Converting standard burglar alarm to pet friendly one?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Converting standard burglar alarm to pet friendly one?

Post by andybriz »

This is most likely a question I need to ask an alarm company but thought I'd check here first!

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about converting standard alarm systems into pet friendly ones?

We moved about a year ago and the house has an alarm, but we can only use it when we go on holiday and the cats are in a cattery.

I know you can get pet friendly alarms as my parents have them in their house, but they had them installed from new.

If it's just a case of changing the sensors then great, but if it's changing the whole system completely then I'm not sure the hassle and expense will be worth it.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Converting standard burglar alarm to pet friendly one?

Post by Cussypat1974 »

i didnt even know pet friendly ones existed!!!! this is FANTASTIC news to my ears! i just always assumed that the cats would set the alarm off every time they jumped in the window or onto the back of the couch! we have no alarm and I have no info for you whatsoever I'm afraid. i have relied on the 4 dogs as my alarm thus far, but now the burglars are beating dogs to death and poisoning them and stealing the actual dogs too, so any security measure we can install is a bonus! can you tell me the brand your parents have so I can google them?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

When I had a burglar alarm out in my old flat, they said it was a case of the sensors being postitoned so they don't pick up movement on the ground. May work for dogs, but as we know, cats don't stay on floors :) - I didn't have any pets then, so I didn't need it anyway. I had a rubbish alarm put in by ADT, which went off by itself anyway andI ended up disabling it and had a war with them when I refused to pay the monthly charge.
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by andybriz »

Yeah they do exist!

It's nothing to do with not picking them up at low levels or anything as my parents cats jump all over the place, on top of kitchen cabinets, etc! I think it's to do with the size of them it doesn't pick up. They aren't sure of the make, a local alarm company came out and did it for them, it's a good 15 years ago now, so not new technology. Strange they are not more widely known about!

I just Googled it and you can get wireless/wire free system off Amazon for a couple hundred which you can put up yourself with good reviews.

Might have to enquire with an alarm company about adapting my existing wired in system.
paulscat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by paulscat »

Hi. I haven't posted since I lost my cat Spider in April but have been visiting quite a lot.
With regards to pet friendly detectors check out the link as this is what you need.
I used to fit security systems and although I've never fitted this particular detector, they always received good reviews. It's just a case of swapping the old PIR for the Duel Tec sensor although you might have to get someone in to do it. It's not a big job for a fitter and shouldn't take more than half an hour.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell-ADE ... q7WXyLHCQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;