Help - cat climbing on TV

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
HollyJLancaster
Frequent Cat Chatter

Help - cat climbing on TV

Post by HollyJLancaster »

Can anyone help??

I can't seem to stop Tiki climbing on top of our TV - its a very thin screen standing on a unit so extremely risky - she has nearly had it over several times - I have had to actually catch it once :cry:

If she brings it over it will smash, either with her underneath it or on the floor.

She has plenty of things to climb all over the house but she just isn't bothered about climbing up anything else. We've tried banishing her to another room. We did think about shouting at her but we are worried if she startles she may bring it down.

Anyone got any ideas?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Help - cat climbing on TV

Post by Crewella »

Can you balance something big, light, harmless and noisy on the TV set? Something like a bent coathanger maybe? Something that might fall and put her off - that often works with my gang when I want to stop them going on something.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

What about these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Tip-TV-S ... Sw9mFWL2YN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our TV came with one. One end screws into the unit (sorry Helen, it was only that ancient thing from about 1700 :) )
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ah ..... 'vintage'! ;)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Ah this is so helpful! I was actually going to post something similar as Sofi has started crawling behind our TV and leaning on it. I've tried to put up barricades and she just pulls them down with her claws or teeth. I'm actually considering screwing hte TV to the wall but it's not something I'm fond of doing because we rent.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes Helen - very vintage :)

Bought from the shop when it was closing down. The one that says 'We buy junk and sell antiques' :D (probably and old one, but always makes me smile)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

those are VERY clever Mark.... not just for pet owners but also people with children
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

There are similar ones for wardrobes, chests of drawer etc :)

I want to get a child safety clip for the cupboard in the kitchen where I keep cleaning stuff - mainly for Kasper, knowing that the cat-flap set on 'in only' isn't a problem for him! :)

I had some 'spirits of salts' (hydrochloric acid) in there until recently. He got in when I was taking something out, so I decided to use it up on the outside drain (not accessible to cats) and not replace it.
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

LOL Mark - I like that joke - my house is FULL of 'antiques' :lol:

I've been considering buying a dvd/tv unit :shock: Only for watching dvds though; would mean fussing about with the tv licensing thingy as I've been tv-less for years so only 'considering' at present but those anti-topple gismos look good.

Hi, Holly, I've got one like your Tiki and she's 4! You name it, if she's not supposed to be on it, she'll be there. Her favourite curtains for climbing are the ones on the wonky tension rods of course, and I can only thank heaven that she's never discovered the top of the kitchen dresser with the arty arrangement of bric-a-brac, huge glass globes, dried flowers...ssshhh! I never said that! Mustn't put ideas into her head!

This is what's worked for me and Molly (well, not totally, but often.)

Making a BIG FUSS. Furious hissing, ferocious whispering (I feel this is far more effective than shouting) and saying NO! Also 'WHAT are you doing?' And if she won't stop, 'WHAT did I say?' and also, if she still won't stop, a growl of 'RIGHT!' And getting to feet as if you mean business. You have to be a quite menacing fellow cat without being frightening, if you see what I mean. Clapping hands (not loudly) can also help.

Then of course when she's done as she's told (with persuasion) the big 'good girl!' bit and fusses, though I wouldn't give a treat just in case the little git decides that being naughty leads to treats. Their minds work in devious ways...I always remember that story of Gavin Maxwell's about the man housetraining the monkey:-

Every time the monkey made a mess in the house, the man smacked its bottom and put it out of the window. So in the end, the monkey learned. It would make a mess in the house, smack its own bottom, and jump out of the window!

Of course it's a big help if you can shut them out of that particular room when unsupervised, though of course that's not always convenient or possible.

Hi, Mrs K, hope you go on ok with Sofi - cats eh?

Good luck to us all! :D
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

I expect cats get on things like tv's as they are warm....It's surprising how much heat these flat screen tv's give out..!!
Ours is attached firmly to the wall..but if you walk next to it when it's been on a while..it's like a radiator on full blast..
(Usually on Create & Craft as I need some inpiration for Christmas cards this year..there's only so many cat themed cards you can do before neighbours think your a Siamese obsessive..!!)
Thankfully my two new hooligans stay away from all my card stash..but suppose it's only a matter of time before one of them pee's in my paper box...(groan..)

Is it possible to put a shelf above the tv so Tiki perches on that...I know it would get quite hot. (not sure if it would affect the tv as it should have ventilation etc.)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That buy junk/sell antiques line still makes me smile, and I'm in the trade! :D

With a house full of ..... erm ..... 'antiques' we have to have a house rule that cats are not allowed on any hard surfaces. Most are very good ..... but noob Paddington hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. That look on his face is him wondering why I keep pointing at the floor!
paddypopsmall.jpg
paddypopsmall.jpg (86.89 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Cheeky wee devil! :lol:
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

You might try using a spray bottle with water in it. Just spray her when she does something that she is not suppose to.