Pet Porte or Surflap?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Pet Porte or Surflap?

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi all

It's getting to the time when I need to let Sammy out, but my other new puss, Elsie (sorry, haven't introduced you to her yet - long story) is way off that stage, if ever. Sam's huge, so I need a large micro-chip operated cat flap that can be mounted in glass, and will definitely NOT LET ELSIE OUT!! however hard she tries.

Can anyone tell me their experiences of these? How reliable are they, and are they definitely safe against non-registered cats? I'm worried that even if I don't register Elsie's chip to the cat flap, if she follows hot on Sammy's heels, or just plain tries to break through the flap, that she might still get out.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Pet Porte or Surflap?

Post by MarkB »

I don't have any personal experience with either, but sold on the fact that unless things have changed, you need an electric socket nearby for the Petporte. The Sureflap is battery operated. Also the fact that they do a large version.

We are waiting until we get a new back door and will have it done at the same time. We could have done with one now to let Kylie & Dom out but keep Ingrid in! :)
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Scout Storm »

Hi
I have a Surflap cat flap, the large size ( big cats :) It is fitted into a glass door. Once the microchips are registered you are good to go. I have had no problems with unwanted cats getting in, they sometimes try but have not managed it. Occassionaly when one of the cats goes out the flap does not lock back into place, so another cat could push there way out, but this does not happen alot.
Only one of my cats use it the other 3 just stand outside and pop their head in to trigger the lock release and a sign to summons me to open the door.
Hope this helps.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Hmm, I'm reading conflicting reviews on these. It seems the Sureflap will let all cats out, but only chip-registered cats in. Is that the case? If so, no good for me, as it won't keep Elsie in.

And what happens when the battery runs out on the Sureflap, or there's a powercut with the Pet Porte?
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Sureflap do a flap called the DualScan which allows you to totally dictate which cats can go out and which can't. Their standard flap does just let all cats out though.

The Sureflap has a battery warning light on it so you should catch it long before they run out. I'm not sure about the Pet Porte and a powercut though!

I know when I did the comparison they both had drawbacks but the Sureflap won in most areas over the PetPorte :)