Pugwash is missing (sadly, he's gone)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Pugwash is missing (sadly, he's gone)

Post by Crewella »

Sorry I've been AWOL for a few days. Busy week at work and foster kittens in the bathroom have taken up all my time. Kittens now (thankfully, as of yesterday) have a proper rescue place.

I have thought Puggy was a bit out of sorts for a couple of days, he was not quite as keen on his food as usual (though he did eat it all eventually) and seemed to be wandering round the house looking a bit lost from time to time. Yesterday, both of us mentioned that we were a bit concerned about him, and both of us had a cuddle with him and commented that he seemed happier to be cuddled and more loving than his usual grumpy self and it was as though some of the fight had gone out of him.

He went out at 11 this morning, and I've not seen him since. We've searched all over the garden, calling, and all down the road (unlikely, but just in case). If I'm honest, in my heart of hearts I suspect he might have gone off somewhere to die.

We will, of course, keep searching for him - I'm more concerned that he's got stuck somewhere, as he's none too steady on his legs. Paws crossed for him, please. xx
Last edited by Crewella on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pugwash is missing

Post by Lilith »

All paws crossed here, definitely, snakes are crossing their tails - hope he returns safe and sound! x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Fingers crossed he is just exploring and will come home. I have never really understood if 'going off to die' really happens. I remember I found Willow under a car on someones drive near the end, but thoughtit might be a one-off. He seemed to be doing so well.

Hopefully better news in the morning.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys - I really hope so. xx

I've just been out with a torch, hoping I might catch the torchlight in his eves if he's holed up somewhere, but no luck. There's so much scrub and shrubbery here, suddenly the 1.5 acre garden I was so thrilled with when we moved seems like less of a great idea.

As Pugwash was already such an elderly cat when he arrived, he's never really seemed to want to explore the garden much, he tends to have a potter round the front lawn and have a kip in one or two sport in the shrubbery, but he's definitely not in any of his usual spots. I really can't imagine he's suddenly decided to go exploring, especially as he's seemed a bit below-par for the last couple of days.

I've actually never had a cat pass away from natural causes, all of my oldies went with assistance when the time came, but I do know several people who say their oldie went off somewhere on their own. Obviously I'm really hoping not, but I just have this feeling ........ :(
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh, poor Puggy. I do hope he comes home safe, Crewella. Fingers crossed for you. And Dave's paws are crossed.

Please let us know if he turns up. I hope so.

Grace &Dave xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Just as an afterthought - could he have snuck off into a corner of the house? And had a nice long snooze, as they do. Oh? You were looking for me?

Some of mine have died at home and although I was there, they've taken the opportunity to go just as my back was turned - but they've never hidden away.

A couple of years before my Finn died, he went terribly listless and out of sorts...I feared the worst. Of course it was Saturday and the nearby vet couldn't fit him in so it was a case of pet taxi (rip off! - he was such a sociable soul that he wouldn't have minded the bus, though I would lol) to their 24/7 vet HQ. When I got there...the little horror! Out he breezed, bright as a button. Not a damn thing wrong with him - and at home he'd been like a dying duck!

Do hope this is the case with Puggy.

Still paws and tails crossed! x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I cannot believe it - he's home!!!!!!! :D

At 4am I went out for a last look round with the torch, and after about half an hour OH came out too. There's a sort of copse in the middle of the garden, and we were just peering down some of the big rabbit (?) holes when I suddenly saw a pair of eyes at the foot of the bank glinting in the torchlight. He didn't make a sound and was just standing there, looking a bit lost and bewildered, and let me go up to him and pick him up ...... and then once I was holding him he started purring, for England! I think he must have heard our voices and come out from wherever he was hiding, and he was definitely a way beyond his usual range. I have a vague recollection of hearing someone frantically whistling for their dog earlier on in the day and I suspect he might have got chased and ended up in unfamiliar territory - bless him, he gets a bit confused going from the sofa to the litter tray!

I cannot tell you how happy I am, and I'm sure I don't need to! I really thought that was the end! :D

And OH is so happy that he's told Puggy he's welcome to poo in his shoes anytime he likes! :P :lol:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh Crewella!! I am SO pleased for you. What a relief. :D I bet the joy was unconfined in your house...and I bet Puggy was wondering what the heck all the fuss was about. :lol: 'Phew'!

Don't they give you some bad moments? But...I am very pleased for you that he's back.

((Hugs)) and a fuss to Puggy.

Grace xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you, we are soooooo happy!!

We've given up on the idea of bed for the night, and Puggy-two-dinners is actually very obviously relieved to be home and safe. He's now crashed on OH's lap (which he doesn't often do), still purring!
P1060343.JPG
P1060343.JPG (91.55 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Helen, I read your post with growing panic - been there, done that, got the T shirt, nervous breakdown and heart attack. :cry:

Then I read he's home, a little bewildered, but safe. HURRAY :D :D :D

I know that feeling of relief too! Poor boy, it must be his age - 'do I come here often?'

SO glad he is going to be with us a little longer! Love the way he's zonked out on OH knee. :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great news Helen :D

I always say that whoever said that having cats is relaxing, has obviously never tried it! :)

Funny, but Dom and Kasper take turns going over the back, but are usually back within 1/2 hour or so. After posting on Pugwash's thread last night, I realised Kasper wasn't in. He reappeared at 2.45am!!! - like you, I was just glad he was back - even if it meant chasing Ingrid around at 3am and muddy paw prints on the clean bed! :)

Anyway, glad the old boy is back at home safe :)
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

Phew I was reading the thread with my heart in my mouth too! Glad he's home safe and sleeping off his mis-adventure :-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

bobbys girl wrote: 'do I come here often?'
:lol: :lol:

That sums it up perfectly!

Having a slightly confuddled elderly gent in the house is bad enough, Mark, I don't envy you with two teenagers! :D

I've edited the title so as not to keep worrying people - it's lovely that so many people care about our Pugwash. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Pugwash is missing (don't panic we found him!)

Post by Lilith »

So very glad to hear! :D
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Not been on for a couple of days and this was first thing i read, scrolled down as fast as i could to see the outcome, phew.

Do you think Puggy could have a urine infection ? in humans one side effect can make them forgetful and not know where they are, sometimes in elderly mistaken for early stage of dementia.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

nannymcfee wrote:Not been on for a couple of days and this was first thing i read, scrolled down as fast as i could to see the outcome, phew.

Do you think Puggy could have a urine infection ? in humans one side effect can make them forgetful and not know where they are, sometimes in elderly mistaken for early stage of dementia.
You gave me pause for thought there for a minute, but to be honest he's been a bit like that ever since he got here. I will keep an eye on him, though. Thanks. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh goodness what a fright, pleased you managed to find him, fusses to lovely Puggy from me x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He went missing again last night, and when we finally did find him and brought him inside, he was going round and round in circles and back and forward to the litter tray. He's had a couple of bouts of constipation before, I think sometimes the gastro-intestinal diet he's on works a little too well, and I've had to feed him something else for a day to get him moving again. He seemed worse than before though, and with the confusion as well I made an appointment at the vets.

Sod's law - he had a huuuuuuge poo an hour before his appointment, but I took him anyway just to be safe. His kidneys are fine, he wasn't dehystrated and no temperature. No poo left in there either, but the vet said that constipated cats can get a toxin build-up that might explain the confusion, so I'm just to keep an eye on him for a couple of days and he should go back to his normal grumpy and only slightly confused self.

Fingers crossed, he certainly seems brighter already, and his appetite has improved.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

At least you know the signs now and can deal with things accordingly, poor old Puggy!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Puggy. He did improve and his appetite came back, but the confusion got worse. Over the weekend he starting pacing round the house and going round in circles, and yesterday he started getting stuck in odd corners of the house. It was as though he didn't realise he could go backwards, and would just come to a full stop when he hit a dead end, staring at the wall. We'd have to rescue him, and he was so relieved to be picked up and cuddled he'd just lie purring in your arms or on your lap. He'd exhausted himself to such a degree that OH sat up all last night with him asleep in his arms on the sofa, because every time we put him back down he'd start pacing and circling again.
puggylastnight.jpg
puggylastnight.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 7918 times
I took him to the vetsthis afternoon, and she said she thought this was more serious than just dementia or toxin build up, and that he probably had some sort of lesion or tumour on the brain. The prognosis was not good, but she gave him a steroid shot as she thought it possible that reducing any swelling around the lesion/tumour might buy him a little more time - it was worth a shot. Puggy got really wound up at the vets, much grumpier than usual and lashing out - I don't think he quite knew where he was, or eve who I was at one stage.

He was quite vocal on the way home, unusually so, and I stopped a couple of time on the way home to give him a fuss, and he did purr the second time, and then went quiet. When I got him home and opened the box he was drooling and looked utterly bewildered, just hunched in the corner. I tried picking him up but he just huddled on the floor. He looked really odd, and a bit twitchy, and I rang the vet to say I was on my way back.

By the time I got there, he was having seizures, and there was no question that we had hit the end of the road. We let him go, and I was stroking him the whole time and telling him things would be much better soon and the pain and confusion would all be gone.

Poor old Puggy. I can't tell you how much I'll miss him, and OH is heartbroken as they did have a special bond. I'm so glad they got to have that last evening together and that he didn't get to see Puggy in the state he got into.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Pugwash is missing (sadly, he's gone)

Post by pandorawarlord »

so sad to read this, he was a beautiful boy
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Oh no. I am so sorry Helen. He was such a gorgeous boy.

He knew love and comfort with you.

RIP Pugwash xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Helen, we are so sorry. :cry: :cry:

Though we never met him, were all very fond of dear Pugwash.

Dave joins with me in sending ((Hugs)) to you both.

RIP little man. Play happily at the Bridge, 'til we meet again

Sue xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh poor dear Pugsy, Helen - thank goodness you were there with him at the end to comfort him and help him to sleep, rather than him wandering off confused and alone. It was a mercy and your instincts were absolutely right.

What a lovely, loving boy who had such a happy life with you and your husband. We all hope our furries get to have a gentle passing, but it's not always possible.

Thinking of you tonight in your loss. I will hold my little baby tight when she comes for her 'milkies'. Sleep tight Pugsy boy, you were very loved. x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Helen. I am just so saddened to read this.

We've all been through this journey with you and have come to know and love this little guy so much.

Thank goodness he had you to take him in and shower him with love so that he could at last know what it feels like to be loved.

Through my tears I keep finding myself looking at the last picture of him fast asleep in the arms of your OH. That gives me comfort and I hope in time it will help you too. It shows the love and trust he had in you both and how, despite not being well, he was able to fall fast asleep whilst being cradled and made to feel safe and secure.

Thinking of you both and thank you for giving this gorgeous boy the life and love he deserved.

Sleep tight little Puggy. Much loved at last!! Xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Oh no Helen :(

I think we were all a little bit in love with the old boy. As has already been said, he had a better life than ever could have been expected in his retirement - just a shame it was so short.

Thinking of you and OH. xxx

RIP Old boy,
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very very sorry to read this.

I've seen this same confusion in an elderly cat of mine who went deaf, then almost blind, but coped quite happily until suddenly one day she too was wandering lopsidedly round in circles and was basically out of it. She was 18; a pity she couldn't have died peacefully in her own bed but like you with Puggy, that was the last thing I could do for her, to let her go.

I'm so very sorry you had to lose him so soon - but also very very glad he found you before this happened. At least he had some love and comfort at last and someone who kept the faith with him x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks everyone, you've all been so kind and it really does help. As has been said, you have all been right by our side from the day he came to us and I have so appreciated all the support. He really was a special boy and his story seemed to touch everyone who heard it, the vets and nurses were alll really sad to see him off as well. This is a heartfelt thank you. xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry to read this. This reminds me of one of my oldies. Thanks to you and your OH Pugwash was loved and cared when he had no one else and you did the kindest thing at the end. God bless little fella xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Helen, I am so very very sorry. Good night gorgeous boy, sweet dreams. Always loved and never forgotten xxx

Big (((hug))) to you and your OH Helen