Lost one of 2 siblings - should we get a new kitten?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
purpleplectrum
New Cat Chatter

Lost one of 2 siblings - should we get a new kitten?

Post by purpleplectrum »

Last year me and my partner rescued 2 gorgeous kittens - a boy and a girl called Sully (male) and Boo (female). 2 weeks ago we were absolutely heartbroken when we came home to find that Boo had been killed by a car outside our home :cry:. She was so affectionate and loving and our home feels so different without her. Sully seems to be coping okay with being on his own but has the occasional spell where he runs around crazily and seems to be looking for her. We are starting to think it might be a good idea to get another kitten as Sully is still only 9 months old and we worry he may soon get used to being the only cat around.

Does anyone have any advice? I have read that it would be best to introduce a young kitten rather than an older cat, possibly female so that he feels less threatened? Others I have spoken to think we should leave it with just him but I'm not sure what to do and whether to act quickly so that he still remembers the times when he would have another cat to play with. He and Boo were very close so it seems a shame for him to be alone :cry:

Thanks everyone
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lost one of 2 siblings - should we get a new kitten?

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and very sorry to hear about your loss of poor Boo.

I feel that every home is different, every owner is different and every cat is different, so basically it's down to you.

Some owners grieve for a long time and take a long time to accept the idea of a new cat. I'm afraid I'm one of these - but I always feel that the greatest tribute a bereaved owner can pay the cat is to find another cat who needs that good home...contradictory or what? Lol.

My personal feelings are that a home should have at least three cats, finances and time permitting, so that one is never left alone - but I know of a neighbour who had two cats, siblings, and the girl was bullied horribly by the boy. After his death, on her own, she blossomed and came into her own, and was happy for the first time in her life...

And on the other hand girls can be the most horrible little bullies too, so a female may not be more un-threatening than a boy.

However, the cat is what matters most and from what you say I do feel that Sully would welcome company, and yes, in view of his youth, a kitten might be the best option, that he can 'parent' - as he will, and run around and play with. He's still very young and cats are communal animals...if you do decide to introduce another kitten there may be hissings and carryings on, but it doesn't take long for things to settle down.

Or they may surprise you. 30 years ago I knew a cat rescue worker who had a Siamese among her resident cats. Frequently she said that he was lonely because he had nobody of his own nationality to pal up with. I thought this was total sentimentality!

Eventually she got the offer of a homeless Siamese, an adult neutered male like her first boy. When she brought him home, Siamese No 1 was in the same room when she opened No 2's carrier. Si 1 promptly jumped into the carrier and virtually embraced his compatriot! They were inseparable after that!

They're all different and they'll always surprise you. I think, follow your gut instinct - oh and there are zillions of kittens out there at the moment - you will never replace Boo but do hope Sully finds a friend :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Lilith in that all cats are different and the situation could go either way, however, it does sound as though Sully might appreciate some feline company. In your place I think I'd look for a slightly older kitten so that you can have some idea of the cat's character. You really need to make sure that the incomer is a sociable type that also enjoys feline company, and that's hard to tell in young kittens. A good rescue will advise and help you to make the right choice for Sully, and (in case you've not read it) I've posted the link to Cat Chat's indroductions advice page so you can read up the best way to start them off together. Good luck!

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aldahbra
New Cat Chatter

Post by Aldahbra »

I agree with the above but I would have thought the younger the kitten is the more chance of success.
purpleplectrum
New Cat Chatter

Post by purpleplectrum »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think we will look into getting a young kitten and take some time to slowly introduce them. Sully is quite territorial and has regular hissy fights with other cats in our garden but was as soft as anything with Boo so I'm hoping that if we take our time he will start to really love another cat.

Obviously no cat will ever replace Boo but Sully is so lonely at the moment it is heart breaking to see :cry:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww, paws crossed for a happy ending!

Love to Sully and keep us posted :)