A bit of good news for a change!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

A bit of good news for a change!

Post by Crewella »

The outdoor pen was empty, so time for a new foster cat. The rescue had had a little cat on their waiting list to come in since early summer, a stray female that one of the big charities had checked for a chip and returned to the area as they had no space either. Luckily the lovely couple whose garden she was in said they were happy to feed her and keep an eye on her until the steady flow of kittens coming in had died down and a space could be found for her, hopefully before the cold weather really set in as the husband is allergic to cats and they couldn't allow her in the house.

I went to pick up the 'poor little stray' and left with a glossy, tubby little madam who broke out of the cat carrier on the way home and spent the last half of the journey sitting on my shoulder as I tried to drive and not panic (the carrier had had it, and luckily she was good as gold once free of it)! I also came away with four bowls, three types of food and some treats, half a Frontline pack, a collar, a mousie, a heat reflective blanket and a small wooden cat house - so much for the poor unloved little stray! It was such a shame they couldn't keep her - they had had no experience of cats but had taken exemplary care of her.

Madam doesn't think much of the pen, she's a people cat and isn't keen on being shut in a quiet corner, and she's a proper 'outdoor' cat and doesn't much like being shut in. I felt a bit guilty really, so I was chuffed to bits to get a call this evening "we can't believe how much we miss her, do you think she'd be OK with a heated house like yours and maybe allowed just in the kitchen? We want to adopt her!".

They're lovely people, I'm sure we can find a way to make this work! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: A bit of good news for a change!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lovely piece of news. :D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

That's great, I hope that things work out well.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww! That is just so heartwarming!

And I also have a suspicion that 'cat allergy' can be a very useful catch-all term. I know it exists, but fear certain doctors may be too ready to blame the cat... Wouldn't it be great if this guy found that he and the cat could live in the house together? But even if that day never comes, they are obviously devoted to her.

A very happy ending, hope they all have a lovely life together :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Fingers crossed for them. I wonder if they have actually tested the water with her. I once had some B&B guests over from America. Prior to their visit, they kept sending emails listing the various things than one of them was allergic to (I won't bore you with the stories) one of them was cats. When I said I had 4 and that is was THEIR house, the follow-up email asked for cat colours, as apparently black cats are the worst for allergies!!!! - I told them I had 2 at the time - they insisted that they wanted to to stay (it was the only 5 diamond in the area) . I said all I could do was keep the cats out of their room during their stay and out of the dining room while they were eating - but that was it! - anyway, they booked. A few days into their stay, I walked into the dining room to see Willow ON their table being fussed by both of them. The one that claimed to be allergic said she hadn't seen Willow come in the room and if she was going to cause reaction, it would have happened instantly. Willow basically spend the rest of their stay with them :)

After that I made a point of telling people about the cats, it was THEIR home and no changes would be made for people with allergies or issues with them! - I also had text in capitals on the conformation email (along with a recommendation for Kittycollars :)

So fingers crossed :)
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Don't know what you miss till it's gone!

Great news for tubby madam ☺️
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

It's a long time since I've been on here, but what a lovely story to find on my return! The little lady sounds as though she's landed firmly on her paws.

Since getting Pip I've also heard about black cats being the worst for allergies...Pip's my first black cat and the only one of my cats I've ever had much reaction to...for several weeks after she arrived I was very sneezy, and the first few times I went away after she arrived I had the same reaction (although less severe) on return. I think for a lot of people it's just a matter of acclimatising, although I know for some people with asthma it's not as simple as that. One of my ex-boyfriends ended up in hospital after going home for a few days at Christmas soon after his mother adopted a cat...

Everything crossed for the little lady...I hope she behaves herself on the journey back home! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Funny we have never had problems with Bob or Willow - both black. It is marmalade tabby Purdy that is the Typhoid Mary in our family - toxic snot syndrome!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

What a lovely story Helen. So now you have room for another deserving case?