Moving two older cats to a new home

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

Moving two older cats to a new home

Post by Moonshine25 »

Hello! My first time posting, hope this is the right place! Apologies for long post.
My boyfriend’s parents have two wonderful cats (16 & 12) who I care about very much. They spend most of their time with myself and my boyfriend (sleeping in our bedroom, playing games, following us around etc…) and my boyfriend’s parents aside from the obligatory feeding don’t play with or show them any affection. Although they do care about the cats they don’t ‘love’ them in the same way me and my boyfriend do. (I have been with my partner for 10 years so know these lovely cats very well!)
Anyway the time has come for me and my partner to buy our own house, we hope to move out in the next year or so and I would really love to have the two cats come and live with us. My boyfriend’s parents have joked before about us ‘adopting’ them officially and have said before wouldn’t miss the vets bills or cleaning up after them! Although it would be so fantastic to have them come and live with us I do worry that it would be so stressful for them, they are obviously very settled in my in-laws house (have lived there for 11 years now) and part of me worries that given their older ages it is selfish of me to want to move them. I was just wondering if there are any other cat owners who have had experiences of moving older cats? The other side of me worries that once me and my boyfriend leave they won’t experience any affection or love at all, my in-laws are lovely people but don’t seem to fuss over the cats the same way I do. For example they often put them out all night regardless of the weather as they don’t want the bother of a cat flap and potential of them bringing in prey (I have always hated this and asked them to fit a cat flap but they won’t). If they were to move with me I would consider transitioning them to being indoor only cats as the only time they ‘request’ to go out is when they need the toilet and the rest of the time they just want to curl up and sleep! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you. 
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Moving two older cats to a new home

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

When I moved to my present house I brought 3 older cats (2 in their mid teens) and although it was naturally an upheaval for them, they coped really well. The eldest was abnormally timid from kittenhood and hid behind the sofa for a few days (she must have come out to eat and use her tray at night) but she was an unusual case; the other two took it in their stride.

I think if the cats have some familiar belongings of their own and can perhaps be started off in one room, where they can decide on privacy or joining you, all will be well. By the sound of it they'll be much happier with you and your partner and I hope you find the ideal house and that all goes well :)

ooops edit - I was so focused on the house-moving that I forgot about the subject of keeping them mainly indoors. Yes, I think as they get older many cats do stick around more - nowadays my garden's secured and although two of my present cats are ex-ferals, they're quite happy with this. I give them a kitchen tray and bathroom tray too as it's easier, and yes, I agree with you about not shutting a cat out - even when mine roamed there was always an open door or window so that they could get in when they wanted. Like you I prefer the idea of cats being under my eye; the world is just too busy and threatening these days.
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Moving two older cats to a new home

Post by Moonshine25 »

Thank you for your reply Lilith! :) It is reassuring to know that your older cats were able to cope well with a move. Out of our two the 16 year old is so laid back I think he would be fine and it is probably only the 12 year old that would struggle at first. It is nice to know also that your cats cope well with an enclosed garden, as and when we do move there are probably 3 options I would consider. 1. transition them to indoor only 2. make the garden cat proof so they have access to outside like you have 3. build a cat enclosure of some sort. I will definitely have a look through this forum to see how each of these options have worked for other people.