More good news - hello Paddington!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: More good news - hello Paddington!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks so much for the update Helen. It is so nice to see and hear that is so settled in his new home. I did laugh at him sitting on your shoulders when you are on the pooter. Purdy does that with OH, she can't get close enough.

Paddington does remind me of my old fella, I do miss him and the quiet influence he had on the rabble. Big fusses to Paddington.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Bless him! Isn't he a gorgeous chap? Looks like he's remoulded that bed to his heart's desire, or however the saying has it lol.

And to think he was on death row... :shock:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I should have learnt by now, these old boys that have struggled on their own are prone to issues. :(

Poor old Paddington went a bit wobbly on Thursday, he was stumbling a bit on his left-hand side and seemed a bit dazed so off we went to the vets - as he's FIV+ I take no chances. His ears were horribly mucky and, though he had no temperature, the vet thougt probably an ear infection and sent us off with ear drops.

When I got home the next afternoon he was unable to stand up - his head was weirdly rotated to one side and he just kept falling over. He was a sweetheart and let me carry him to the litter tray, where he leaned on me whilst he used it, but there was obviously something badly wrong - so back to the vets. She noticed his eyes were flickering from side-to-side, which she said denoted something brain-based, so she thinks he's had a brain bleed - a form of stroke. She gave him a steroid injection, and ABs to beon the safe side, and said if he was going to get over this it would improve a bit overnight.

Which it did, he's still very wobbly, but he's definitely better and has continued to improve over the weekend. His appetite is good, and he seems to have more control over his head movements - they've suggested I take him back for one more steroid injection tomorrow to give him the best chance. Everything crossed for him!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Poor old fella. Hope he continues to improve, fingers and paws crossed and big snuggle from me x
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Oh my gosh Helen! Thank goodness he has you guys. He has been through so much and has really landed on his wee paws getting homed with you. He looks like a wee fighter, he has too much going for him now so he will try his hardest to get better. Chin up pet and keep us posted xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys, he really is trying and surprisingly bright and purry, or I wouldn't be pushing him. To be honest, I really thought he'd had it at first, but he's the best feline patient I've ever had - he totally gets that I'm trying to help and uses me for support on the tray and whilst he's eating. Today he managed to wash with one paw raised without falling over, so as long as he's up for it and I can see a happy ending is possible, we keep going. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Everything crossed here for the old chap - good luck Paddington and all the best to you all x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Fingers crossed for him Helen. He has the best chance with you watching his back! x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Helen I've fingers & everything xd for Paddington. He's so lucky to have you. And if it's a stroke I hope not severe. Hugs Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for him
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sending all good wishes to you and Paddington. Give him a fuss from me. Fingers and paws crossed for a good recovery, as you say, you have a good patient. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks. We're going in today for a second steroid injection to try and reduce any remaining swelling. His eyes don't flicker any more, thankfully, though he does still look a bit lost - who can blame him, poor boy.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

He definitely is in the best hands with you and lovely to read how trusting he is and willing to accept your help - bless him

give him a few extra special gentle cuddles from me xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

All fusses have been passed on, thanks. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I took Paddington to have his second steroid injection, and blimey it definitely did give him a boost!

For the first couple of days after his stroke he was really trying to get around, but after that he took to his sofa and basically just waited for me to take him his dinner and take him to his tray - my gut feeling is that he lost confidence a bit. I think it suddenly sank in that he was struggling. He'd not pooed for a couple of days, probably through being so sedentary, but thankfully (sort of!) did a huuuuuge one in the basket on the way to the vets, so that was one less thing to worry about.

After his shot last night he suddenly got to his feet, had a wander, climbed onto my office chair to join me and then launched himself onto the windowsill and demanded to go out. At 3am!! I felt that it was really important for him to get the maximum benefit from his steroid shot and hopefully get his confidence back, so we sat up with him and encouraged him whilst providing a bit of help and support now and again ........ including wandering round the frosty garden with a torch in the wee small hours! He really appreciates the support - he looks round to check I'm there every couple of steps, and he's still quite wobbly and lurching all over the place, but he's not falling anywhere near as much as he was. :D

He also had his dinner in his usual spot along with the others, and then later on managed to climb onto OH's lap for a cuddle. All in all, great progress and a good night - I just hope he manages to keep the ground he's gained. All paws crossed (except his of course - he's got trouble enough keeping upright as it is!). :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

that sounds like such amazing progress - and bless; running after him at 3am with a torch. What don't we do for our furry pals :) but wouldn't have it any other way

love it
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Yay! That is so great, wee fighter. So lovely and amazing he trusts and depends on you both. Good on you for all you do for this wee gentleman. That put a big smile on my face today. Big fusses for him x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news. Fingers still crossed that he continues to improve.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Crewella great news! Hope Paddington gets better & better each day. Huge fusses to him. Vivian
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great update Helen :)

Couldn't have asked for a better one really .
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Great news - all power to Paddington! (But hope he doesn't expect a trip round the garden EVERY night!) :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I hope so too - we're knackered! :D

He's been great today - trying to get back into his old routine and following the others into the dining room at dinner time. The others were a bit unnerved by his lurching and stumbling around at first, especially Basil, but they seem to have accepted it now, thankfully. He seemed desperate to get outside again this afternoon, but once he got out there all he did was potter across the lawn and sit enjoying the sunshine. He looked so happy, in fact, that it made me think that even if he doesn't get any better from here on in, he has a decent quality of life as he is. I find that a great comfort.
paddy.jpg
paddy.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Fantastic. What a lovely pic, he really looks content. So happy for him.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

oops, duplicate message
Last edited by meriad on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Crewella wrote:He looked so happy, in fact, that it made me think that even if he doesn't get any better from here on in, he has a decent quality of life as he is. I find that a great comfort.
exactly - you're spot on there

he is absolutely gorgeous x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Crewella he's lovely & looks so alert in the sun. Fusses to him! Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I know what you mean Helen, that's how we felt about Tommy. Your lovely pic of him enjoying the sunshine reminds me of our old boy - asleep on top of the car, with a big, silly grin on his face. It's nice that you can do that for him. Give him a fuss from me.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

He's looking good even if he is still wobbly...all the very best, Paddington - the gentlemen's snoozing club needs you! x
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi Helen just wondering how the lovey paddington is doing. Is he continuing to improve. Big fusses from Scotland for him x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hi Jilly, sorry - it's been a busy week at work, but thanks for asking after him. Paddington is still a bit wobbly at times, but he's doing well, eating, going out and managing to climb up and sit with us when he wants a fuss. The vet thinks he may never recover fully, but he's quite happy as he is! :)

One lovely outcome to his being ill is that he really seems to have bonded with us now - it's as though he understood and appreciated that we were trying to help and has become (slightly!) less food orientated and more loving. :)