took in a stray cat.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
darwin15
New Cat Chatter

took in a stray cat.

Post by darwin15 »

Hi all, I am the proud new mammy of a 5 year old cat. she has been living with us for 3 weeks now, after a friend was sheltering her and feeding her after she kept appearing and continued to do so for a couple of months. She tracked her owner down and they didn't want her back so after a lot of debateing I brought her in. She is delightful. She is brilliant on the litter tray doesn't scratch MUCH! but hates been stroked for longer than seconds but quite happy to cuddle up on your knee. She went from hissing and growling to being very relaxed but as I say hates being petted even after she has approached me, or anyone else in the house. But my concern is....she lived out doors for months and must be street wise but I'm scared to let her out. she has gone into the back garden that has 6ft to 8ft fences around it but she is desperate to get out of the garden. On both occasions of letting her out , I panicked and got the treats out to coax her back in. I live near a main road and it frightens me to let her go but I feel so cruel keeping her in. please help! :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: took in a stray cat.

Post by bobbys girl »

Well done you for taking her in! I hope you have a long and happy life together. Does she have a name yet?

Our girl Willow likes fusses on her terms too. We have had her from a tiny kitty, and she will run to meet you, but after one or two stokes she hisses and takes a swipe! :roll: Some cats are like that.

As for letting her out it would probably be best to do it when she is hungry. Then she should come back for food. Is there any way you could cat proof your garden? There are folks here who have done that and hopefully they will be along soon.

If not, re-post with a different title, something like 'Cat proofing garden?' Good luck and let us know how you go on.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Well done giving this poor abandoned puss a home. She will take a long time to settle in, and you may find over time, with patience, she will relax more and learn to enjoy petting.

I'd keep her in a bit longer to get her fully bonded with your house as her "safe place". Given the height of your fences, you may be able to make the back garden cat proof (not possible in mine, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was). You could look up Securacat, and see if that works for you. Otherwise, let her out when she's hungry, for short periods only, and eventually learn to trust that she will find her way home. Most cats do, but I sympathise, I'm a nervous wreck when mine are outdoors.

There's already a discussion going on this subject on this forum: try this link .

http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... f=19&t=577
darwin15
New Cat Chatter

Post by darwin15 »

:D hi ...just to let you all know ...my ball of fluff goes out now....she doesn't go very far and is scared of the road so goes nowhere near it....thank god! She prefers to go out on a night .....and comes wandering in , in the morning. We have built a enclosed shelter all padded out for her for during the night as it got quite tiresome either waiting up till all hours for her to come in....or getting rudely awoken by her scratching at everyone's door to let her out at all hours of the night. We seem to have quite a happy little pussy cat now. Thank you for all your advice :D
Galyna Chekan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Galyna Chekan »

I do remember last winter. It were the coldest days outside. And one night we couldn't sleep well because of strong noise of a very small kitty from the car parking. At 6 AM I went outside and tried to find this kitty. But no success(((... In 2 days I definitely found this small lump of wool under the car frosty hungry and exhausted. She was around 3 weeks old.
My sister has adopted this small kitty. Now she feels warm and happy. Although Snowflake does not remember me, I am very happy and proud to see her as a family member, especially for my sister's daughter. :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

HI Darwin

Pleased to hear your puss has settled in so well. Just a warning though, I always make sure my cats are in at night, whatever their preferences, as night time is when they are most likely to get into territorial fights, get run over, or just generally go missing, plus this is when their prey are most vulnerable, as cats' eyesight is very much better than mice and birds in low light.

So to protect your puss, and the wildlife, do try to change her habits and let her out during the daytime only, ideally keeping her in before dusk and after dawn. She may not be too pleased to start off with, but most cats eventually resign themselves to the new routine and get used to it.
Figarocat
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Figarocat »

I have four strays I am currently looking after, one of which is moving in happily, more or less hangs about all day going in and out of a window then settles in his box at night, another a little slower to settle but shows up twice a day when hungry and stays in when it's cold or wet, and again usually opts to sleep in her box at night. The littlest one comes in but cowers and hisses in a frightened way, not at all aggressive (I worry she's pregnant but can't get close enough yet to get her to a vet) and the fourth disappears for weeks at a time. All cats are a bit different but I find they always come back to where there's food and warmth.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Most of my gang are ex-strays but have adapted well to a night time curfew. We live very close to a busy road and I don't want them outside getting used to it when it's at its quietest - in the daytime it's so busy they keep well away (touch wood). It also gives the local wildlife a break.

I'm glad she has settled well and seems to be being eminently sensible. :)

Bless you, Figarocat, for looking out for those strays. :)