Patches ears came off....

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Patches ears came off....

Post by Cussypat1974 »

They were amputated on Tuesday and are healing really well, the vet was delighted at her post-op visit today. I felt TERRIBLE on Tuesday night as she was going crazy with the buster collar on. So much so I had to crate her. She actually tried to run through the window pane.....
She is much calmer now and has accepted her fate as a satellite dish! It is such a relief that she came through the anaesthetic well and is healing well, because I have absolutely no idea how old she is and do not know her FIV status. We has always been very healthy so I never had any reason to check it. Most of both ears are gone now, but there is still a chance that the cancer will return. Hopefully I will be able to put sunscreen on her in future though, now her ears won't be over sensitive.
The vet did tell me there was special sun screen available for cats, but that the baby stuff I have always used is fine too. The special stuff is unavailable here and can only be bought online. T be honest, I think I am happier with the baby stuff, as that has to be tested properly and be child safe eh? Not so sure the cat version would have such stringent controls applied to it!
Anyway, I had to go look at awful pics of cats with terrible ear cancer on Tuesday night, just to reassure myself that I had done the right thing. I felt like a monster for putting her through it all. She is the sweetest little cat I have ever known. Sme of the pics were horrendous, and I know it was the right thing to do! Her ears were just bald, pink and a little flaky (like dandruff ) but if left to progress, the ears turn black and basically rot off..... I can only imagine the pain involved....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Patches ears came off....

Post by Crewella »

I'm glad she's recovering well. Ear cancer is one of my nightmares for Daz with his white ears and outdoor hunting habits - I do use kiddie sunblock and check them regularly (if I can see through all the accumulated dirt the sunblock attracts - I reckon the dirt gives better protection than the actual sunscreen!).

Ear cancer is horrible, you've done the right thing and she'll be right as rain soon. xx