nasty neighbour

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
samcroaddict
New Cat Chatter

nasty neighbour

Post by samcroaddict »

hi does anyone know if there is anything i can do about my neighbour who is always throwing stones at my cats even when they are asleep in my garden he does this every time he goes by.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: nasty neighbour

Post by Lilith »

Ha - nasty neighbours - haven't we all had 'em eh? You have my sympathies!

You could try having a word with your local ...police...do they call them community support officer...to see what, if any, support is available and what your legal situation is. Also the RSPCA and even the CAB (who are very helpful and knowledgeable) - again to establish what rights you have and the best way of proceeding.

The main thing is evidence. Obviously the ideal thing would be CCTV, but otherwise in your place I'd be skulking behind the curtain, phone at the ready, to film this idiot as he passes by. If he appears at regular times so much the better! Also you could try asking other neighbours if they've seen him up to his tricks. Witnesses are another great help.

I'd add a lot of naughty words on the subject of this moron but the mods would ban me lol. All very best wishes and good luck and such a pity you can't train the cats to retaliate with a load of rotten tomatoes! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

The CAB might be able to help with some advice but on past experience, I wouldn't waste your time with either the Police or RSPCA.

Perhaps your cats could get their own back and cxxp in his garden (he'd have no proof it was your cats) ;)

I'm with Lilith on the naughty words. :lol: Wish I could offer some more practical advice. Good Luck
Mrs Mac
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrs Mac »

Hi, I agree on the evidence. If you don't manage to take photos/videos keep at least a log of times you see him pester your cat. I would then send him an official letter, recorded delivery and list the occasions you have seen him throwing stones. Ask him politely to refrain from doing so, otherwise you would bring the matter to the attention of the police.

If he doesn't stop, do just that - present your evidence to the police. It is illegal to hurt an animal so they will at least have to talk to him. Hope that helps!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you might also want to point out that if any of your cats is injured by a stone, an expensive vet bill will be coming his way
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Another aspect of this has occurred to me - and that is, even if the police aren't bothered about the cats, this lout's carry-on could be seen as harassment. I believe the legal term is something along the lines of 'interfering with your enjoyment of your property' and many councils have helplines catering for advice about this sort of behaviour and curbing it - I think it used to come under the term of 'Environmental Health'.

I do hope you get this sorted out - let us know how you go on :)
HannahL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by HannahL »

This is terrible! Some people :evil:

I think the suggestions above of trying to get video evidence will be your best and most solid approach. I would do that first so that he doesn't know you're plotting something. Its also not expensive to install CCTV which may be a complete deterrent as well as an ability to catch him when you're not there.
samcroaddict
New Cat Chatter

Post by samcroaddict »

thanks for all the replies.we are going to try andget video evidence as we know from past experience its the only thing that gets anything done about him.he is the local bully to the extent even the local housing officers are scared of him.iagree about not bothering with the rspca they are rubbish.we are waiting to hear back from the housing dept but i expect we will end talking to the local pscos.i just wanted to see what everyone thought and where we stand legally.
regards jean
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

If it was me I'd be having a stern word with him/her. How old is the miscreant? Child or adult?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohh yes, I've experienced one of those - he was straight out of a Stephen King novel and often used to come home drunk and peer through his hapless next-door neighbour's glass door and make faces.

I still have fantasies about a bag of stones round the neck and ankles and a handy river - how come such (censoreds) get away with it?

Hope you nobble the f....I mean the b... I mean the c... I mean the naughty person! :evil:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith wrote: I still have fantasies about a bag of stones round the neck and ankles and a handy river - how come such (censoreds) get away with it?

Hope you nobble the f....I mean the b... I mean the c... I mean the naughty person! :evil:
Oh Lilith, you make me laugh! :lol:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

samcroaddict wrote:iagree about not bothering with the rspca they are rubbish.
Jean - what a horrid situation to be in. But just to add my two pence worth - once you have gathered evidence (and try and get lots and lots, not just a one off video shot) then please do get the RSPCA involved. Whilst they do have a bad reputation (which is rather unfortunate esp as most of the local smaller branches do such hard work only for the head office to muck up the reputations - anyway I digress)... the RSPCA are the only people who actually have any legal power to do anything when it comes to animal cruelty.

I bought one of these a while back http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-outbackcam-n53kg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it was a bit cheaper than that then.... to monitor the hedgehog going ons in my garden. It's wireless (works off batteries) and has a fair decent range. Maybe if you get something like that set up where your neighbour usually gets up to his shenanigans and then download any incriminating video's to your PC and also email them to someone so you have another date / time back up.

I do hope you find a solution this problem - what a vile person :(
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Parents had a nasty neighbour, who used to do vindictive things when darkness fell so invested in the Maplin CCTV with 4 camera's and the local police community officer called a few times, to see if parents were ok and with neighbour, i for one have been known to stick pins in effigys :lol: backfired on a few occasions, but they get comeuppance in long rung, i will say no more.

Super glue on the stones? then when he picks them up...sorted.
samcroaddict
New Cat Chatter

Post by samcroaddict »

thanks for all your suggestions if only I could get away with it I would do them all.he shot himself in the foot abit as he called the pscos up to us saying we were swearing at him they ending up having a word with him about his behaviour.i will look at the cameras at maplins because I know he wont stop
regards jean