Jealous resident cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Jealous resident cat

Post by suelily »

Hi everyone.I have been letting you all know about my new wee friend Lily who I had rehomed 9 weeks ago.Introduction was gradual and they got on as good as expected. Dexy kept on biting Lily but not hurting her. Last week he kept on pinning her down and getting tore in to her which distressed my Autistic son. My son has a very piercing scream which frightened poor wee Lily that she hid under his bed amongst his toy boxes and wouldn't come out. That soon became her place in the house. She wasn't put off with Dexy constantly jumping on her but it took its toll on my son who got very distressed. Unfortunately my wee Lily is back with the rescue lady I got her from. I miss her so much as I got very attached to her over the short time I had her. One of the reasons for her return to her rescue lady is my son lifted his foot to our resident cat Dexy who in turn hissed then clawed my sons foot which my son cant understand why because Dexy has never hurt him or ever scratched him. I tried to explain to him that he cant keep shouting at Dexy everytime he went near Lily but he wouldn't listen. Poor Dexy was getting shouted at constantly. To put you in the picture my son is 13 and thinks Dexy is his brother. His understanding is way behind his age. I just cant put Lily out of my head at the moment.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Jealous resident cat

Post by Kay »

this is a sad outcome for you, but I am guessing that your son's bond with Dexy is very important to him, and probably needs to be a one on one relationship to work

I hope the trust between them will soon be restored, but it does seem as if it is best not to introduce another cat - no newcomer is likely to be able to cope with loud unexpected noises, or constant human intervention, so I don't think you should blame yourself, your son or Dexy for it not working out
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Thanks Kay for your understanding I loved Lily so much. The difference with Dexy and Lily was she is very affectionate he doesn't even let you pet him, Although he sits at my sons bedroom door when he comes home from school and does not move until my son goes to bed then Dexy goes to his bed. I just feel really sad.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry. Probably the best thing in the circumstances, but that doesn't make it any easier for you. (((hugs)))
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Thankyou also Crewella. When I c how many cats r in ur household I think I only wanted 2, but Dexy has never ever been around other cats. Never been out, isn't interested in the great outdoors.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very very sorry to hear, after all your weeks of care and settling-in. A tough situation for you all x
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Thanks Liloth. I could have persevered no bother but my boy just wouldn't relax when the two of them were together. Although last night he said I still love her but Dexy is a fat bully and wont leave her alone. Poor Lily must have wondered what the screaming was all about. Bless her. I did hope Dexy would be looking for her but No. The hardest thing is the lady who has her back only lives 5 mins away. So everyday I keep saying to myself to go and get her but I am only thinking of myself and nothing else.