Thoughts on missing cats at Christmas ....

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Thoughts on missing cats at Christmas ....

Post by Lilith »

:lol:

I too have known spraying females; my Siamese in call for instance and a three-quarter Siamese girl, the dreaded Leopard (who I've mentioned before) who sprayed EVERYWHERE, and at that time I hadn't discovered hooded trays either.

I was living in a rather nice cottagey house with a very jerrybuilt back extension that converted an old wash house into a utility room; before we put the kitchen into the wash house it was in the dining room, bathroom and bedroom above, and I kept finding a mysterious puddle on the clean draining board. One day I actually saw water pouring through the ceiling next to a beam. I dashed upstairs - to find one of my Siamese standing up in the bathroom tray, happily hosing down the wall behind her ...

Lovely.

ps, Maryskater - congrats on your two new arrivals, they're gorgeous :D
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Thank you, Lilith. They're settling in nicely. Rocky is still a bit timid, in that if I make a sudden movement he will flinch away. But if I don't do anything to scare him, he has turned out to be a real lap cat. Bridie is more independent. She'll let me have the armchair as long as she can have the sofa.

Re spraying females: a friend of mine had a neutered female which would spray, with the tail-shaking, but only did it in the garden. She was clean in the house, which was just as well as my friend wouldn't have a litter tray in the house; the cat had a cat-flap, and was expected to go outside. I remember one day when the weather was foul and she didn't fancy outside, I watched her jump into the bath and carefully pee down the plug-hole. What really amused me was the way she scratched around the bath trying to bury it.

Mary
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Aw Mary so glad to hear you have another two, they are gorgeous!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

When we had dogs we always had girls and would always go for a girl again. We thought the same about cats but Tom and Bob proved us wrong. They are easy-going, perfect gents - no spraying either!

The girls on the other hand are all little divas, and if there is spraying to be done Purdy's your girl! :lol:

I put the tree up today. The cloth 'skirt' around the base has been sprayed with essential oils of Frankincense and Patchouli to (hopefully) prevent her Christening it. OH says it smells like a 'Tart's Boudoir' (how would he know? :shock: ) :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Well, I didn't choose a cat, I'm torn between two, both younger than I normally go for, but both been in rescue for over 12 months due to personality. The younger one preferred me, but not sure if the older one is grumpy just because she's been in a rescue for so long and will be a different cat in a home environment
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I wondered how you'd got on, Desley. My gut feeling ....... that you'r right about the older cat. I bet she would blossom if someone would give her a chance and take her out of the shelter. But you know all that, you know better than I do - you have more experience. Taking on a cat is a big commitment and a very personal thing - you're practically choosing a life partner, and you need to feel right about it. If you're finding it hard to decide, it might be because the right options have not yet presented themselves - or maybe even that you've not yet met the right cat yet. There's no hurry, you need to feel sure you're making the right choice, and for the right reasons.

Hopefully over the next few days your feelings will 'settle' and you'll know what you want to do. Good luck. :) xx
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Late to the party again like an unwanted guest :P

I was rather taken in by this post by Bobby's Girl because it's something I've been talking about a lot recently.
Our local rescue centre has closed it's doors to folks wanting cats/dogs over the Christmas period. Good idea really, there are far too many pets given as gifts over Christmas and, unlike the decorations, you can't put them back in the box when it's all over.
There's a big ad campaign going on here about adopting "animal presents for the whole family." It's in Catalan so I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be condescending to pets or not. To be fair it does say "give back!" at the end of the advert in English like that's supposed to be an instruction.

I wish they'd put a ban on people purchasing animals over Christmas and Easter. I think a lot of peoples thought into buying animals at Christmas consists of: "Well Amy wrote to Santa saying she wanted a dog. We better get a dog for her from Santa then!"
No thought, no cost put to mind, no insurance payments, no... ANYTHING!

My Christmas present would be a nationwide campaign showing what happens to animals in January after Christmas, on TV in December. Maybe then some people would get a clue.

Then again... Maybe not.

PS: Sorry for the rant. One of my students has just announced she's getting her friend a puppy as a surprise for Christmas and it was as much as I could do not to slap her. This has been on my mind a lot lately since the class. The pet Christmas presents, not the slapping.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I do agree with you. It's also the worst day for an animal to be introduced to it's new home as in most households it's noisy and busy, with lots of other distractions. In most cases.

Do you remember people used to buy day-old chicks at Easter as well ...... the vast majority of which were dead within the week ....... :cry:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Mrs Kane wrote:Late to the party again like an unwanted guest :P

I was rather taken in by this post by Bobby's Girl because it's something I've been talking about a lot recently.
Our local rescue centre has closed it's doors to folks wanting cats/dogs over the Christmas period. Good idea really, there are far too many pets given as gifts over Christmas and, unlike the decorations, you can't put them back in the box when it's all over.
There's a big ad campaign going on here about adopting "animal presents for the whole family." It's in Catalan so I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be condescending to pets or not. To be fair it does say "give back!" at the end of the advert in English like that's supposed to be an instruction.

I wish they'd put a ban on people purchasing animals over Christmas and Easter. I think a lot of peoples thought into buying animals at Christmas consists of: "Well Amy wrote to Santa saying she wanted a dog. We better get a dog for her from Santa then!"
No thought, no cost put to mind, no insurance payments, no... ANYTHING!

My Christmas present would be a nationwide campaign showing what happens to animals in January after Christmas, on TV in December. Maybe then some people would get a clue.

Then again... Maybe not.

PS: Sorry for the rant. One of my students has just announced she's getting her friend a puppy as a surprise for Christmas and it was as much as I could do not to slap her. This has been on my mind a lot lately since the class. The pet Christmas presents, not the slapping.
Most small animal rescues won't home rabbits for Easter. Yesterday I had an email from someone wanting a cat as a Christmas present for his mum and was specific about what he wanted for her.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Crewella wrote:I wondered how you'd got on, Desley. My gut feeling ....... that you'r right about the older cat. I bet she would blossom if someone would give her a chance and take her out of the shelter. But you know all that, you know better than I do - you have more experience. Taking on a cat is a big commitment and a very personal thing - you're practically choosing a life partner, and you need to feel right about it. If you're finding it hard to decide, it might be because the right options have not yet presented themselves - or maybe even that you've not yet met the right cat yet. There's no hurry, you need to feel sure you're making the right choice, and for the right reasons.

Hopefully over the next few days your feelings will 'settle' and you'll know what you want to do. Good luck. :) xx
I wondered if it was that I hadn't met the right cat so am going to another local rescue tomorrow. I'll feel bad on the first rescue, but have to pick the right cat for me
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

No, it is definitely a territory issue! I have seen MANY females do this and it has nothing to do with a weak bladder! Insecurity or dominance marking probably. many of my newcomer females did it till they felt at home and relaxed. I lost many DVD players to this affliction!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

booktigger wrote:
Crewella wrote:I wondered how you'd got on, Desley. My gut feeling ....... that you'r right about the older cat. I bet she would blossom if someone would give her a chance and take her out of the shelter. But you know all that, you know better than I do - you have more experience. Taking on a cat is a big commitment and a very personal thing - you're practically choosing a life partner, and you need to feel right about it. If you're finding it hard to decide, it might be because the right options have not yet presented themselves - or maybe even that you've not yet met the right cat yet. There's no hurry, you need to feel sure you're making the right choice, and for the right reasons.

I wondered if it was that I hadn't met the right cat so am going to another local rescue tomorrow. I'll feel bad on the first rescue, but have to pick the right cat for me
Good luck tomorrow. :)
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Cussypat, I think you meant your post to go in the "scent-mark lying down" thread in the Behaviour section...? Maybe you could get forum admin to move it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, been to another rescue and still not sure - as they have over 200 cats, maybe I'm not ready. There was one that came on my shoulder but she's very temperamental. There is a brother and sister that my neighbour thinks I should get
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Desley re: your neighbour its you who's looking for a companion not your neighbour. My advice is to go by your own inner voice which is always right on the mark. Good luck. Keep us posted. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

booktigger wrote:Well, been to another rescue and still not sure - as they have over 200 cats, maybe I'm not ready. There was one that came on my shoulder but she's very temperamental. There is a brother and sister that my neighbour thinks I should get
I agree with Mary, it's you not our neighbour that has to choose. I've always wanted a cat that would sit on my shoulders, but never met the right one at the right time. Did you feel you made a connection with her? Sometimes it's the temperamental ones that form the deepest bonds when they meet the right person. How are you feeling about it having slept on it?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Crewella wrote:
booktigger wrote:Well, been to another rescue and still not sure - as they have over 200 cats, maybe I'm not ready. There was one that came on my shoulder but she's very temperamental. There is a brother and sister that my neighbour thinks I should get
I agree with Mary, it's you not our neighbour that has to choose. I've always wanted a cat that would sit on my shoulders, but never met the right one at the right time. Did you feel you made a connection with her? Sometimes it's the temperamental ones that form the deepest bonds when they meet the right person. How are you feeling about it having slept on it?
I know it is. I did like the cat who sat on my shoulder but she will lash out for no reason and did catch my face the first time.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to adopt Lucy from the rescue Buster was from, she's the eldest of their long termers and been there the longest. I also saw her on their Facebook page the day before I lost Buster and I liked the look of her. She's come from a domestic violence situation so a bit timid but loves to sit on your knee
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor girl - I'm sure you'd be the answer to Lucy's prayers. I'm glad you feel as though you're able to come to a decision. It is a tough one to make sometimes.

Please keep us posted - I'd love to see pics. Either way, best wishes over Christmas. xx

Mostly I've not had much of a choice over the cats that have joined our family over the last couple of years - it's just kind of happened through the rescue and fostering. I have, however, twice found a cat on Cat Chat and liked the look of them - one was Daz and the other was Paddington. Both have worked out really well - whatever gut feeling I had from their pic and description was spot on. Both have turned out to be very special cats and I have a bond with Daz that's deeper than with any cat I've ever met.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Desley I'm sure that kitty from a domestic violence situation would treasure a loving home. I recruit for child protection officers & pets are often the last thought of in such situations. And unfortunately they can't tell us the trauma they've experienced - only their interactions give us a glimmer. I hope you've found your special fur body. And Crewella's right when you bond with a special fur body it's something ver special. Thinking of you. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks guys, it won't let me post pics from my phone but you can see her, and Willow, my other choice on here. I'm not used to choosing cats either, and as both Willow and Lucy need a special home, I know there is a good chance whoever I don't take will be there for the forsee able future :cry:

http://www.penninepen.co.uk/page10.htm
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ooooh ........ they are all lovely, but Willow has a great little face, and I can quite see why you liked the look of Lucy, and she has such lovely markings. :)

They both need a proper 'cat person' to understand them, but with Lucy being the eldest I think that, even without taking all the personal feelings into account and looking at this in purely practical terms, you're doing the right thing.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Crewella wrote:Ooooh ........ they are all lovely, but Willow has a great little face, and I can quite see why you liked the look of Lucy, and she has such lovely markings. :)

They both need a proper 'cat person' to understand them, but with Lucy being the eldest I think that, even without taking all the personal feelings into account and looking at this in purely practical terms, you're doing the right thing.
I'm sure Lucy would agree, she looks less grumpy already :) she also wants to explore already! Her being the eldest and there the longest was the main deciding factor, although I was tempted to just hand over the carrier and let the volunteer decide! She was actually glad I chose Lucy, as she comes across worse to the public - she ran away and hissed at me when I went near her, but it doesn't faze me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

booktigger wrote:
Crewella wrote:Ooooh ........ they are all lovely, but Willow has a great little face, and I can quite see why you liked the look of Lucy, and she has such lovely markings. :)

I'm sure Lucy would agree, she looks less grumpy already :) she also wants to explore already! Her being the eldest and there the longest was the main deciding factor, although I was tempted to just hand over the carrier and let the volunteer decide! She was actually glad I chose Lucy, as she comes across worse to the public - she ran away and hissed at me when I went near her, but it doesn't faze me.
Oooooh - does that mean you have her home already?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Not officially!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Heheh ........ I'm so glad you've come to a decision, and wish you and Lucy a very happy Christmas and a lovely new year together. :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Congrats Desley & right on Xmas. Keep us posted please on Lucy. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sigh ..... true to form (why do I always fall for the old boys) I've clicked on that link a couple of times now to look at the lovely Minky. I hope he, and all the other gorgeous pusses find their perfect home in the new year like lovely Lucy Loo has.

One thing I have learned is that there really does seem to be a home out there for every cat. No matter how hard we thought it would be, as I look back over all the cats I've listed on Cat Chat in the last couple of years, a home has eventually been found. xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Crewella wrote:Sigh ..... true to form (why do I always fall for the old boys) I've clicked on that link a
couple of times now to look at the lovely Minky. I hope he, and all the other gorgeous pusses find their perfect home in the new year like lovely Lucy Loo has.

One thing I have learned is that there really does seem to be a home out there for every cat. No matter how hard we thought it would be, as I look back over all the cats I've listed on Cat Chat in the last couple of years, a home has eventually been found. xx
Minky wasn't there, so hopefully he has. I really hope 2016 is Willows year, I went to give her some treats and she just rolled over cooing at me, unlike Lucy who ran away and hissed! She's not sure when I'm walking about, so I get hissed at then, and she's keen on getting food off your plate and doesn't hesitate to swipe at you for saying no, but fortunately she's easy to read, she huffs first!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor Lucy's been through quite a lot recently, who can blame her for not taking things at face value. I'm sure she'll start to realise you're on her side and appreciate being queen of her new castle. And yes, a warning huff is infinitely better than the ones who just swipe with no warning at all!! :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

She's certainly enjoying sleeping on the bed and on my knee!! She also likes windowsills, which is good because it means she is jumping quite a bit - I haven't had the heart to tell her off for jumping on the kitchen worktops, as it seems she just goes on the windowsill gazing out (the room she is used to has a window leading to a secure outdoor space, so she probably can't work out why these aren't open!!).