Problems with neighbours

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Problems with neighbours

Post by norton0909 »

Hi everyone am new and this is my first post, we have a very loving family of 7 cats they are all brothers and sisters aunty and uncles except one molly she is a rescue but only 4 are allowed to go outside. No my problem began when we moved into our new house as the house is smaller so is the garden put there is a large double football size pitch at the back of us, so cats being cat like to wander around and occasionally leave "little presents" behind. The other problem is there is another 10 cats in this area including my garden and my neighbours. Last month i found a few "presents" throw over my garden wall from the gentleman living next door this went on for moths before i asked him to put the waste into bags before throwing them, he just simply refused. Now let's jump to winter time last year i looked my cats inside for 10 weeks because it was just to cold for them to go outside but there was still i pile of presents. I have offered to buy his something to put in his garden to stop my cats going in his garden but he refused. he also closes my kitchen window so the cats can't go out or get back in. Help i don't know what to do because he has also warned about putting poison down to kill the, we have CCTV fitted to the house so we can stop him i'm the act. We had to the cammers because he has not throwing the mess against my front door so my 11 year old has to step over it. I need help and advice, i tried to call to him but he just dismiss me.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Problems with neighbours

Post by suelily »

I had a neighbour that was worse than that. My son would be playing out our back and if he kicked his ball over or any of his toys the man would put them in the bin rather than throw them back over after leaving them there for a few days just to upset my son even more. As for the poo I would put it in a bag (or not) preferably and throw it back each time because it seems to me no matter what you say to him, he will just let it go over his head like the A...hole he is and keep doing it. That's what I would do.x
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

Even after keeping your cats in for 10 weeks over the winter and he stills throws it in your garden he obviously doesn't like you(sorry) for saying that. What a plonker he is. I really don't understand some neighbours and I have had a few rubbish ones in my lifetime. I hope you get it sorted but if its been going on all this time, I don't think its going to stop anytime soon. Good luck....Playing him at his own game seems to be the only solutuion.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

The problem with playing him at his own game is that it can escalate out of control especially with someone as unreasonable as your neighbour. I do sympathise we used to have neighbours like that.

In fact I have quite some sympathy for your neighbour, suelily. Our neighbours rabble 'played' such a vicious 'game' of football that they destroyed many a plant, broke glass in a neighbour's greenhouse, broke down a fence getting the ball back and trashed my hedge. They would push through the hedge and trample the garden to get the ball back - then do it all again. When one neighbour kept the ball, the little Darling 's mum call the police saying HE was bullying her children! :shock:

I am not saying for one minute that your children are like that, God no. But the more we tried to 'play them at their own game' the worse they got. The guy who bought our house ended up ripping out the hedge and building a very ugly wall between them. The garden looks like Colditz now!

I really wish I could offer you some more constructive solutions, just please try not to retaliate like for like. That sort of person never plays fair.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

So playing him at his own game did not work then. So what you are left with is just to try and not let it get you down (impossible situation). Keep us posted. Would like to hear good news, like maybe he has stopped. :?:
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

By the way it wasn't the football getting kicked over that started our neighbour being an idiot. It was a disabled parking bay being put on the road outside my house that started all the resentment. I have a disabled child. So whether it is cats, children or whatever. The neighbour obviously has took a dislike to me and my family. Anyway we are getting off the subject in hand. Cats are free to roam, we cant make them do the toilet in their own garden but your neighbour should have at least accepted your offer of putting something in his garden to try and stop all cats from doing their business, but throwing the poo in your garden is the highlight of his day I think :|
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by norton0909 »

Hi, all thanks for your replays.
We had the camera up for only 3 days and caught him on camera throwing it over the wall. I just left it to wee him off and show him i was not bovvered but this did not work, as he started throwing it at my front door then decided to cut down my washing line. I know it's disgusting him throwing the cat mess over the wall but it's him threatening to poison the cats that worries me. He is also saying i have to keep my kitchen window shut because it's giving them direct access to his garden, wouldn't a cat flap do the same thing?, he really has a problem about my kitchen window being open the silly old sod. I have researched it and by law my cats are covered under the right to roam act so am not held accountable for anything they do, and under law they are classed as my property so if he tries to do anything it's harm them it is a criminal act.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Personally, small garden and house or not - I'd cat proof the garden if you can. Then the cats can't get out and leave presents and you'd know they're safe; which for me would be the big issue. Because once cat proofed, if the neighbour continues doing what he is doing now, then you can call the police on him and report him for bullying and antisocial behaviour
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sounds like a very good idea!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Meriad, I think cat-proofing the garden would be your best bet, or creating an enclosure for them if you cannot enclose the whole garden. I also agree that a ****-for-tat battle will only escalate things further - one of you has to be the grown-up here, and it's obviously not going to be your neighbour. As bobbys girl says, there are legitimate complaints at the root of this, however unreasonably they are being complained about, and the more you can do to make sure your cats are not bothering other people and to try to see things from their point of view, the more likely you will be to find some kind of resolution.

But yes, having said all that ......... your neighbour sounds a complete and utter twonk. ;)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:But yes, having said all that ......... your neighbour sounds a complete and utter twonk. ;)
Twonk - now there's a word I have not heard in a while! :D Sums him up perfectly! :lol:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

a twonk he is! but i agree that cat proofing the garden will help. it sounds like a small garden which is a feasable project. i have had 2 cats poisoned recently and have no way to fence off our land short of a lottery win and huge planning permission. if I could, I would.
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by norton0909 »

Hi all, i've tried to cat proof the garden but i share a small wall with next door and he will not let me do anything to it, i've suggested taking down the wall and putting up fencing, build on top of the wall to make it higher i've even looked into invisible fencing but it gives them a shock so don't want to do that, so i don't know what else i can do.Am trying my very best but just end up hit my head against a brick wall :-(
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by norton0909 »

just to add that while this has been going on i've still been bring in putting out his bins every week for him, also when his wife broke her hip i was nipping to the shop for her and helping anyway i could but he still was throwing the cat poo over the wall into my garden. He is like jekyll and hyde one minute he is smiling to you and saying morning the next he just blanks you or looks at you like a bit of rubbish. Ive also spoken to the people who used to live here and he was like this with them ( except for the cat mess) he would complain if the kids were in the garden playing so i know it's not personal he just a grumpy old idiot that dislikes everyone. Sorry for the swearing just had to vent a bit :-) :roll:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooh that sounds familiar! The family next door to us are lovely but her dad can be like that. He cuts the grass for them (and there is a LOT of it). He is around most days. Nice to your face but behind your back..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: He once cut off some branches that were overhanging their garden, then just chucked them back over into our garden. I could understand it in suburbia but our garden is around 1/3 acre and theirs bigger still. :roll:

You know what they say 'up north' - ' there's nowt so queer as folk!' :lol: Good luck with the old fxxt.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

norton0909 wrote:Hi all, i've tried to cat proof the garden but i share a small wall with next door and he will not let me do anything to it,
Do you own your property? If yes, then there is no legal reason whatsoever that you can't
a) change the wall if it's your boundary line and you are responsible for the upkeep of the wall
b) if not your boundary line put a wooden fence in front of the wall so it's in your property and doesn't infringe on his

.... as for the bins; you're a nicer person than I am ;)
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by norton0909 »

bobbys girl wrote:The problem with playing him at his own game is that it can escalate out of control especially with someone as unreasonable as your neighbour. I do sympathise we used to have neighbours like that.

In fact I have quite some sympathy for your neighbour, suelily. Our neighbours rabble 'played' such a vicious 'game' of football that they destroyed many a plant, broke glass in a neighbour's greenhouse, broke down a fence getting the ball back and trashed my hedge. They would push through the hedge and trample the garden to get the ball back - then do it all again. When one neighbour kept the ball, the little Darling 's mum call the police saying HE was bullying her children! :shock:

I am not saying for one minute that your children are like that, God no. But the more we tried to 'play them at their own game' the worse they got. The guy who bought our house ended up ripping out the hedge and building a very ugly wall between them. The garden looks like Colditz now!

I really wish I could offer you some more constructive solutions, just please try not to retaliate like for like. That sort of person never plays fair.
We don't use the garden as everytime we step foot into it they come out and just stand there watchin you, my little girls way doing last minute homework that included painting so i suggested she did it outside as it was a walk day and i dont like here being stuck in. She was happy in the back garden painting away making no noise at all and next door came out shouting and swearing at her that she was being to noisy and the paint had gone on he plants, she was 5ft away from the wall at on a table and because she did not move within the 30sec he had given her he started spraying water into my garden right next to her. She was very upset and has not gone into the garden since. Every Time my mum comes round to do my garden ( it's small ish but can't manage it due to being disabled) he just stand there watching her, and if she got to the top of the garden he follows and so on. He is just so creepy. Wish i could move :cry:
norton0909
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by norton0909 »

meriad wrote:
norton0909 wrote:Hi all, i've tried to cat proof the garden but i share a small wall with next door and he will not let me do anything to it,
Do you own your property? If yes, then there is no legal reason whatsoever that you can't
a) change the wall if it's your boundary line and you are responsible for the upkeep of the wall
b) if not your boundary line put a wooden fence in front of the wall so it's in your property and doesn't infringe on his

.... as for the bins; you're a nicer person than I am ;)
As i said everytime i go init the garden he follows so when i ve asked work me to give me a quote he starts kicking off saying am not allowed to touch that wall or anywhere near it, at that point the workmen no longer want the job. i did thi of putting the fence in front of the wall but he said it would obsuck his view, the only view he has is into my garden so he will not be able to perve anymore.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good grief, I thought our lot were 'orrible! He sounds positively unbalanced.

It is wrong that you, your little girl and your kitties are prisoners in your own home. I hope and pray that things change in your favour very soon. Sending all good vibes your way.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

His behaviour is totally unreasonable and 100% not acceptable and I'd be tempted to take it further and if need be report him to the police for harrassment. You are entitled to do WHAT YOU WANT in your own garden and if putting up a fence to give you peace and quiet is what is needed then so be it - stuff his issues with obstructing his view; he can look at his own garden or other gardens if necessary.

Alternatively, put in a fence using 2" trellising - it's what I've done in my front garden. It keeps the cats in but doesn't obstruct any view.
Attachments
Front garden.jpg
(139.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I agree with Meriad. Put up a 6 foot fence in your back garden if you want to, he cannot stop you if it is within your boundary. I know that the law could be different in Scotland as we are only allowed a 3 foot fence in front garden but the back is 6 feet. He is just being a nuisance not you or your family. Phone your local authority and find out your rights and restrictions then do what you are allowed to do. Then if he complains I would just do a Jekyl & Hyde right back at him. Bloody idiot that he is. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Told my OH of your problems. I know the site administrators would not let me post his reply! :shock: :lol: But generally we agree with Ria. :P to him
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Is the next door neighbour your landlord? if not I'd seriously consider filing a complaint with the local council for harassment. With your CCTV footage I'm sure you could prove it.
This guy needs a good verbal of physical slap around the face. Whatever happened to "unity" among neighbours?
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

This man CLEARLY has psychiatric issues. Your concern in not him (I know you are helpful and a good neighbour, but you cannot sort that). Your concern for and responsibility to, is your cats. There HAS to be some way you can cat proof your garden. This man cannot stop you from doing things on your own property.
I would keep them inside if possible while his man is in the area. I got NO WARNING when Ali and Shakey were poisoned...... At least you can see it coming.
Ring social services, council, whoever you can think of. And cat proof your garden or keep them in till he is gone.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Also....... If you let the cats out even for minutes (I know some cats will literally open windows!) be aware of the signs of the various types of poisoning. At least then the vet has an idea to work on. My 2 boys died of rat poison and they only show signs when it is too late. Antifreeze can be fixed if caught early.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Poison is just horrible........ And so EASY!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Cussypat1974 wrote: Antifreeze can be fixed if caught early.
Did you see "The Supervet" the other night? A cat came in with what was eventually determined to be antifreeze poisoning. The antidote is ethanol (alcohol) but they said there wasn't any in stock in the surgery. (Something I find a bit surprising, in such a high-tech place.) But someone produced a bottle of vodka, which they gave the cat intravenously every four hours until he got over the poisoning. He seemed to be quite happy under the treatment, if somewhat stoned :) but he did make a full recovery.

My cynical nature is inclined to wonder if the "vodka" part of the story was made up, to make interesting television, and the cat was in fact dosed with clinical ethanol, which I would have expected them to have available. However, a cat which came in desperately ill and fitting, went home well, so in that instance there was a happy ending.

Mary
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

that episode was a subject of great discussion in my nursing class! yes, you would imagine that the average vet practice would have ethanol on hand, BUT..... Fitzpatrick's referrals is NOT a general practice. They dont get ordinary animals and ONLY work from referrals. and No vet will refer an antifreeze poison case because they can do it themselves and because time is of the essence. I dont thing Fitzpatricks would have ethanol to hand, and it was one of their Nurses' cats who just brought him in (as you would eh? if you worked for the Supervet!).
a bottle of vodka CAN be used and it is pretty much the old school way to deal with these cases. Get the patient mouldy drunk! i am pretty sure they used the vodka but then switched to ethanol once they could get some in. so yes. it made great TV, but what I found dubious was Noel himself pretending hew didnt know about this! Sure even I know about it and I am only a second year nursing student!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I think it was the fact that it was VODKA. Our vet was the same, 'vodka? Ah, yes... Ethanol, mmm, yes, makes sense'.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am sure gin would have worked too! I was once told that rum by-passed the liver and went straight to the brain, but I am dubious now that I have studied a bit of physiology!
back to the original probvlem..... if there is a wall, you could attach brackets and netting to YOUR side of the wall. the neighbour can't stop you doing anything on your own side surely? alternatively, build a wooden frame that encompasses your whole garden, and cover in chicken wire. it will cost a bit, but I recently paid 250 euro to take home a dead cat after TRYING to save him from poison. the previous one who also came home dead cost less as there wasn't time for bloods to be done, and he died so no euthanasia charge. still came to 350 which will buy a lot of wood and wire! and I get a vet discount as have worked for her, so most people would have been charged more, and still have to bury their cats.......