Kylie has decided to stay outside.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Kylie has decided to stay outside.

Post by MarkB »

Kylie was always the type of cat that would go out before I got up and stay in the garden until bedtime (apart from coming in for food) if it was mild outside. About 3 years ago, she started going out less & less. Usually for 5 minutes max. I wasn't sure if it was because the torties were around, or because she was getting on a bit. Just recently, she has been staying out for 1/2 an hour or more. Because I started keeping the flap locked when Victoria (one of the torties) kept letting herself in, Kylie stopped using it. She would bash on it for me to let her in. Just recently I have been setting the flap on 'in only' for Dom. Today I was out for lunch for a couple of hours. Kylie was outside and settled in her garden bed (manky old thing :) ) I was scared of taping the flap open in case Ingrid got out. I decided to leave it on 'in only' and if she really wanted to get in, she could. I was a bit worried while I was out, but when I got back at 2.30pm, she was still asleep out there :) - Unfortunately, she decided to eat from the seagull dish - not good with her stomach issues. Anyway, she has just wandered in (I taped the flap open tonight) So over 10 hours outside. I'm not sure if it is because the torties have gone, if she is starting to feel better, or if she had cabin fever in the basement! (she isn't going upstairs lately - to avoid Ingrid possibly? - anyway, any thoughts?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Kylie has decided to stay outside.

Post by Crewella »

I guess it could be any or all of the above!! How is she getting on with Ingrid in general?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She isn't - Kylie is staying in the lower ground floor and Ingrid is going everywhere but :) - I just hope Kylie i staying down there because she wants to, rather than that she feels she has to.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

They tend to eventually work it out. Tips spends most of the day upstairs in 'her' bedroom. When she is downstairs or in the garden, she gives Squeak a hard time. She just about tolerates Henry and Grey, but just simply cannot work it out with Squeak. That's just the way it is. Her mum, Luna, was the same. Would have loved to have been a sole cat.

I am sure that Kylie and Ingrid will sort out a routine to suit them both. I hope so anyway. They are both such gorgeous girls :)
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

My guess would be she is feeling better, I dread to think how long my Marilyn has been in pain for as there is such a difference in her, she is running round the garden and purring all the time, she has stopped hunching over in corners and heat seeking.
She is just how she was years ago....
So if her tummy issues are improving and in turn she is not in pain it's possible she is just getting back to her old self.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The thing is, she had the runs this morning, but still seems better in herself. Apart from being outside all day yesterday, she jumped over the back of the sofa and was playing with the (safe) blind cords. She did it again today :)

I will book her in again for next week, but we are running out of ideas.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

What is she eating now?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

After her refusing point blank to eat RC Hypoallergenic and ZD, I have switched her back to Purina One sensitive. Her poos seemed to start firming up when I switched her from Felix to Whiskas, so maybe it s the dry. Ria sent me some Arden Grange, which arrived just before the ZD. I had forgotten until Ria reminded me this morning. I am going to give that another try.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

I tried quite a few dried and the best for her tummy and that she likes are zd and rc gastro intestinal, seems to be more upset by dried too as is fine on small amounts of Felix and applaws with it (not agail tho) so I do think it's the dried you perhaps need to crack, I'm lucky in that Marilyn isn't that fussy and mainly eats dry anyway and always has.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

You said she had runs, could that be the aftermath of pinching the seagulls food. :D what gourmet left overs was it ?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

did you ever try her on Hills D/D Mark? it's a single source protein (venison) and green pea dry food, aimed at cats with skin problems from allergic reactions to food, but might work on Kylie's gut problems
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I haven't tried D/D yet Kay. I have tried RC Hypoallergenic, Hiil's ZD (hydrolysed protein) , JWB No Cereal, Sanabelle Sensitive - as well as regular single protein type foods like JWB, Arden Grange etc. One of the biggest problems is that she is set in her ways. If she doesn't want it, she won't eat it.

I don't think the food from the bird plate upset her as this is a chronic problem, she has been on regular ABs as well as metronidazole. Also tried Probitotics, had full bloods done (clear) and tested a poo sample (also clear)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Have you tried her on Purina HA? Did wonders for Hector...
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I haven't tried that either. I guess I can order some of the two suggested and hope that she will eat them. The fact that it is made by Purina should help. Having said that, I thought the same with the Hill's one. She was on Hill's light and then the obesity one for years.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It seems Kylie has relearned the flap :) - We went out tonight (to see Katherine Ryan) and Kylie was in the garden. I didn't want to risk Ingrid getting out, so had the flap set on 'in only' when we got back just after 10pm, she was indoors curled up in her bed :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Clever girl, Kylie. Nice that she came in for a kip, too. It must be colder tonight! :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

This morning she is on the sofa that she hasn't been on for years - firstly occupied by Alice and later, Laz. She isn't looking too bright. I think we will be back at the vets. It is so hard to read her. In some ways, she seems brighter, but in others, she seems to be losing her mojo :(
Attachments
kyliesofa.jpg
kyliesofa.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

There's no fathoming cats sometimes. Grumpy Nellie has kept herself to herself ever since she arrived, has always slept in another room from the others, and has never been keen on Daz, who likes to chase her. Suddenly, this year, she's been coming into the living room to see us and from time to time will now settle down for a nap on the back of the sofa or behind the radiator.

On the other hand, she's even grumpier than usual and has been having a right old go at the boys, even Merrick who she's lived with all her life. I'm guessing that this is all to do with Pugwash's arrival, but overall I really couldn't say if things are any 'better' or any 'worse' for her! :roll:

Hopefully the change in Kylie is a natural 'settling' due to the recent changes in your household, and not to do with her health? My old Minnie had gut problems all her life and I don't believe she managed to produce a single proper 'normal' poo in the last 7/8 years of her life, but she still lived happily to 19. Give lovely, glossy Kylie a fuss from me. xx