a marmalade ginger tom so he sticks out amongst the others who look black or black and white. He is going today and will let me know what happens.
So I shall just wait and see and hope they get him. I have been told that they hope to be able to repair him if they can and when he is better they will return him back to the colony, if they can.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I know a lot of the RSPCA branches do good but yours is an all too familiar story, seems they only want to get involved in cruelty cases. But without people like you looking out for them there would be a lot of suffering in the cat world so you absolutely did the right thing and a lesson learned just to call the local CP next time.

Will they give you an update?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi....

This is all too familiar and it's disgusting.....I could write you an A4 pad full of stories of the total apathy of the RSPCA, I have yet to hear of one good one...unless of course it's one on the TV and they are all smiles and "look at what we have done..." :evil:

A couple of years ago I called them, when I reported a local man who was always away from home on business, and left his dog with no food or shelter for lengthy periods of time....were they interested?...Not in the least, we used to throw food across the fence to him, poor soul was so hungry, when the owner came back, we gave him what for....he soon left the area...taking the dog with him...had the RSPCA done the job they were paid to do, this man would have had the animal taken from him....he may well be leaving it to starve somewhere else now....it haunts me to imagine...... : :cry:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

So familiar I wouldn't even bother with the price of the phone all, and I have free calls! Same in Ireland where I am. Disgusting, but unless it brings media attention, the RSPCA and ISPCA have no interest. I had it out with the head of the Irish branch over the phone and he hung up on me. That was after police had been called to dogs at THEIR shelter who had been left without food or water over a long weekend. At the ISPCA SHELTER!!!!!!!

Your local cat group is the best bet for helping this guy, and it DOES sound like he needs a helping hand poor mite. Good on you and best wishes to him. Xxxx
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hello

Update so far.
Well the nice chap rang me from cp and said he was going to have a look for him Tuesday afternoon, he said that he couldn't look for him between 5/6pm as the vet would not be open, I said if I was free then I could go and meet him on site, he said he may or may not ring depending as it was my day off.
So I have not heard anything as yet.
I went shopping in Sainsburys last evening and it was raining so didn't think I would see him. So parked up and had a quick look in his bush that he likes and there he was!! so got quite close and then he crept off deeper in the bush he still has his paw up but looked ok ish.
So I had some cat biccies with me and put a pile down and another cat came up and helped herself just hope he got some.
He actualy looks well fed so I think people feed them its just his limp.
I am sure the local cp will do there best they do know of this little group, and have kept an eye on them, its just trying to get him as no one is able to make the time of 5/6pm when he seems to always be there.
It is odd though isnt it that most people who I have spoken to and quite a few people on here have had such a bad time with the RSPCA.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So...not that much further on?

I do hope the CP manage to do something for him - clear that the RSPCA isn't going to try. It's good that he seems to be getting about despite the injury but not ideal! I know it's all very well me just saying this, but surely the CP could trap him and take him into a shelter for one night even if it meant getting him treated and releasing him back on site once he was sorted? (I do know how limited places are btw, especially with the start of kitten season.)

Paws crossed nevertheless for this little guy and all best wishes - and hope he got some biscuits!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

If I were nearby I would do my best, personally. CP and other voluntary groups have a hard time with resources and manpower as volunteers have lives, kids, jobs, their own animals. It is a tough volunteer job!

From reading comments over the years, I believe some branches of CP are better than others in organisation and communication. It is kinda the same here in Ireland with the SPCAs. The ISPCA have absolutely nothing to do with most of the local branches..... Sounds nuts eh?
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi

Quick update
So went along on Sat evening after work to try and make sure he had some biccies and he wasn't in his spot, It was raining so I guess he was under cover somewhere, so the next time I can get back is Thursday after work so will go then and try and see him. I thought it was a bit odd that the chap who rang me from cp couldn't go in the evening and keep him over night until the next day. The only thing I can think of that the Lady in cp mentioned is that the trap could stress him out quite a bid and perhaps they would prefer a quick pick up and direct transfer to the vet.
So I have decided that I shall call them on Sunday if I do not here anything from them and to go over to Sainsburys Thurs/Fri/Sat evening and try and find him.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

It coild be that alright.... If possible I always prefer to do a direct transfer to a vet, as ferals can become so so stressed and stress has a huge negative impact on the immune system. It could also be that they guy simply couldn't make it in the evening due to other commitments. Either way, it seems that they are doing their best. He isn't in immediate danger, and there may also be more urgent cases. It can be very hard to balance it as a volunteer, trying to do the best for multiple cases.

Once, whilst I was hand rearing my Casper and his sister Gerturde (RIP) a woman asked for help with a feral Tom who was "terrorising" her cat. I arranged to trap him in her neighbours garden on a Thursday, with the neighbour's permission. I was gonna TNR him, in the hopes that his aggression would dissipate.

Well, the woman caught him herself a day early, in a cat carrier (turned out he WASN'T feral!) and tried to call me at about 7 am. I was out cold as had been up doing night feeds every 2.5 hours with the babies. I didn't hear the phone and saw her message about a half hour later. I tried to call her immediately, but by the time I got hold of her, she had taken this poor cat, driven him miles away, and DUMPED him beside a very busy main road!

I was hysterical, threatened to call the police as she was guilty of animal abandonment, and made her drive me to where she had dumped him. No luck. I tried multiple times over the next few days to no avail. Then the cat charity I volunteered with at the time were very nice to her, and blamed ME! I now no longer volunteer lol.

I had nothing to do with trapping and abandoning that poor cat..... And did everything I could to get him back after it was done. All while I was going to work with 2 baby kittens in my car, feeding them between giving lessons!

So.... Life as a volunteer can be hard, and you do sometimes have to prioritise cases really. Keep on to them, and I am sure they will help your poor puss. It sounds like he is managing ok, and they are watching the colony. Someone else could be feeding them too and taking care of him. Do let us know how it turns out though! Xxx
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Sorry to hear that Cussypat :( some people can be such arses.

I admit I also walk by a few feral cat areas and they are well looked after in terms of fresh food and water by the locals. (If I hit the right time I'll see 3 or 4 cats doing the "Abbey Road" walk behind one of the nice people putting food out over the road.)
Quite often I'll see one guy called Jordi putting out food in one area I pass almost daily and we have a chat. It's nice to see people taking care of the homeless guys that the Shelters can't house.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

'Interesting' that the few times I have contacted the RSPCA with concerns, I have always been told that inspectors are thin on the ground and if nothing is done within 6 weeks, to contact them again etc, yet Simon Cowell claims he had one in to check that one of the performing dogs on one of his rubbish TV shows was being treated properly. I really do wonder if they are only interested when there is media involved.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think you have something there Mark!
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hi

I haven't been logged on for a while as I have been on holiday,
I have been over to the Sainsbury's a few times and always look for him, I have seen him some times and he looks ok, still is quite chunky and he was basking in the sun when I saw him last, poor love knows its me now and backs up into a bush, I leave him some treats and back off myself. He did still have a paw up but it didn't seem quite as bad......or perhaps its wishful thinking.
I have not rung the cp again, I find the lady difficult to talk to, when I spoke to her last she did say that she knew about them and thanked me for my contact, and so I shall just keep on checking on him now and again.
I can't watch the latest RSPCA dog rescue program, it makes me angry now.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, thanks for the update and glad the ginger man is holding his own - but very disappointing that he's had no support.

For the sake of streamlining the story, I've never told this before but when my Finn (another ginger man) needed help (he was a very standoffish feral entire tom with terrible ears and a running abscess on his backside) initially I rang the cp and got a reassuring response of: Oh dear yes, we'll be along with a trap and get him taken in. I HAD assured them that they could return him 'on site' as they term it and that I'd undertake to feed and supervise him. Then they dropped me. Phone messages went unanswered and in the end I managed to trap the lad myself with tuna in a carrier (he was coming to my house daily and even into the cellar through the window.) I thought he' never speak to me again after his neutering and medical care but he moved in and we had ten happy years together.

It would be far more realistic for an organisation like this to be honest and say, 'I'm sorry, we can't come out.' At least then you know where you stand. I'm so glad your ginger man is still on his feet (well, three of them) but it could have so easily gone the other way. I do wish (and I'm sure you do too) that that paw could have been properly treated though.

As for the RSPCA...in the 80s I was working as a cleaner in a garage next to a bakery and butcher's where there was a big feral population. Sometimes the toms would get into the mechanics' bay and spray and the owner (not a pleasant man) threatened to bring his guns (he owned guns) and, as he put it, 'have a cull.' I was pretty certain he'd only threatened in order to wind me up (he knew I had cats) but all the same I thought I'd do a little confidential research - and rang the RSPCA. Well. Talk about jumping down my throat. It was made clear that they thought I was planning to do 'the cull'.

They don't seem to have improved. I've heard them called the 'Reluctant Society' ... :evil:

Good on yer for continuing to care for this lad and his mates, all best wishes for his recovery :)
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

It truly is terrible that so many of the large rescues have this reputation amongst the people MOST likely to call them! I now work alone, and I do have to tell people I cannot help at times. Or offer what help I can, which is limited. I can offer them traps or time or tell them about cheap options for neutering, but I am ALWAYS honest and if I SAY I will do something, I do it!
For these huge, well funðed groups to dismiss a cat with a possibly broken leg and fob a concerned person off with NO actual action taken, is a bloody disgrace IMO. It makes me so angry!
If you are overwhelmed and can do no more, say so! Give numbers of other rescues! That is what I do. It doesn't matter if you deal with 40 animals or 4000 animals, if you reach that point, you NEED to at least say you cannot help and refer the caller to someone who might be able to!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

And for the record, and injured animal is one I would move heaven and earth to get to...... The fact that they are basically ignoring him is a DISGRACE from a well funded charity. Imagine a children's charity ignoring calls about a limping child!!!!! I am FUMING!