Keeping tinned food fresh.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Keeping tinned food fresh.

Post by Grace56 »

How do you keep tinned food fresh until tin is empty or nearly empty?
Dave will eat one maybe two, helpings from a newly opened tin, and then refuse it after that. I cover the tin with a plastic lid but I don't keep it in 'fridge. It's kept in his food cupboard. It's becoming just as expensive when I buy tinned food for a change from dearer pouches.(Sheba and Gourmet)

Any ideas gratefully recieved. :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Keeping tinned food fresh.

Post by meriad »

Could you decant the left over food into a different container, preferable glass that has a lid? Metal starts giving off taste (as does plastic) and I suspect that Dave can pick up on that oxidising taste.

Alternatively, given he's not eating it anyway - why not buy regular normal (ie not the expensive ones) pouches and give him that? Given the potential tin waste it probably won't make that much difference in the long run financially?
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Hi Meriad. Yes, I thought about decanting it and that's what I'll do. He won't eat cheaper pouches or Whiskas pouches. And Felix only certain flavours.
The tins I have atm are Butchers Classic fish variety and he gobbled the first few servings up. I tried him with this (Butchers) as I was told it is a good food for cats.

So...I will try decanting the tins and see how we go. Thanks Hun. :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I keep opened tins in the fridge, with a plastic lid, but not for more than 24 hours, then when I put some out I put a little hot water from the kettle on the food to bring the temperature up a little, and bring out the smell, making sure that the water is cooled by the food before putting it down for them.

If enthusiasm fades I put portions of the food in small plastic sandwich bags and freeze it, then defrost a week or two later when they're usually happy to eat it again. There's some defrosting now for their supper. I do make sure to label it clearly 'CATS' so that I don't end up with any unpleasant surprises on my plate!
Last edited by Alice on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I know with human foods, they say you shouldn't keep food in opened tins, so assume decanting into a tupperware or similar is best.

I don't have that problem here with several seagulls, magpies etc to feed :)
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

With the number of cats here I rarely don't finish a tin, but if I do have some over I decant and put it in the fridge then add a tiny drop of hot water and microwave it for 10 seconds before serving.

Sprig of parsley optional ..... ;)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Crewella wrote:Sprig of parsley optional ..... ;)
Too funny :lol: :lol:
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Mine will eat Classic too ( saw some trays of butchers today but didn't look what they were , never seen them before so not sure if it was a pate type) but not a whole tin either, i put left overs out for hedgies ( chicken in jelly one only) would it freeze? has anyone tried?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I've frozen Butchers Classic, and various others, pate, jelly and gravy types without problem. Once defrosted and a little water added it's like something fresh and new to them. Years ago, when I'd only one cat, and large cans were the only kind of wet food, I regularly used to put most of the contents of cans in poly bags in the freezer, so that she didn't get too many meals of one flavour, but could have variety.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Alice wrote:I've frozen Butchers Classic, and various others, pate, jelly and gravy types without problem.
Me too.