pet insurance?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

pet insurance?

Post by Joanne_ »

Do you think it is worth it? or is it just better putting that money away every month?
We got insurance out for the first time ever this year which is around £16 a month for two cats but we have to pay the first like 70ish anyways... just wondering what everyone does and if it is worth it?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: pet insurance?

Post by MarySkater »

When I first adopted two cats, I insured them. I had a couple of minor veterinary problems with them, paid the excess and let the insurance pay the rest. At one point my older cat needed some dental work done under anaesthetic. That wasn't covered by the insurance, and I paid around £200 for it. As the cats got older the premiums went up, and eventually I decided to cancel the insurance. If a problem was going to cost a few hundred to fix, I was prepared to take that out of my savings. (I did have to pay for some treatment now and then.) If something came up that was going to cost thousands, then it couldn't be done and I would have to say goodbye to that cat. I should add, my cats were kept indoors, so at least I was never faced with the drastic trauma of say a road accident which would need massive surgery.

Eventually my older cat fell ill. As he was a rescue, his age was uncertain, but probably about 16-19 at the time. He lost a lot of weight, and it was difficult to get him to eat. The vet said he had a mass in his abdomen which might be a tumour, but they couldn't be sure without surgery. Regardless of cost, I wasn't putting a sick old cat through that, but I did get blood tests done, in case there was something wrong that might be fixed with medicine. The tests came back negative, so I said I'd keep him until I felt he wasn't enjoying life any more, then I'd have him put to sleep. With hindsight, I think I kept him too long. When the younger cat began to show age-related signs of failing health, aged 14, I took her for one or two vet visits, but when nothing simple/ fixable showed up, I decided it was time to say goodbye, before she became really miserable.

So I would probably insure young cats, but as the cats get older, the premiums go up, and problems become more likely, I might discontinue the insurance. But I'd have to have some available money, and I'd have to be prepared to let the cat go at a time when it seemed right for the cat, even if it wasn't right for me.

Mary
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

Its a difficult one. My cat is an indoor cat and I feel the same. Hopefully the worst that would happen to him is dental treatment which is not covered by insurance. He is 8. I think most insurance is a con, that's just my opinion but its a choice we all have to make.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

wouldn't want to be without it - yes it's expensive but believe you me, when you need it it's worth every penny you paid - the one thing to make sure of is that it's life cover.

Years back one of my cats was hit by a car - it was Good Friday 2007; a date I'll never ever forgot. Bank holiday meant my vet was closed so I had to get her to the emergency vet who - due to holiday shopping traffic - was 30 minutes away. Cut a long story short; 3 nights at the emergency vet in an oxygen tent trying to stabilise her then to my vet for repair to a ruptured diaphragm = £2500 later! Money I didn't have then and wouldn't have now. I had to pay the emergency vet up front but thankfully my vet dealt directly with PetPlan and sorted it all out for me. If it weren't for that insurance Jamie wouldn't be alive today.

Also don't forget there are other illnesses that whilst manageable are quite expensive to treat / medicate and again insurance will pay out year after year (if you have life cover). If you have regular cover they'll cover for the insurance year only and then exclude the condition.

I have 6 cats and have a minor heart failure whenever I get the renewal premiums through, but hey.... at least i know if something happens I can afford to give them the best treatment there is
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

We have an indoor cat and have decided against insuring her. Instead we've created a separate account and we both put in 20€ each month for her. She's only 4 at the moment so I doubt she'll have any problems for a few years yet. She didn't come to us with any issues and seems very healthy. Some people may say we're leaving too much to chance but I'm happy with saving the money and using it as needs must for her annual check-ups and so on.

Outdoor cats are a different issue. I'd definitely have insurance for them as you never really know what's going to happen, no matter if you're in the sticks or close to a city.

I think the questions you need to ask yourself when thinking about getting pet insurance are:
1. Am I worried about my cats health and or safety?
and
2. If my cat does have an injury/illness can I pay for it myself?
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

I would love to get pet insurance for my pets but I have to many. I could not afford it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All my cats are older, and I made the decision to pay into an account for them (and have a credit card on standby) instead of taking out insurance. Daz is the youngest, at 7 and I might have considered insuring him, but he cost us a small fortune with his urinary problems a couple of years ago, and that wouldn't be covered anyway as it's a pre-existing condition so we've not done him either.