Rainbow bridge

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Rainbow bridge

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi everyone
really enjoying catchat which I joined a few days ago for info on a stray we have taken in. I've been browsing and since I lost my precious cher in April after almost 13 years I started reading bereavement section. I So wish I had been a member then! Was utterly devestated to have to put her to sleep and totally understand other members pain. Also know I'm not an oddball for loving her so much. Really comforting to know people care.Our Sonny, her sibling from the same litter also grieved, never spent a day apart in 13 years then she went to the vets and never came home. At least we understand what happened . He changed over night and is only now getting back to himself I felt so helpless I couldn't help hm understand. I only read a few posts as cried my eyes out but it did help so thanks to all.
Just one other thing where is rainbow bridge? I'm assuming an imaginary place for cats and where did it come from.....Just wondering
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rainbow bridge

Post by Lilith »

Hi, it's a poem -

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't read it though as I'm a coward; I'm afraid I don't often read the Rainbow Bridge section because otherwise, like you - Niagara!

Having said that I have to admit to liking the Henry Scott-Holland poem, 'Death is Nothing At All':

'I am waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner.'

No matter how many times it happens though, it never gets any better. Very sorry to hear of your loss of Cher (hugs) and also of Sonny's grief. That is the worst, not being able to explain to an animal!

Recently another member posted about how much a parent hurt them by saying 'it's only a cat!'

Only! :evil:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'd not heard of Rainbow Bridge before I joined CC. It is a recent 'invention' based on much older ideas.

Some Scholars will tell us there are no animals in Heaven - as they have no souls (then some scholars say there is no Heaven!) I believe in both. I won't get preachy, but I believe in a God who loves us as a Father and what dad would want us to be parted from something/one who has meant so much to us.

Years ago, a friend was talking to a young girl who was upset to think that she would be parted from her beloved collie dog. The dog was curled up asleep by the fire. She got up, walked over to the girls on the sofa and put a paw on the owners knee and her head on one side. My friend said, 'I think you have your answer, she'll never leave you.' :)

I'm looking forward to the day when we'll all be together again - It'll be some party.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

BobbysGirl - that sort of reminds me of over 30 years ago when my dad passed away. Unbeknown to us our neighbours cat Blackie passed away on the same day as my dad. Their youngest daughter was devastated but apparently quite consoled when her mom (Mabel) told her that not to worry, Blackie has gone with Uncle Karl to keep him company.

My mom and Mabel did have a good giggle at this a few weeks later as my dad really wasn't fond of cats and we often think he's probably up there in the clouds, sitting in his armchair, puffing away at his pipe and wondering just how the heck he ended up with a black cat on his lap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if you have a big box of tissues handy, you will find this rather beautiful, I think

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

meriad wrote: puffing away at his pipe and wondering just how the heck he ended up with a black cat on his lap :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kay wrote:if you have a big box of tissues handy, you will find this rather beautiful, I think
You are right!
Nicyorke79
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Nicyorke79 »

Aww that was lovely, had me in tears
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

wow, had a good bubble there. Feel better for it though. How lovely. Thanks to all of you for your replies. x
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Lilith wrote:Hi, it's a poem -

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't read it though as I'm a coward; I'm afraid I don't often read the Rainbow Bridge section because otherwise, like you - Niagara!

Having said that I have to admit to liking the Henry Scott-Holland poem, 'Death is Nothing At All':

'I am waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner.'

No matter how many times it happens though, it never gets any better. Very sorry to hear of your loss of Cher (hugs) and also of Sonny's grief. That is the worst, not being able to explain to an animal!

Recently another member posted about how much a parent hurt them by saying 'it's only a cat!'

Only! :evil:
" ONLY A CAT " _ so wrong to say that to anyone who is grieving! Love is love and whether you love them or loathe them is irrelevant, that is someone's pain. It's a bit like saying oh don't be silly it's just a grandmother! It's not as though she sat on your lap every night, and kept you company, made you laugh so often (I won't go on..) Loss is so hard x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

meriad wrote:BobbysGirl - that sort of reminds me of over 30 years ago when my dad passed away. Unbeknown to us our neighbours cat Blackie passed away on the same day as my dad. Their youngest daughter was devastated but apparently quite consoled when her mom (Mabel) told her that not to worry, Blackie has gone with Uncle Karl to keep him company.

My mom and Mabel did have a good giggle at this a few weeks later as my dad really wasn't fond of cats and we often think he's probably up there in the clouds, sitting in his armchair, puffing away at his pipe and wondering just how the heck he ended up with a black cat on his lap :lol: :lol: :lol:
I loved that. :)

I'd not heard of Rainbow Bridge before I came to Cat Chat either, but I always believed something similar - it just gave a name to it. xx