Introduction of new kitten to older cat, am I doing it wrong?!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
misspv
New Cat Chatter

Introduction of new kitten to older cat, am I doing it wrong?!

Post by misspv »

Hi there.

New here and very first post! So please be nice! :) This will be long as I want to get the most accurate answers possible!

Just wanted some advice, and perhaps reassurance that I am moving along the correct lines here! I have always had cats and have successfully integrated two of similar ages and characters, but an older cat and kitten is a new realm and so I am trying to be a sponge to make sure I take on as much good advice as possible!

We took in a 6 month old rescue kitten just under 3 weeks ago, but also have a 10 year old female cat who has been with us over two years. She moved with us to our new house, and so for the last 16 months, it has been me, her, and my partner in 'our' house. Our female has long been neutered and little man was done shortly after arriving.

She tends to be a house dweller, who likes to have a stroll in the garden, and to sunbathe in summer, but other than that, likes her home comforts. I would say she is a shy but friendly character. although when she arrived with us she was quite anxious for some time. It has taken us along time to gain her trust and her to enjoy a fuss. She still doesn't sit on laps, but will stand near you or happily be picked up for a stroke, but once she has had enough, she likes to get tucked up in her fave spots. She is pretty chilled out now she knows us, and definitely is not a dominant character.

He is obviously full of energy as a kitten, but there is absolutely no malice, he is a gentle and kind kitten, who seems quite naive still, which I thought would be better as he will then learn to accept her boundaries a bit easier whilst learning from her. He is a cuddly, friendly and confident little critter, but he isn't stupid and he knows where (most) the boundaries lay with behaviour, although needs the odd positive reinforcement.

Clearly adding a kitten to the mix we know it is going to take time for her to adjust (and that can be up to months!) and we are taking it very slowly. I am also conscious though that the longer it takes, the less likely it is she is to accept him!

To explain, for the first week he had his own 'safe' room, and she had the run of the rest of the house still, making sure she had access to the room with her favourite spots. Then we gradually allowed her to smell his area, rubbed them with towels, exchanged scents etc, allowed them to smell and see each other through the door (doors with glass came in handy!), before allowing her into the room with him in his carrier. After doing this for a few more days (although she couldn't really be bothered to inspect), we have allowed him into the rest of the house with supervision. At night and when we are out, he is kept in the 'safe room'.

To be fair, they don't fight or show any major signs of aggression and he is completely oblivious to it anyway. He occasionally goes to pounce playfully which she clearly doesn't like as an older lady, but she just hisses and so far there have been no major run ins... fingers crossed! He is slowly learning not to pounce or chase, but as a kitten he has lapses, and so until we are sure there will be no run ins, they will be kept supervised. We try to wear him out with plenty of playtime too and I hope that once he is allowed outside, he will burn up his own energy!

Our older cat always gets some downtime in the evening with us, and I always make sure to give her fuss. Little man also gets fuss but I try to make sure it isn't done too much in front of her as to not confuse her place in the hierarchy. She has done the usual of hissing at us because of the new smells and routine, but when he is on 'downtime' she happily has a cuddle like usual.

I have also bought the feliway plug in, which has been in about 24 hours, and also the pheromone spray, which she LOVES. I have sprayed it in areas to try and encourage her back into the rest of the house, which worked last night, as she slept in the bedroom for the first time in 3 weeks and he left her be. I want to continue encouraging shared space, rather than split territories, but don't want to force it. She isn't hiding away either, she tends to stay in the same room as she was in although she will move to a different 'area' at times, and she has a defined 'safe spot' at the minute, so I try to make sure he doesn't invade this too much. I don't however want her to end up clinging to that area forever more, but she is slowly becoming more mobile around the house again at times, like the other night.

I have a spray bottle to hand to reprimand bad behaviour in little man, and also treats for both of them when they are relaxed and peaceful. They get fed in the same room together, but apart, enough to see and smell each other. I am trying to get them associating each other with nice things. They eat peacefully within proximity.

To note, there are two feeding areas and two litter trays. His are within his 'safe' area and hers remain in the same place. I have to sometimes remind him not to steal, but gradually he is getting the hint about 'his and hers' bowls. She just tends to sit and watch him if she does catch him stealing.

There have been some very peaceful moments where by they have sat happily near each other with no issues, and have slept within a few feet of each other. Not best friends, but neutral/mutual ground.

My only issue is that she continues to hiss at him either when he walks near, or when he first enters the room. There are moments of no hissing, usually once he is sat still, or has been in the room a while. Should he move again she then will have a short hiss again. She doesn't outwardly strike out at him, and he ignores her and carries on, or rolls over in a submissive way near her. It seems more of a threat that she wont (and so far) hasn't really acted on rather than a 'I am ready to attack' noise.

Occasionally when he is in 'play' mode he continues to stand near, almost touching her & sniffing, and she just continues to hiss (in which case I distract him away from the situation). She will tend to hold her ground until he wanders off, or she'll then move elsewhere. I tend to back her up a bit to reassure her by removing him when I know she needs a break, but other than that, I am trying to let them find their ground with each other a little, as long as fur isn't flying, and they are both relaxed. She definitely isn't stressed or anxious as such because once the moment is over she goes back about her business or will very quickly settle down to rest or sleep.

Am I right by allowing them to sort out their own hierarchy a little whilst supervising, because I assume that is what she is doing? Do I need to backtrack on any of the steps? And is there anything else I can be doing to help things along? I am not concerned that there is any major aggression or issues cropping up right now, but am I heading the right way, and how long will this take?! As I write this one is asleep on the couch, and one on the chair a few feet away. So again, neutral sharing of territory.

Ideally, and long term I want them to share the full house, rather than split areas, but I know this will take time!

Thanks in advance! :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introduction of new kitten to older cat, am I doing it wrong?!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I think you're doing fine! You've clearly taken so much care to introduce them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hissing. This can mean aggression but quite often it's almost conversational: 'Oy, young feller me lad, I'm boss! Just saying!' I'm reminded of a new kitten who I once took up into the bedroom for her first nights - and she came and cuddled up in my neck, but every time I moved, she hissed. 'You are my person, but you're still strange, so I'm telling you!'

To me it sounds like she's already accepting him and establishing boundaries (and bonds) but don't worry about how long this might take. Almost 5 years ago I adopted an adolescent kitten who wreaked havoc, and the two older girls hated her. In the last year the eldest girl has been not exactly playing with her, but interacting, paw boxing and chasing like a mother cat with an unruly kitten, which is great.

There will be other people on here with more advice but honestly I reckon it's going very well and congrats :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree that you're doing all the right things and they just need to sort out their boundaries between themselves - there sounds like there's no real aggression there. It just takes time, but that could be weeks or months - so much depends on the characters of the individual cats involved. I would say you're not too far from the stage where you will no longer need to supervise them so closely, you're doing everything right. :)
misspv
New Cat Chatter

Post by misspv »

Thanks for the replies :D

It's been another week and a bit since I first posted, so to update!

The general grumbles at kitty still haven't stopped, although she never does anything more and generally tolerates him. He so desperately wants her to like him as he tries to gently introduce himself most the time by quietly sniffing her and laying near her. He's very submissive and kitten like with her 90% of the time. She just grumbles under her breath with no more action taken. He usually is minding his own business but she still does it when he gets too close.

They eat near each other with no fuss, she'll even let him share her bowl with no fuss (I always remove him however as he needs to learn that there is a his and hers!). She's quite happy either watching or ignoring him when he's not too close, but she still hasn't yet fully accepted him. She is however growing more confident around him (but is by no means scared of him) as she is claiming back more or her sleeping spots, is accepting a bit more fuss from us again, and does occasionally let him sniff and nuzzle her, BUT still with the grumbling.

I think the general hissing and growling probably comes from the few times he has tried to pounce and play (with lots of noise from her but no actual harm done to either or any actual fighting!), but generally this is rare and they are still closely monitored and will continue to be until I trust him not to.

Given that she's now more mobile and confident around the house again, I take it things are still going the right way and to just continue as is whilst old lady sorts out their relationship in her own time? Will the grumbling at him eventually stop?!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That sounds like great progress. The grumbling may or may not stop, but I wouldn't worry about it - it's just a form of communication after all. My Grumpy Nellie growls and hisses at everyone, including Merrick with whom she's lived her whole life and likes to sleep close to for comfort if they are away from home, and my boys do growl or hiss at each other if a game is getting too rough or one of them isn't in the mood for playing chase. Even my big cuddlebunny Daz used to growl or hiss at his beloved Peaches sometimes - and he adored her from the day she arrived when he literally camped outside her door, calling to her, until I let them meet face-to-face.

It sounds to me as though they are sorting themselves out fine, just give them time. :)
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I wish my two had got on with just hissing. If Lily lay down in a submissive pose Dexy walked up and bit her. This was everyday for 9 weeks until the last week he kept pinning her down and hurting her. Sounds like your two cats are getting on just fine in comparison to mine. Well done.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

welcome!
as others have said, you are doing it all right. I wish everyone would take introductions as seriously as you have! i reckon your two will get along in time. i have lots of rescues and this Summer a man arrived and dumped Abby on us. Great cat but she spent months in one room as she hated other cats. she is ok with them now, and it is just one female, Lozzie, who she doesn't get on with. best of luck but honestly, i dont think you will need luck as you have done the proper preparation!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my 13 year old Tiffany still regularly hisses at Tosker, although he's been here more than 6 years - but since I lost Trigger, whom Tiffany adored, she seems to be more accepting of him, and after sleeping on my bed every night for years, he now invariably spends the night in the sitting room with her, so I guess he senses he is more accepted

I reckon it's the same with a lot of married couples - always moaning to and about each other, but nevertheless happy together because both know neither really means it
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I have read all the books on cat behaviour and studied as much as I can as a lay person. I have also broken all the rules due to necessity! I have a colony of 29/30 (big Mick just visits!) and used to have 48. People never believe me when I say they don't kill each other! It is all about fulfilling needs..... For space, exercise, food, sex, etc...... If cats. Don't have to compete, they are too lazy to fight! Control all of THOSE factors and the can get along just fine! We had to move to the CPU trysiðe to achieve it though! Lol
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Countryside, that should read. And I also hasten to add that I do all new introductions according to best practice! They all start off in the bathroom, in a cage, and get GRADUALLY introduced to the gang. Nice cats first. I have my tried and tested routine. I don't just fling them into the general population!
Lulu54
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Lulu54 »

Sounds like you are doing great to me.

Cat's don't always get on I have one who has to be seperated from the others permanently, luckily that is possible as a door separates the front and back of the house and can be kept shut. They have been apart for three years and refuse to integrate - there is bloodshed.

I've accepted they will never get on.

I've had 4-5 cats at a time in previous years and no problem with them all living together at all until now.
Figarocat
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Figarocat »

Great videos online on YouTube if you search Bengal cat meets kitten, or Teego meets Bengal kitten (when said kitten grows up and meets a new Bengal). The owners are very experienced and explain the different characters and why they behave as they do beautifully. Taught me a lot about my gang of strays as I can now see who's the leader and who's being playful, who's aggressive and who's just scared x