Anyone else tried Sainsbury's grain-free?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Anyone else tried Sainsbury's grain-free?

Post by MarkB »

I don't know if it is new, or just that I hadn't seen it before as it was round the other side of the food aisle with the litter!

There is a salmon and a chicken version. Grain-free and very high meat/fish content. The salmon version contains salom meal AND chilled salmon meat (+ chicken) http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... ction-500g
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Anyone else tried Sainsbury's grain-free?

Post by Crewella »

I've not seen that one, but we're not regular Sainsbury's shoppers. I'll look out for it next time we go. :)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I wonder what "chilled salmon meat" is?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It does sound a bit 'marketing speak' doesn't it Marla! :lol: - it obviously isn't chilled sitting on a regular shelf in Sainsbury's - I suppose they just mean fresh salmon meat as opposed to fish meal.

Kasper probably isn't the best tester, as if it is fish flavoured, he will eat it. He doesn't eat a huge amount of wet (although I give him wet a few times a day) his main dry is JWB fish and he is also happily eating the much cheaper Harrington's - price on par with Go-Cat, but far superior.

The annoying part is that t only seems to come in 500g bags, although much cheaper than Applaws/Encore and very likely the same stuff!
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

It's good that cat food manufacturers are increasing the meat content.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

I know everyone has probably been here b4 but my cat used 2 just eat dry food then I got another cat who ate wet food and Viola my cat now eats wet food. Thing is he only eats the jelly or gravy. So I am going 2 give him dry again with just one pouch a day. Very fussy aren't they? :?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It is good Marla, but there will also always be a market for the rubbish - ie Go-Cat, Whiskas dry, supermarket own basic etc. I have even seen some huge bags in places like Poundland (Webbox Stars), Home Bargains etc. I would hate to think what these low-meat, high carb diets do to cats over time - probably cause diabetes and other chronic illnesses.
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

MarkB wrote:It is good Marla, but there will also always be a market for the rubbish - ie Go-Cat, Whiskas dry, supermarket on basic etc. I have even seen some huge bags in places like Poundland (Webbox Stars), Home Bargains etc. I would hate to think what these low-meat, high carb diets do to cats over time - probably cause diabetes and other chronic illnesses.
Let me tell you Mark that not even the fox or hedgehogs will eat Webbox Stars. I was given a bag of it by someone whose cat went missing so they had no use. Mine all turned their noses up and if I put it outside for any wild animal / stray cat / dog - whatever - to eat it remains untouched!

I ended up chucking the lot ;-)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I'm not surprised Ria. The bag is at least 1kg, maybe more, for £1 - I feel for animals that have to eat it :cry:

There are some decent quality cheaper foods around and they don't cost much more than the low quality ones. ie Supacat, Harringtons and few others that Zooplus sell.

The cat probably went looking for a decent meal!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

As Kasper loves the salmon version of this, I bought another bag this week + a bag of the chicken version. I put a bowl out for Domino in the basement. On Friday night, I was gobsmacked to see Kylie munching away at it - it must be getting on for a year since she touched any dry food at all. She still refuses other brands, including her old favourites. I thought it might be a one-off, but she is still eating it, at had some a few minutes ago.

Although it isn't a senior food, given that her kidneys are fine, I am happy to let her have it. It doesn't cost any more that the RRP of Purina One (Although I can usually get Purina one for £10 for 3kg from Zooplus)

40% poultry meat meal, 20% fresh chicken + potato, chicken oil, linseed, Yukka, Rosemary, Marigold extract.
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Your Kylie does love to keep you guessing!! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes - she is full of surprises :D