Missing cat story

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Missing cat story

Post by MarkB »

As some know, I lived next door to a vets. There has been a poster up in the window since at least Easter.I was in the waiting room with Kylie today and one of the nurses took the poster out of the window. I said "I guess Nesbit never turned up then?" - she so,yes he did, that is why I am taking the poster down. Apparently a man had been feeding the cat for months. He finally decided to adopt and took his vet for a check up. They scanned for a chip and that was that! :)

Apparently he was a bit sad about it, but happy that Nesbit was reunited with his owners.

The nurse told me about another elderly stray they once had in. The cat was very elderly and had been there for 2 months. One of the nurses took it home over xmas and brought it back in the new year. Still no sign of an owner. None of the vets had the heart to PTS. One day a woman bought her elderly cat in for surgery. The cat looked just like the one down in the kennels. The woman said that it was 20 and that she also had its brother, until he had disappeared months earlier. She was taken downstairs and shown the other cat. Apparently she cried. She left with one cat, while she left the other cat there for its treatment :)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Missing cat story

Post by nannymcfee »

What a lovely outcome for them both ,there was one not far from here who has been returned to its owners after 12 months too, it had been fed somewhere else and never taken to see if it was chipped.

We have Phoebe who is elderly , with not many teeth, she wore a collar when found but not chipped, no one ever claimed her, but i still think there may be someone out there wondering where she went.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

fab stories, all of them. And just goes to prove how important microchipping actually is and also education of people that when they see a stray (or think it's one) get it to a vet to check for a chip.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Some might remember a few years back. At that time I wasn't using the vet next door and was using one 5 miles away in Herne Bay. I always used to look at the missing/found cat posters in the window anyway. There was one for a missing, elderly grey cat. Around that time, I was chatting on thephone with Sharon, who was the homing officer for Canterbury CP. She mentioned in passing that the vet in Herne Bay had 3 strays, one of them was AN ELDERLY GREY CAT. I put 2 and 2 together and phoned the number on the missing poster next door. They went and collected their cat. The next time I was at the vets in Herne Bay, I asked the practice manager why they hadn't officially reported the grey cat to CP or asked about rehoming it. She said that she thought they struggled enough homing young cats. As this cat was around 17, she didn't think it stood a chance and as it had been with them for 10 days, it was due to be PTS the following Monday.
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I'm so glad you saved that poor grey cat's life!

Amazing stories - just goes to show that sometimes, just sometimes, people need never give up hope :)