going away for two weeks, worried about my sofina

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

going away for two weeks, worried about my sofina

Post by woozy-uk »

we got sofina about 3 years ago from foal farm, she is approx 7 and a half years old. she means the utter world to me. the holiday was a mad moment idea early in the year after i had lost my job then got a new one then had a motorcycle crash. now the time has come so very quickly, so i start the holiday from early oct for two weeks. Im very worried about her. we dote on each other. she always looks for me even after her meal, loves bushes, loves attention and strokes. she comes and goes into our garden as she pleases but i often lock the cat flap just before i go to bed at 11 as im paranoid about foxes attacking her after a neighbours cat got killed by one and he was a cat i loved too. shes my special girl. i have looked into catterys so that i know then she will be kept an eye on at all times and monitored. my mums very anti this idea said its cruel to keep her back in a pen like she had in foal and it may distress her more which i can also believe.

a neighbour has said she can come in twice a day to feed her, but im not sure sofina will get the attention she needs. but then she will be at home with her smells and ours. but im paranoid she will look for me and venture near roads and further and get into trouble while im gone. id be absolutely devastated if something happens while im gone. when she has been outside and comes in she often meows and looks for me when she comes back in.

so shes an outdoor going cat
but im paranoid about her going venturing looking for me
paranoid foxes will attack her as she wont be locked in during the night.
wont have me to give her attention

really dont know what to do, totally regret the holiday bue to her. (it was all complicated and couldnt cancel)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: going away for two weeks, worried about my sofina

Post by Kay »

seems to me from what you say that a good cattery is the only way forward - you will know she is safe and being cared for, and can try to enjoy your holiday

if you have a friend or relative who would be willing to live in whilst you're away then that would be ideal, but personally I feel a cattery is a better option than being left home alone - and one you can use in the future too

good catteries allow you to inspect them before booking, so I'd start looking now - and make sure Sofina's vaccinations are up to date, as catteries insist on them
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi
you sound just like me I hated leaving my cats even though my OH dad wuld come round twice a day! Recently I used a house/pet sitter with a wealth of experience looking after cats (references etc) i was apprehensive but had 2 weeks away totally stress free knowing cats and house and even my garde n was being looked after. Even got photos sent every few days of my cat being spoiled rotten and looking ever so happy
Have a look on house sitters uk, I find this the best one and uou get to chat to people and decide who would be best suited for your needs. I will do the same now every time. Came home very relaxed with happy cat and very clean house. Just have a look, it doesn't cost anything . Good luck x
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a stranger staying in my house. That's just me - not very trusting! So I would opt for a cattery or professional cat sitter.

If you choose a cat sitter, I would make sure they visit at least twice a day, lock Sofina in at night (since she is normally in at night and there are so many dangers) and send you daily updates so you can enjoy your holiday. If it were me, I would keep her indoors 24/7 while I was gone as I have heard of cats disappearing while their owners were away. (We used to have to physically block the cat flap to ensure that one of our cats didn't break the cat flap during the night.)
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

thank you to you 3 for replying. i was hoping for many more replys and then i would go with the majority.

atm i have 2 lots of neighbours willing to come around to feed her and stroke her if she allows it.

BUT im still worried as mentioned if she will wonder off now. IF that is a risk ill use the cattery.

granted part of me will feel guilty depriving her of our garden she uses daily. but i know she will be looked after. will she be distressed being back in a pen?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Dear Woozy - firstly please don't feel guilty about wanting a holiday - it will do you good and you need to try to look forward to it!

I've done the cattery and the cat-sitting route; now as I have 5 a cattery is out of the question, especially as one of mine is a wild boy who I've never even tried to get into a carrier. When I had three they shared a lovely room in a 'cat hotel' - MUCH nicer than a standard cattery. I would go with the cattery for you, for peace of mind - and see it as a holiday for your girl as well - but go for a good one with rooms (albeit costing more) where she will get lots of interaction and play from cat-loving helpers. To my mind unless you are on the poverty line your babies are worth it. I also have an ex-feral kitten and she came back tamer from the cat hotel with all the loving attention she got - little places in the room to hide but she got more used to the human attention.

If you go the home route I would say two things: 1) Don't let her out at all whilst you're away. The responsibility on someone unfamiliar to your cat to coax her in and not to lose her is very stressful - for both the person and the cat. I have a vet nurse who runs a pet-sitting service (Enfield, North London) and she plays with them, feeds and does litter trays, opens and closes curtains etc. She does the service for some people who let their cats go out during the day and it's a constant worry. I personally wouldn't be able to relax with the possibility that they're out and maybe not coming in for the night, so cat flap sealed and barricaded for the holiday. Their joy on your return and letting them back out is so rewarding. Now they're used to not going out when we're away - cats are canny learners when they need to be.
2) Once a day is not enough. I opt for two visits; morning and evening, when the wild boy (who is allowed out during the day as he lived wild in the neighbourhood for 5 years) comes in for his supper and knows that means bed time. NONE of them go out overnight. I simply don't believe it's safe and I don't want to put them at risk by testing that one out. They get used to a schedule, and I think it gives them security as well. Mine come in well before dark, have their supper, and know that means in for the night.

I have to say I think if it's a traumatic business getting your girl into a carrier and to the vet then home visits might be the answer (but stay inside 24/7) but if she's people friendly and likes the company, a cat hotel would be grand.

What I wouldn't do is send any of my cats to a cattery where they're kept in tiny, unhygienic cages. I saw a few when I was doing the rounds and they were not fit for a farm, let alone a cherished house-cat... :? :? :?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

I was going to say our holidays are 2 weeks, and none have shown any signs of stress on our return, either from cat hotel or cat sitting...

Also with the boy being allowed out with the cat sitter, we got him familiar with her first and made sure that he would come if she called him, which he does. He always comes when I call him, so I think the female voice helped. I would not have been happy otherwise.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

this was the cattery i am considering-

http://www.oldebexleycattery.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they have individual cleaning items so dont get cross contaminated. have regular vet visits and when i visited seem to be popular with 4 couples viewing/bringing their cats while i was there.

they didnt have a double cat pen available just a single.

We go away next friday, still dont know what to do though. So far 2 lots of neighbours have offered to come around on alternate days twice a day. and a friend has offered to visit sofina. though sofina wouldnt know them. and sofina uses the garden for a toilet. also if the cat flap is locked there wouldnt be a way for her to get out should a fire happen.

god yes this is so stressful not knowing.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

That cattery looks and sounds very good. If it were me, I'd choose that over allowing her outside 24 hours a day while I was gone. Then you can relax and enjoy your holiday.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

looks excellent to me too - and always good to know veterinary expertise is on hand, just in case - if, for instance, Sofina refused to eat, you could be sure they would deal with it

in my experience cats tend to hunker down ready to wait out any situation they don't like, but that tends to last only for three or four days, when their natural curiosity makes them sit up and take notice of their surroundings - and she will be thrilled to come home again, safe and sound
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

The cattery looks lovely and clean and pretty cosy - and it looks like you can take some of her blankets and favourite things. I agree I think she'd be better safely there than roaming the neighbourhood. She many even come back liking humans a little better!
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

hi all thanks for the replies.

we have no relatives near by that can look after her. Sofina goes into the neighbours gardens a lot but i have no idea if she will repond to them. I spoke to another cat lover down the sailing club today and he said shed prefer to be at home.

so frustratingly im none the wiser

home pros- she will be at home with the garden to run about in and apple tree to climb.
home cons-she will only have company when fed and may not repond to neighbours calls or petting. could be prone to danger in my absence.

cattery pros- constant checking up on. vet on hand. warm.
cattery cons- small enclosure, no familiarity
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Forgive my speaking so plainly but I think you need to make your own mind up about this; you know your cat best.

This holiday's been planned for months but you're still no further with arrangements for Sofina because of anxiety - but time's running out now.

The cattery may be booked up soon if you don't act; the neighbours may not take kindly to short notice and could take offence if you land up on their doorstep the night before, asking for help.

If you want votes for and against mine would be for the cattery; it sounds ok and also, if she became accustomed to a pen at Foal Farm before she came to you, it won't be such a hardship for her to be penned up again for a while - and those look pretty luxurious pens. Also, as has been said, you would know she was protected 24/7.

We're all worrybuckets about our cats and I do sympathise, but with less than a week to go, you need to sort this out - and THEN you can start looking forward to the holiday :)
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

i reserved her place when i view'd the cattery in bexley last weekend. neighbours are both willing and on standby

friends and family are saying - home care
majority on here and on anothe pet forum are saying - cattery for safeness

arrrgh my head! :?

sofina in our garden. (sorry about the silly noises i do with her)
https://youtu.be/UpeqWFURFHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the general concensus. Home is obviously nicer for her ........ unless and until something goes wrong, and then you have relative strangers dealing with a cat that's not likely to come to them. As you won't be there, her normal routine will be disturbed and there's no knowing how that might change her habits ...... it might be less pleasant, but at least she will be safe and have someone around all day at the cattery.

Good luck. :)
Mrs Mac
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrs Mac »

Hi, it's a bit late to chip in on the subject but I think a reliable cat sitter is a really good option. My cat Rosie who is 15 and who we adopted from a neighbour who moved away has been in a cattery twice and wasn't too thrilled afterwards. The cattery was lovely, each cat had a nice room and an individual outdoor pen accessible via cat flap but I guess it's just not home, ie strange smells, new surroundings.

We then used a cat sitter for another short break in the summer and she was just her normal self when we got back. I put that down to her being I her usual surroundings.

Cat sitters usually stay between 30 and 45 mins to interact with your cat if they welcome it so they do get attention. I think it is less stressful for cats to be in their home environment but it may also depend on your cat. I hope you get something sorted out and enjoy your holiday!