How to keep kitty off the hot stove

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

How to keep kitty off the hot stove

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

At home we have a gas stove, and have trained Denzel not to get on the work top, which works when we're in but we know he jumps up when we're out.

Now its not that big of a problem at home, but he will be going to stay with my mother in law for a week and she has an electric stove, which stays hot after you've finished using it, is there something we can get to stop him walking on it?

I know we could just shut the door, but Tigger who lives there has his food in the kitchen and he also gets out the house that way, is there something else we could use? Or is it just close the door?
Carol B
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: How to keep kitty off the hot stove

Post by Carol B »

I too have electric stove..........when it has been used I put saucepan with water in on top of the hot hobs until the hobs are cold
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I do the same as Carol - saucepan of cold water on the hob until it's all cold
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

You can buy these hob cover sets http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... 4acb43cb4d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to use upturned dinner plates. My cats can't reach counters any more which is good.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Problem with those though Mark if you put them on a hot oven plate then they'll also heat up.... :(
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

thanks for the suggestion mark, but these wouldn't stay put as the stove is flat glass.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

a pan of cold water is a good idea.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Because my cats are indoors due to my neighbour situation and not by my choice - or theirs - I've never felt right about telling them they can't go somewhere, so I've never said "no" to them going where they want, unless they are being destructive in the process. Very early in the piece it became a habit to immediately put cold water in any pans I use and put them back on the hot plates, and it's now an ingrained habit. Can you imagine how awful it would be to have burned pads when you rely on your paws for nearly everything you do? :(
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I think those things only work if you have an electric cooker with rings - they are raised so they don't heat up. Pans of cold water or upturned plates are probably fine. We have an induction hob. It stays hot, but not a searing heat (as in taking the skin off :cry: ) that you get with other electric hobs.