RIP Locky

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

RIP Locky

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I have posted about Locky here before and need to update. He passed away peacefully at home at 11.10pm last night. Friday night he ate, but wasn't as enthusiastic abut dinner as usual. Saturday morning he refused breakfast so I popped him int the bathroom to keep an eye on what was going in and coming out of him (so to speak!) and went out to buy some tasty th gs to tempt him. Got natures menus and sardines I tomato sauce, but he refused both, so I rang the vet.
She advised me to monitor him so I was keeping track of his temp, resp and heart rate. I knew he was dying. I just KNEW.
He basically just faded away. The vet was ready for me to call if needed but as it was Locky I didn't. I would have if he had become distressed but he didn't. He kicked his blanket off, but he NEVER liked having a blanket over him. He wasn't vomiting and had no diarrhoea and showed no signs of pain. His heart just gradually slowed down and stopped, and he gave a few gasps at the end, but he had lost consciousness by then.
I am glad he went at home. I had carrier and car keys at the ready just in case, but he went at home, where he knew me and all the smells. I was with him till ALMOST the end. I asked Hubby to stay with him while I took a quick shower, and when I came down Locky was unconscious and taking his final breaths. I spoke softly to him and told him to go play with his best pal Shakespeare and Ali too, and that I would see them all again soon enough.
I thnk I did the right thing. I coild have dragged him to the vets to be euthanised, but it would have distressed him so much.......
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: RIP Locky

Post by Mrs Kane »

Rest in peace little Locky.

You did the right thing. He was happy until the very end with you by his side, at home with everything he loves, I'm sure of it.

Goodnight little Locky. Play well at rainbow bridge and know your mum loves you.

Hugs to you Cussypat. We're here for you. Try and sleep best you can tonight.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry, Catherine, I remember your Locky posts. You were right though, it sounds as good a way to go as any. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace lovely Locky.
Last edited by Crewella on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news. I get the feeling that we will be going through that with our Tommy in the near future. I can only hope and pray that my old lad goes the same way, at home with the family that loves him.

RIP Locky, many ((hugs)) to you Catherine.

Sue xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

So sorry to hear this Catherine, but what a lovely peaceful ending for him. RIP litle man. xx
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

he was sooooo unlucky to be born feral and with the kidneys he had. but he was so lucky that he got a home and was loved and I honestly did my very best for him. he wouldn't always take his phosphate binders and no way would he eat KD food. I did the best I could for him. and I am sooooooo glad he didnt suffer horribly before dying.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Sometimes all you can do is all you can do, if you get my meaning. You can't force a diet on cats, and sometimes you just have to do the best you can with medications. But you certainly did your best for him, and you will have improved the length and quality of his life no end, so yes, he was very lucky to have found you and to have been cared for so well at the end.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thank you all. I made my ðecision on that night trusting myself and my relationship with and knowledge of Locky. It is just nice to have some reassurance because I always feel the guilt part of grieving as the worst. I DID try to make the right decision for HIM. I told the vet the next day and she said she was glad he went that way too..... Because CKD can end so horribly......