music for cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

music for cats

Post by nanny pamy »

Ive just typed in 'music for cats' on YouTube and its amazing how many there are. Some have been developed by scientists t help cats sleep and relax. You must take a look and read some of the comments. Funny
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: music for cats

Post by nannymcfee »

" Midnight , not a sound from the pavement ".....

thats what i thought the thread was going to be about....

:D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Doesn't surprise me lol - almost all my cats have had their own 'tune' or song - which they've recognised.

However, my George (1983-2001) who I've mentioned before, a huge black 3/4 Siamese, Beast of Bodmin lookalike, took this to extremes.

He spent most of his life in a rural area where he enjoyed hunting in the field behind the house, to the extent of dining on his prey and dossing overnight to sleep off a full stomach. But I did like to keep tabs on him so if he'd been absent I'd walk up the field and whistle this -

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ser ... B5BC287462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The serenade from Bizet's 'Fair Maid of Perth'. Bear with the boring intro - it's the main tune that George went mad on.

After a few bars - 'Waow!' And a pair of black ears would appear from behind a clump of grass or bramble.

I've heard that whistling irritates cats and that they react in order to stop you. This may be so but George only ever responded to 'Fair Maid'. If I sang or whistled it to him in the house he'd get on to my lap and bat me round the face, claws in - he was always the gentleman, bless him :)
Last edited by Lilith on Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Fishface always sang along to my rendition of Wuthering Heights, and liked proper music, Bach, Mozart, Holst etc...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I remember when I went through years of addiction to Gilbert and Sullivan (sad I know.)

The scene from 'Iolanthe' where the fairy queen and her attendants invade the house of lords:

'It is rude Madam, to intrude Madam, with your brood Madam!'

Siamese queens and kittens marauding the dinner table would be told 'It is rude, Madam, to intrude, Madam, with your brood, Madam, where there's food, Madam!'

When my ex-feral Emily moved in with HER brood, she had the most terrible digestive problems, adapting to conventional cat food.

There's the scene in HMS Pinafore where they're creeping about the ship in the dead of night:

'Goodness me! What was that? Silent be - it was the cat.'

When poor Emily let off one of her stinkbombs, how undignified for the lass, it was, 'Goodness me! What was THAT? It was the cat, the ginger cat...'

She still recognises that tune after almost 13 years lol :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

OH and I both sing to the cats on occasion, but I'm not sure anybody could actually recognise a tune from our efforts!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh dear sorry to keep hogging this thread but this is Molly's tune, the Maidrin Rua (pronounced approximately 'Matherin Ra') - the little fox. The Gaelic actually means 'little red dog' - the proper word for fox is 'sionnach' as far as I know from my limited knowledge of Gaelic but anyway...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pog ... E30E3166D3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the Pogues, so enjoy! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm afraid as our house is in a black hole when it comes to a radio signal, our cats don't get to hear much music. Sometimes, when I have the time, I might inflict my taste in music on then via a CD, otherwise it's only when I sing, poor little beggers. :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Love the Pogues, I'm afraid my gang have to put up with 'Red Roses' at full blast sometimes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Bobby'sgirl, do you caterwaul? In my younger bolder days I did a fair amount of folksinging - I try not to let rip too often because of the poor neighbours but sometimes the cats do get serenaded :oops:

Ah Crewella, 'Red Roses' - nothing better, unless it's the album 'If I should Fall From Grace With God' - lovely growly vocals from Shane McG :D (That guy must be even more scared of dentists than I am!)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith wrote:Lol Bobby'sgirl, do you caterwaul?
:lol: It might sound like that!

Sorry, the Pogues leave me cold, more of and Eagles fan (Queen, Billy Joel, Ella Fitzgerald and a great dollop of Wagner- used to have a 'phone with 'Ride of the Valkyries' as a ring tone)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_nbrW5cMU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cats and I also like this guy - John Martyn :)

Oh...Queen, one of my all time favourites, 'Killer Queen'!

A breeder friend of mine had a fabulous Siamese tabby point boy whose pedigree name was 'Mercury' and his pet name Freddie, in honour of. One of his kittens went to a guy who knew a guy who was doing the artwork for one of Queen's album covers and apparently the real Freddie Mercury was a cat lover and delighted to hear of his namesake :D