A long battle with Kylie's food and sods law.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: A long battle with Kylie's food and sods law.

Post by MarkB »

It seems I must have read the scales wrongly in the brief moment she stayed on them - she was in for her bloods and B12 today. The vet weighed her and she is 3.42kg :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

MarkB wrote:Sorry Jane - I missed this before. She doesn't usually whack me, although she came close today as I tried brushing her. She has always hated brushes and goes mental when I try. I had to give it a go today, as for some reason, over the last few days, She is moulting terribly. I have never seen anything like it. Hopefully it is just because we are having a mild patch. She is up to 3.23kg, not a huge increase since last week, but still creeping up in the right direction :) (her emissions are still deadly though!)
LOL! bless her, I can’t go anywhere near Tasha with a brush :o you’re right though about the weather they lose loads of hair don’t they!
MarkB wrote:It seems I must have read the scales wrongly in the brief moment she stayed on them - she was in for her bloods and B12 today. The vet weighed her and she is 3.42kg :)
Wow! she’s doing really well, great news Mark :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The vet called back. Her Red Blood Cell count has gone up from 20% to 24%, which he said is excellent. combined with the weight gain, he is really happy with her progress. Sadly the diarrhea continues :-/
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Good news - seems like all your hard work is paying off at last. Long may that continue (except the sloppy poos ..... ). :) xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Such good news :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Update on Kylie. I took her for her B12 shot and bloods last Friday. The vet weighed her (3.8kg) and had a good feel. He said she is a 'proper cat again' - she has gained body fat, her poos have firmed up - still not perfect, but no runs. He said it was pointless giving her B12 jabs or doing bloods as her improvement is incredible. He just said to keep an eye on her and bring her in if I am worried.

I have decided to supplement B12 and try to avoid it happening again, rather than waiting for obvious signs. I am sure she has absorption issues, so it can't hurt.There is a special cat version, which is quite expensive, but a brand called Doctor's best was also recommended, so I have ordered those - they don't have any nasties or artificial flavourings/sweeteners in (although the quick-melt ones do)

This morning, for the first time in at least 6 months, she has gone up to the ground floor and has been reclaiming some of her old spots (not sure how that is going to go down with Ingrid! :) ) and has even been playing with the Cat's Meow :) https://goo.gl/photos/3pDvZ8BPZQ6CQMqv9
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Mark that’s brilliant news! I’m so pleased for Kylie and well done you, you’ve worked hard to help her and she has to be feeling so much better now :P
Love the photo of a happy, healthier girl. Fingers crossed for her xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Goodness me, Mark, she's looking smashing!

Congrats the pair of you! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's great news Mark! Wonderful stuff that B12. We are hoping Tom will start putting weight back on now he is on vit. B drops.

Fusses to Kylie, I hope she continues to improve. :D

PS picture won't open for me? I think I have gremlins. :?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

she certainly looks like a proper cat, Mark - it only goes to show an ailing oldie can be brought back given patience, love and a caring vet

incidentally, I always go to Doctor's Best when buying supplements, though delivery can take ages
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh wow, what a difference - I am so very pleased for you. All your hard work and determination has paid off

fusses to your gang x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. Only this morning, I messaged Dennis to say that at long last, I can start working on going to bed at proper times! :) - I got into the habit of staying up later and later to settle Alice and later, Laz. I said months ago that it was ridiculous, then ended up staying up so Kylie could have a 2am feed and them back up at 7am for her next one :) (She stopped eating dry long ago) Thankfully our situation allowed me to keep those hours! :)

Kay - I ordered my Doctor's Best on eBay - it was less than £8 delivered, for 60

Bobby's Girl (srry, have forgotten your name) - which drops did you order? - I considered buying some, but most I saw were American Brands and not available. I have sublingual spray for myself, but it is apricot flavoured and had other things in that I wouldn't want a cat to have.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Mark, it is called BSP vitamin drops from Vetark Professional. The local vet got it for us.

Sue
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Sue, I will look into it, but most multivitamins contain a different form of B12, (cyanocobalamin) which isn't as easily absorbed and in quite a low dose. Given that Kylie seems to have malapsorption issues, probably best that I stick to high-strength Methylcobalamin.

PS - Although Kylie has been gradually improving, today she has suddenly turned into her old self - not good in some ways as Kasper is dealing with the brunt of it. He is a huge cat now, but still a timid baby. She keeps going after him. He never defends himself and is looking quite scared. I am back to the old KYLIE - STOPPIT! :)

For anyone that couldn't view the google link http://i.imgur.com/PE4qqKn.jpg
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Oh Mark. Isn't she looking wonderful!! What a delight to see her looking so well :D

You must be so pleased!! Well done to you for all your hard work x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Glad to hear she is improving Mark
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh she IS looking great - well done Mark and Kylie! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Isn't it lovely to see them play? You know they must be feeling better. :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Wow, Mark, Kylie's coat is gorgeous and her eyes are bright and beautiful. How wonderful to have your little girl back to health!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. Although she is a lot better, I don't think she will ever be the old Kylie. Anyway, her B12 came yesterday (Hermes delivered) the capsules are miniscule. She was happy to take it mixed into some Gimpet vitamin paste that she loves, so hopefully we can keep her B12 up.