First time kitten owner!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sara95x
New Cat Chatter

First time kitten owner!

Post by Sara95x »

Hey all I have just joined up as last night I got my first kitten, I live with my partner and have a Yorkshire terrier, cockatiels and hedgehogs.
Now I have a 6week old black male kitten named Chester!
He hasn't met any of my pets apart from my dog so far, who he hissed at in the beginning but now just watches him if he walks past. My yorkie seems curious ( of course I have my eye on them at all times)

Is there any advice anyone could give me ?:) on kitten care in general or how to get my dog and kitten used to each other. I'd really appreciate it!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: First time kitten owner!

Post by meriad »

6 week old? That is far to young to be taken from his mom! Goodness me poor mite; where did you get him from

alas, it's now done but please do make sure that as soon as you can you have your boy neutered.

Re the introductions to other pets, at that young age and small size I'd say that the kitten will be fine with the other animals and it's more them you need to monitor. Just make sure the kitten has ample litter boxes in place because he'll be quite young to realise that he needs to go and may not get there in time and have an accident on the floor. Once he's bigger then you can start removing them.

The little one will need lots of attention, company and comfort for now; right diet, a vet check if you haven't had him there yet. Has he had his initial vaccinations; they'll need to be done as a matter of urgency

No allowing him out the house AT ALL until he's neutered and up to date with all his vaccinations and necessary boosters
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

you are likely to have a few issues because this kitten was removed from its mother far far too early. it is damage prevention at this stage. what life do you want for this infant? decide and expose it to that. gradually.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

but be prepared for problems in the future. i honestlycannot see this poor child growing up into a balanced individual.........
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm sure you didn't know that 6 weeks is too young to be away from his mum and that you want the best for your little lad, that's why you are here!

While what has been said is very true, please don't despair. Let me tell you a story.

Twelve years ago I was driving into town when I saw a neighbour's dog standing in the road. He is very street wise and does not usually wander into the road. He had something in his mouth. I slowed down and went to drive around him. He dropped what he was holding and stood over it, before turning and trotting back home. I thought he had found a blackbird until I saw four little black legs waving in the air. I stopped and scooped up a TINY kitten, just in time as a lorry was coming down the road behind me!

Up to that point I had never had a cat, I knew bxxxxr all about kittens. The local (farm) vets were not exactly helpful and the only person I could think of to help had just taken in a couple of kittens himself. Talk about steep learning curve. :shock: Everyone we spoke to said she would not survive, she was so young her eyes were not open. We drove into Enniskillen our nearest big town - 50 mile round trip, and called at a vets there, bought cat milk powder and a dolly's feeding bottle.

We will be eternally grateful to our dog, Rosie, who showed us how to 'toilet' a kitten. :? 'Willow' will be 13 next May. She is a Primadonna who likes to sleep in the wardrobe. She loves custard, ice cream and rice pudding (she gets to lick out the bowl) apart from some dental work she has had a very healthy life, touch wood, so far and developed into a normal sized cat with a very high opinion or herself.

The vet in Enniskillen said she was less than a week old. We did not find out where Pudsey had found her for several months. It turns out Pudsey's owner had a semi ferral cat who had kittens in a shed and Pudsey had found one that had fallen out of the 'nest'.

I wish you all the best. With a bit of effort on your behalf you should be fine. I would say be very careful about introducing little one to your dog. It may be a cute Yorkie, but it IS a terrier and I have known a Yorkie lead two other dogs in an attack on an adult cat. NEVER leave them alone together (until kitty is a bruiser of a Tom! :lol: )