one of my cats still using the litter tray !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

one of my cats still using the litter tray !!

Post by laura1959 »

I have two rescue cats I have had them 13months now, they are around 24months now ,both female,one has been going outside and has been for months but the other still using the litter tray cant understand why she sometimes spends all night out in the garden too any ideas and will she ever go outside.? :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: one of my cats still using the litter tray !!

Post by meriad »

A lot of cats do that - it's because they don't feel safe toileting outside as that is when they are at their most vulnerable. So whilst they're happy to be able to go outside for a general mooch; using the litter tray is still the preferred option for them when it comes to doing their business. And in all honesty I don't blame them.

Also I'd much rather my cats all used the litter tray - so often it's the first place you'll realise that something may be wrong with your pet; change in toileting habit or change in pee / poo

Whatever you do - don't remove that litter box; your girl obviously needs it
Last edited by meriad on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

100% agree with Meriad!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my Tosker, who I've had for more than 4 years, regularly climbs in and out of the so-called cat enclosed patio, but always uses the litter tray. I have known him climb back in, use the tray, and immediately climb back out again

I'm just grateful he doesn't wee in the beds in the patio, like Tiffany does!
Mrs Mac
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Mac »

My mum has an 8 yr old rescue cat who has been with her for a year and a half. Izzy only uses her litter tray, never goes outside. Its quite funny at times. She can be out for hours, then demand to be let in to do her business and immediately wants back out! :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I completely agree with what everyone has said. Keep that litter tray available for your girl. She obviously feels secure doing her business there and to remove it would be like asking us to go to the loo somewhere we felt uncomfortable. Litter trays are not like nappies - cats don't automatically grow out of them. Some are always happy going outside if they have access, others never want to even if they have the freedom to do so.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote:I completely agree with what everyone has said. Keep that litter tray available for your girl. She obviously feels secure doing her business there and to remove it would be like asking us to go to the loo somewhere we felt uncomfortable. Litter trays are not like nappies - cats don't automatically grow out of them. Some are always happy going outside if they have access, others never want to even if they have the freedom to do so.
I don't mind keeping the litter tray and will as long as I have too if for ever I don't mind,but cant understand she goes out with my other cat Ouzo and they play in the garden and fix can be out all night sometimes and she comes in and goes in the litter tray its funny,in a way,but sometimes she pulls all the litter all over the floor too .
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

She likes her litter tray! She's a cat and cats do things we can never fathom out! There are different types of litter which are less likely to track, such as wood pellets, but if she is comfortable with that litter than it may be best not to rock that boat!