Luca has just left us.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Luca has just left us.

Post by nannymcfee »

I fed Luca at 07.30 this morning, then he did his usual as hiding under my coat hung on chair to pounce and pretend to attack me, logged on internet,drank a cuppa, just gone to make another cup of tea and Luca was laid on floor, at first i thought he was having a rest, but no, he has gone to sleep, i think he must have had a massive heart attack or stroke, but i couldn't bring hime back...he did feel really warm yesterday..

this hasn't sunk in yet as he was the most cheeky loving, fat, roast chicken loving stray cat i have ever known...tears are starting to flow...

RIP Luca Montalbano XXX
Attachments
luca haha.JPG
luca haha.JPG (12.5 KiB) Viewed 5316 times
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Luca has just left us.

Post by MarkB »

So Sorry :( - It must have been a shock for you. Lovely boy.

Not much of one, but the only consolation is that he must have gone quickly and at home where he was loved - far worse ways to go - still very sad :cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, that must have been a dreadful shock, I'm so very sorry. (((hugs)))

I do agree with Mark's post, and all the more so for an ex-stray. He was a lucky boy to end his days with someone who cared that he loved roast chicken. That's a lovely picture - he looks a happy cat.

Rest in peace gorgeous Luca. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh what a shock, how dreadful for you :(

Hopefully the suddenness of it meant he didn't suffer.

RIP lovely lad x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry Nanny, what a terrible shock for you! The one consolation, as everyone has said, it was quick. You gave him a second chance and a lovely one at that.

I will think of him and his roast chicken every time I watch the other Montalbano tucking into his pasta!

Big ((hugs)) to you. RIP sweet Luca. x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but he went happy, and saved you having to make a decision. RIP little one
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

So very very sorry to hear!

As has been said, he had a lovely life after he found you, and to go like that, to start the day as normal, tease you - and then, just to fall asleep, in his own home...

It's the way we'd all like our cats to go, to say nothing of ourselves, but the shock for you must be appalling. We know they've got to go sometime but when it happens...

Sleep tight Luca and hugs to you Nannymcfee from Lil x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Big hugs, bless you, Nanny. RIP gorgeous boy. xxx
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Rest in Peace little Luca. xxx

I hope you're holding up okay Nannymcfee. We're here for you if you need us.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

I thought i would be strong enough to revisit this page, but now finding it so difficult to reread all your beautiful messeges on Luca, a mist is forming and i am welling up yet again...

It is the what ifs ...what if i had made a cake instead of turning computer on, what if he had stayed outside that morning...the list goes on.

But as many have said he died in the best way , when he first arrived, every evening at the same time, 6, he would wander down our cul de sac and cross a quite busy road,when all people were on way home ( a lady across the road fed him too initially ) must have been when she came home from work, if i saw him toddling down i would call him and run and fetch him back, but there was no stopping him otherwise, and my heart was in my mouth, if he wasn't here for 7pm.After a few months he stopped going and never left the garden or his favourite spot under the radiator, and there he stayed.

Thank you so much again for the love shown.

Elaine
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Your little boy knew where he was safe and loved. Thinking of you today. What an awful week it must have been for you. I hope these messages help you a little. Big hugs. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you so much Elaine. You'll find the posts a comfort in time.

I'm going through all those thoughts too. The "what ifs" and "this time last week".

Thank you for thinking of me and posting on Fluffy's thread at such a difficult time.

Love

Carol xxxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Thinking of you both (((hugs))) xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Nannymcfee, thinking about you today especially as it's the first Sunday come round again since Luca left. Love and hugs, Lil x
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Thank you,

Lilith, i woke at same time as last Sunday, and still feel Luca is here, i talk to him all the time, but moved my coat a little off the floor so i'll remember he isn't there hiding still and waiting to pounce, even thought a car mat in porch was him in dark, til i realised! keep saying well this time last Saturday and such, you were still here.....

I looked up what had happened to him, and it can happen at any age, but the suddeness of it , is what i cannot quite deal with yet.

I would love to have known where he had been living before plonking himself here, but i guess will never know.

My son had taken some photos of him climbing the tree the other week , as he did make us laugh out loud , he always hugged it all the way up, like a fat black Koala Bear, but he only had them on snapshot and didn't download them, as did not think of this ! so all we are left with is the photo of Luca sticking his tongue out when i said 'Oi arn't you playing out at all ' ! but it does capture his silly ways.

XXX
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I take it he wasn't that elderly then?

To lose an elderly and failing cat is still terrible, even when we know their time with us is limited and to have to make the decision to go to the vet with them, well, can't put that into words, but to lose a cat without warning is...well, again I can't put that into words either!

I think they do hang around. I know the spooky stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea and I won't go on about it but I've had that same experience. A strong bond isn't broken that easily and I feel all our cats who've left us are waiting for us to join them in the future. My old Finn left in Sept 2013 and I STILL catch myself thinking that I've got three gingers lol! Cats are very mysterious!

Aww it's a shame you haven't got the snaps of Luca tree-climbing, though that pic of him cheekily yawning at you is perfect; he looks a right character!

It's such a pity we have so few years with them on this earth.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

I am so very sorry to hear this awful news. I was on holiday last week and am just catching up with things so missed your post until now.

Luca sounds like he was a real character who will be badly missed.

RIP young man. Play hard at the bridge xxxx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

He still ran around like a lunatic, so never knew his age but was not a young cat.

I have been worrying now that perhaps he banged his head on the chair when he rushed in, even made Phoebe walk under it a few times to make sure she clears the runners.

Miss my little witches cat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

nannymcfee wrote:I have been worrying now that perhaps he banged his head on the chair when he rushed in,
Don't think that way. Something similar happened to our Cassidy. He was a stray who adopted us and had only been with us a few months. He went missing and we found him very close to the house, curled up as if asleep. The vet said it was probably a sudden, massive heart attack and that no one would have been able to do anything about it.

It was an awful thing to happen, but it sounds like it happened very fast and he did not suffer. Try and comfort yourself with that thought. Plus, you made his life a happy one. ((Hugs))
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, yes, as Bobbys girl says...

In all the years I've known cats I've never failed to marvel at the way they bash themselves about when playing or just fooling. A couple of kittens wrestling could whack their heads against sharp corners in a way that would make my eyes water - and they never seemed to notice! A hefty adult can come barging in and crash into a chair and send it flying, and the cat continues on its merry way, whereas a human would be seeing stars.

Such a pity Luca couldn't have stayed longer with you in this world x