Cat/Kitten Recall

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat/Kitten Recall

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

I'm teaching Denzel my 10 month old siamese a new trick "recall" we've been practicing it in our flat with success, my OH and I are in different rooms and each call him and fuss when he comes.

We are now trying with less success outside, for the first 30 minutes or so he doesnt take any notice, then he will call back and eventually when I call persistently he comes, but he tends to ignore my OH.

I think when outside he is distracted.

Just wondering what kind of success other cat/kitten slaves have with this trick.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat/Kitten Recall

Post by meriad »

I really shouldn't but :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever thought that he's training you and not the other way round ;)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Well, you are at least letting him know you're there for when he feels inclined to return, but I suspect the timing is, and always will be, to suit himself. Shaking the "treats bag" can sometimes drag their attention away from all the fascinating sights and smells of the great outdoors though, but as Ria says, he's just training you to give him fusses and treats!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

haha more than likely!

But if he thinks he's training me then thats fine at least he comes to me for fusses when I call him.

He only gets fusses though, not treats. Though he's just weird about treats, he can take them or leave them, I've tried the whole shake the bag or treats or kibble trick and he just ignores me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I don't try it frequently, but because I call my lot in to feed them (and then shut them in for the night), all mine come when called in, even at other times of the day. Calling them over to me from a few feet away, however, is another matter entirely! :D
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

We will just randomly call him and most of the time he'll come to us.