sleeping together in same room during night

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

sleeping together in same room during night

Post by suelily »

Here I go again. My new cat is wakening me up middle of the night constantly and its starting to take its toll. I was thinking of leaving her in the living room during the night with my resident cat but am a bit concerned how the resident cat would be as he has been in there since I got him 8 years ago and that is his space. Although he has accepted the new cat now and they both get plenty of exercise as they chase each other up and down the flat I still cant stop thinking he will hurt her if they r in the same room all night. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: sleeping together in same room during night

Post by meriad »

what do you do with them during the day? Any reason why they need to be separated at night if they get on during the day?
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

They are together during the day and they get on fine but I haven't shut them in room together overnight. The only reason she is crying is because she wants to be with him. It is only because I did it last week and I heard a commotion and panicked. I know its stupid. If cats could talk eh that would be great. LOL
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

May I ask, how big is your home / apartment / flat. Rather than shutting them both into the lounge, could you not shut them out of the bedroom only which would give them a bit more space should they decide they'd rather not share the same room at night?
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I have a two bed flat. The new cat was an outdoor cat but I don't want to let her out as I am near a main road. She sits looking out the window meowing. I have a 13 year old son with Autism so he needs his sleep and when I let the cats roam everywhere apart from the rooms her meowing is very loud and long and then the chasing starts. No good in middle of night. She has a cat tree in the living room that my resident cat does not go on so she jumps up there when he annoys her or she goes under the recliner to get away from him.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi, I am sorry you're having problems but I think the problem is probably down to the new cat having previously been allowed out and he's getting frustrated at being kept in. I hate to say this but I think it may best to contact the rescue (if that's where you got him from) if he's so distressed at being kept in and find another home where he can go out. I One of the reasons I say this is I currently have a cat which kept escaping from her previous home and coming to us, we think mainly because she was kept indoors due to being on a main road and she has freedom here. Her previous owners eventually signed her over to us because they understood she was happier here, although we didn't want another cat at the moment. We are looking for a home for her but one where she can go outside because she gets so stressed at being kept in and they wouldn't let her out (understandable being on a main road). I hope you don't mind me saying this but I see a similar situation and I do hope you manage to sort it out for the best interests for all.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Really daft question - but is your new cat neutered?
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Yes Meriad she is and so is the male.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sounds like your guys are settling down together very well - personally I would leave them together overnight; if there's a bust-up you'd hear the squawking, but I bet there isn't.

You'll probably have a peaceful night and get up to find the pair of them cuddled up in each other's arms (though of course there might be a midnight steeplechase in between, cats being cats lol!; hide the precious china ornaments!) :D
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Yes Lilith I have to try as lack of sleep is not good for anyone especially with an Autistic child who never stops either.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Well I had both cats in living room last night and I did not hear a thing. Maybe because I had 2 doors closed or maybe because there was no noise as I can hear a needle drop. Anyway I had the best sleep in a long time, no interruptions although they r making up 4 it now that's fine.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

excellent news! hopefully this is the first of many peaceful nights

fusses to your furries; well done them
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great - so very pleased to hear - if you don't get your sleep you'll feel like hell, especially when you've got a special child to cope with. Hope all continues 'quiet on the Western front' in future! :D
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Thanks everyone. 2 happy cats & happy mum.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That sounds like a great result - well done! :)
Bish_Brennan
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bish_Brennan »

Do you take the new kitty out at all or is it a house cat now too a walk with a harness may help settle it if it's missing the outdoors.
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

Maybe you should try it one night and see what happens.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I did not think of taking her out a walk in the harness. My neighbour who I am friends with has a harness so I could try that. Thanks
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

To be honest, unless you are able and willing to take the cat out every day then I wouldn't even start taking her outside. You're just reminding her what she had and what she's missing. If she is settling as a house cat then I'd keep things as they are.

But if you do decide to go ahead with the harness, try it on your cat at home first and see how the cat gets on. And then please be very careful with the harness and make 100% sure there is no way the cat can pull away from you. There have been some horror stories of cats getting caught up in things because of their harness. Personally I'm not a fan of them at all
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I was thinking the same thing. Just giving her a taste of what she is missing.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I agree too - there are a few chilled-out cats that are fine on a harness, but it's not something you can assume that a cat will take to and needs VERY careful fitting and introductions. And out on a lead is not really a substitute for outdoor access for cats, who tend to very much focus on a 'home territory' - a small enclosure would be preferable if at all possible.