Electric/Hybrid cars and cats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Electric/Hybrid cars and cats

Post by MarkB »

I was listening to something about these cars on the radio earlier. There was a phone-in and they were reading emails out. One man emailed to say that in the 2 years he has had his hybrid car, he has hit 6 cats. He said it never happened once in all the years he was driving a regular car. :(

As if it isn't bad enough already.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Electric/Hybrid cars and cats

Post by nannymcfee »

Shocking, probably as they are quiet, or was he just going out of his way to spot cats.

Anyone know how to electrify the car with 500,0000 volts! or send him through a car wash still plugged in ?.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The point was that they don't make any sound - the presenter said it wasn't a boast. Someone on the phone-in said they upset horses too. He said lots of horses are used to cars, but they hear them before they see them.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh gawd - I'd never even thought of that. What a worry. :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We have a 'regular' car, but she does run very quiet. I have had some close calls with folks stepping out in front of me because they didn't hear me coming. What chance would anyone, animal or human, have with a 'silent' car?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Our car roars. It also has a safety thing whereby it brakes before it hits anyone/thing. I asked the salesman if if would stop for a cat. He thought my question was quite amusing :twisted: - he said, no, it can only sense things that are more than 1/2 metre high or something.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

We've had similar problems over here with Hybrid Taxis. They're so quiet you don't hear them in the less populated areas. We've even had problems with people that don't look before they cross. I suppose it's something we'll have to get used to as we go more Eco friendly.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

MarkB wrote: it can only sense things that are more than 1/2 metre high or something.
Well that's toddlers banjaxed!

The best gizmo ever is the reversing sensor. I wish all cars had them. Ours goes off if you are too close to a 6" kerb (or a geranium!) and is literally a kitty life saver. :)
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I was thinking the exact same thing about toddlers lol! Gawd..... Dn't want a hybrid car now. I have never hit a cat, but have hit 2 birds and hubby hit a rat one night. Birds seem suicidal at times..... I reckon there was something wrong with the rat already as we were doing about 30kmph and he didn't move. My ex once hit a fox and it was just AWFUL. He braked, and the fox ran into the hedge, but as he took off again, the fox doubled back right under the car wheels. I will never forget that night..... We were both so upset.