best litter

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
julied
New Cat Chatter

best litter

Post by julied »

Hi my daughter has recently bought 2 kittens can I ask thoughts on best clumping litter to buy
Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: best litter

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome and congrats to your daughter on the kits :)

My personal preference is Sainsbury's ultra clumping; it comes in small bags (no great sack to hump around and store) and there's little waste as anything wet sets like cement and the solids are soon scooped out. I don't suppose it's the cheapest though and the downside is that I have to keep a metal wallpaper scraper at the side of each tray to 'bottom' it, so to speak, despite using metal scoops.

However that's just my personal choice and there will be other people on here who can recommend other brands. Hope your daughter has many happy years ahead with the 'babes' :D

ps edit - I just went on the Sainsbury's site to post you a link - and couldn't find the stuff! Unless it's been suddenly discontinued or my pc is playing silly beggars (highly likely!) I will keep on trying for a link anyway.

Update...nope. Could be they've downsized their stocks for the merry xmas promotion. I'll be really mad if this stuff's unavailable as it was so handy to get delivered...oh well, c'est la vie, sorry for rant and love to the kitties :)
Last edited by Lilith on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

We all have our own preferences, and our cats do, too, but my favourite is Lidl's own brand at £1-79 for a 10kg bag, so it's inexpensive,too, if you happen to have a branch near you.

Others will be along to tell you their favourites - so many to choose from.
julied
New Cat Chatter

Post by julied »

Thank you
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by Ruth »

How old are the kittens?
Up to about 6 months kittens can eat pieces of cat litter, because of this the best litter is the woodchip pellet type.
It's the only litter that if you do get a nibbler when it hits their digestive system it turns to powder and they can just pass it out. No chance of nasty blockages forming.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh my word Ruth, yes, that rings a bell!

Before the days of the wood pellet litter I regularly had kittens (I bred Siamese) who, especially when weaning, would eat their litter; I was aware of this; had read about it, and would notice little grey droppings but mercifully there were no problems with the fuller's earth litter; we were lucky!

Yes, if the wood pellet stuff is safer, I'd stick to that for small kittens.

I'll be interested to know of any good clumping litter on my own behalf by the way - can't BELIEVE Sainsbury's has cut down their selection like this...villains! :twisted:
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Just a quick suggestion but we buy tray liner bags for our cat. They work a treat for cleaning out a cat tray and you don't need to wash it out afterwards. Just grab the bag and put it in another bin bag or tie it off! They're in budget (about 3 quid for a pack of 10 or 15 depending on where you go. I dare say about the amount of money that would be spent on hot water cleaning the tray out anyway for 10-15 sessions) and I've found them very worth while as it makes the job SOOO much easier.

Perhaps not something the environmentally type would choose but when my Sofi is bursting for the loo and can't wait (IE, poos on the floor where her tray normally is) I find this option much quicker and convenient than scrubbing down her tray like a mad woman that has a deadline of minutes.
(Although I do sometimes lock her in the bedroom when I'm cleaning her tray. Cruel I know, but she knows not to go potty in there) (What is it with cats and needing the loo the minute you're cleaning out their tray? I ask you!)

I use a brand called "Sanicat Litter Gold" and I honestly don't know if it's available in the UK or not. I've found this clumps reasonably well but does get easily accumulated on fabrics like the sofa and chairs. After finding the crystal litter a waste of time and Sofi actually pooping next to the toilet with wood based litters I continued to use this as the tried and true brand.
Last edited by Mrs Kane on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Oh mines never fail 2 poo straight after I have cleaned them out.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andybriz »

As it's been said, everyone has their own preference - I really couldn't get on with the clumping kind at all. I tried every single type of cat litter on the market and my all time favourite was Breeder Celect, it's in most pet shops/supermarkets with a cute ginger kitten on the bag. It's recycled paper pellets. It doesn't smell, even after they've used it, doesn't tread into carpets. I think it's amazing stuff!
suelily wrote:Oh mines never fail 2 poo straight after I have cleaned them out.
Mine do the same!
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

:lol: My Sonny has the cheek to sit patiently and watch while I scrub the tray like a mad woman then casually saunters in and use it. Although his favourite is to wait till you have guests in (usually the ones who dont like cats) and do his worst!
I have tried most but find the wooden pellets the best and easiest to clean.
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

I like any litter that clumps.