Elderly Cat Advice

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
milliemo
New Cat Chatter

Elderly Cat Advice

Post by milliemo »

We have a male cat aged 15 years, his sister died 3 years ago, 10 days after we got a puppy and he was good at accepting the new addition......he is the boss and the dog is more scared of him!

He is definitely slowing down now, he has kidney failure, arthritis, and very rarely goes outside. He doesn't groom himself well and is very quiet.

How do older cats react to a new kitten added to the family? Would it annoy him and make him even more miserable or would it bring a bit of fun back into his life?

I have always wanted another cat but kept putting it off because we got a new pup, but if I knew it would help my old boy enjoy his last years, I would go for it. If it would not be the right thing to do, then we would not get a kitten. I would be looking at another male .......what are your experiences, thoughts?

Many thanks.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Elderly Cat Advice

Post by booktigger »

Personally, I wouldn't get a kitten, if he is quiet and arthritic, he may not appreciate a kitten jumping on him.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I agree - having learned from my own mistakes!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

So sorry about the loss of your cat. However, I wouldn’t get a kitten either it would be too much for an elderly cat. If he’s a cat that likes other cats, and you wanted to adopt another then, I would get another about same age or a year or two younger. When we have lost one of our oldies, and I have adopted another it’s been one of roughly the same age and with careful introductions the two have been fine. However I’ve also found some oldies enjoy all the attention from being an only cat, and your current cat may have got used to that now.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, a kitten is more likely to annoy an elderly cat than anything else. When I've lost one of my oldies I've adopted cats of around 10 and over, who are relatively sedate and that has worked OK. That also helps to home a cat that might otherwise struggle to find a home.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

While I would agree with all that has been said, our old boy Tom has taken very well to youngster Bobby. As I type this they are curled up on the bed together. Whenever they meet they touch noses and head rub along each others sides.

Mind you Bob took most of his kitten 'bounce' out on the girls - much to their disgust!

I hope you find a companion for your old boy. Bob does seem to amuse Tommy and it is important to keep them interested in life. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I think so much depends on the character of the incoming cat. I've been through several introduction phases recently (all adult), one was a complete failure and he was rehomed as an only cat, two took a while but with a few hiccups and careful management were OK, and my latest moved in and seemed to slot right in almost straightaway and the rest of the gang seem to love him. As do I. As does my OH. And the neighbours. He's a bit of a star is our Paddington!

The problem with a young kitten is that you're not really sure what you're getting, but I guess a carefully chosen younger cat with a steady temperament might work.