Cat Flap Malarky - Hope for the Hopeless!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Cat Flap Malarky - Hope for the Hopeless!

Post by Jacks »

:lol:

Some of you will share my frustration with cats refusing to use their microchip cat flaps. We put ours in last spring and spent all summer and autumn trying to get the three little minxes to actually use it. It goes through the wall, so it's a tunnel rather than a simple flap, and took my husband a LOT of effort to put in.

Despite cajoling, treats, holding it open, picking them up and trying to shove through (not recommended) they would not get the idea of pushing with their heads and resolutely would not even TRY to come back in. After Lara escaped at 10pm by prizing the LOCKED cover up with two sets of claws and squeezing her head UNDERNEATH in an act of supreme contortion, we gave up and locked up for the winter. The kitchen bin in front of it succeeded in thwarting Lara's escape attempts (they're not allowed out at night).

So - imagine my shock. Just over a week ago I'm in the bathroom when I hear all sorts of clicking, bashing and scraping noises. As Sophie is the only one in the house I'm thinking she must have got herself stuck on something. I emerge to find that JESSIE (our nutty ex-feral, but probably the smartest in the pack in her own way) has come in through the locked door. How? She has come THROUGH the cat flap, despite it being locked, and having successfully pushed a very heavy swing bin OUT OF THE WAY with her head!!!

She's now happily trotting in and out of the flap. Lara has followed her out, but not tried to get back in yet.

So there is hope, guys, when you can't get your cats to use it! After several months my little pickle decides she knows exactly what to do with it, and when it's locked and barricaded! :lol:

You've got to love them...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat Flap Malarky - Hope for the Hopeless!

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless her! Just goes to prove, it's never that they don't get it, it's just they don't want to at the time! :D
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Contrary little monkeys! Just shows that "desperation is the mother of invention". My blind boy Mitz couldn't get the hang of the catflap till they went into boarding kennels, where they had one between the bed area and the run. By the time I came home he was nonchalantly using it like an old hand, bless him.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I need to get Henry cat flap trained...... he just sits and watches the others come and go but hasn't quite twigged himself how to work it; daft boy ;)

Well done to your girls Jacks!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I've had a really good laugh at this Jackie :lol:

I can well imagine your surprise at Jessie's "break in" through the flap. No wonder she is now showing off by calmly going in and out through it. She's probably pretty pleased with her success.

My cat flap is permanently locked now. Fluffy refuses to use it and much prefers me to be at her beck and call. I have to keep it locked as there is a very cheeky cat who has a good look through the flap and meows at me. He would be in like a shot if it was open. Thankfully I know who owns him so he isn't a stray. Phew!!!