Jezebel

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Jezebel

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi I've rehomed a Little Paws girl. She's around 12-15 mths & has had 1 kitten which has been adopted. I just couldn't take on a kitten atm still raw over Mayday. Her name was Jessica but I've renamed her Jezebel. I picked her up We'd afternoon & put her in my bathroom. Fri night heard her little meow so let her out & walked round with her while she explored. There were no issues with Elsa & Jezebel SEEMED contented in Mayday's hutch in my bedroom even putting front paws on my bed yesterday morning & meowing, purring & coming to me albeit she moved from the hutch to the mattress under the bed in my middle bedroom . That changed last night! All day today she's been under the bed in my 3rd bedroom & won't come to me or let me pat her. I'm not going to force myself on her & will see how we go over the next 3 days. I'm on hols until Thu. Any advice welcome. I've just come home from seeing "Cats" - loved it. Vivian
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Jezebel

Post by lilynmitz »

Congratulations on your new family member! The main thing is not to worry and just let her take it at her own pace. She's obviously confused and has no idea where she is or why, but give her time and space, and let her come to realise she's safe. Both of my two hid under the bed for 2 weeks when I first brought each of them home, (very scared ex-strays) exploring a little when I wasn't around, but I let them hide as much as they wanted and spent a lot of time lying on the floor just talking to them. Eventually they decided they were probably safe and I wasn't going to eat them, and they're happy relaxed little kitties now.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Thanks Lilynmitz. She moved from the 3rd bedroom back to the middle one. She was out in hallway when I got up to make a cuppa but skidded away when she saw me. I just said morning to her & Elsa & came back to bed. She did pop her head round the corner when I was watching TV last night on her way to the litter tray. Fingers xd. Vivian
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hey so happy to hear you have a new addition to the family. We have too but she is a bit of a strange girl, can't quite get used to her! Fingers crossed for both of us x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Give them time, no one's at their best in a new and unfamiliar environment. My two are still growing in confidence even 6 months on, but I suspect Zig will always hide from visitors. He's completely fine with us though.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jilly & Lilynmitz an update. Deb from Little Paws was surprised when I text her as she's a happy cat & she doesn't like rough pats as she's a very gentle girl. I've put her back in the bathroom with Mayday's hutch as she seemed to settle there when I first bought her home & at least I can pat her. I've heard no meowing though.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I may be misinterpreting your word "pat" but if you mean like you'd pat a dog or horse, not many cats do like that, much preferring stroking or a gentle scratch.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lilynmitz no I don't pat cats like dogs. She's still very skittish but is out of the bathroom & in the 3rd bedroom. She was on top of the bed when I went to bed last night & this morning but she's pulled the curtain rack down & hopped under the bed when she spotted me. I'll keep persevering but this is the first time I've had a cat so skittish & timid. Vivian
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's a good sign that she was on top of the bed. Elsie wouldn't do that for weeks, and it was even longer before she felt safe enough to sleep while we were in the same room. Bad news about the curtains though! Do you have a cat tree she can climb instead?
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lilynmitz no tall cat tree but a scratching post which she can sit on. I think the curtain came down as a cat may have been around. She woke me up growling. She's been out & about this morning looking through my screen door to the great outdoors & I did get to stroke & talk to her on the bed. She's now back under the bed. I'm off to see Deb at Little Paws shortly. I just want her to feel wanted. Vivian ;)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Well I thought we were progressing but alas Jezebel still a nervous nelly! When I do get to pat/hold her she purrs but the next time I try, she withdraws. Also two occasions her breath stank. Fri afternoon being the recent. I've looked at her teeth & can't see anything & she's eating. I hope she settles soon. Her timidness Is disconcerting as I feel as though I'm doing everything wrong. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

A week is nothing for a nervous cat, the fact you can check her teeth is a good sign
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Absolutely - a week is no time at all. It sounds to me as though you are doing just fine, but expecting just a little too much of her. Trust me, in a couple of months you'll wonder what you were worried abot. It just takes a bit of time.

Congrats on you new addition, I hope you'll be very happy together, and I'm sure you will be because you seem willing to put the time and effort in. :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Crewella 2 weeks today. I've asked Deb from Little Paws to visit & do some cat whispering. I've an appointment with the vet I volunteer for on Monday but don't think it's going to happen. Don't want to scare her by forcibly catching her to put in a cage for the visit. And yes I'm probably having high expectations in the light of Mayday who always was with me & if she couldn't see me would let me know. Elsa arrived & took up prime real estate on dining room table & then moved to back of lounge looking down at Mayday who was always beside me on the lounge. Vivian