Hello (Old member with sad and happy news)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Hello (Old member with sad and happy news)

Post by oggers86 »

I used to post on here a while back but slowly stopped posting and just browsed. Thought I would come back and say hello to old members who may remember me.

Some of you may remember that I had 2 black cats, Elsa and Elise and a Siamese called Elsworth. Unfortunately we lost Elsa a few weeks ago due to kidney failure. She was only 5 so we arent really sure what caused it, we think it may have been brewing some time as she had lost weight back in October when I took her for her boosters but it wasnt flagged up.

The other two are doing fine, they still dont get along but they manage to coexist without too much drama. Elise has had her own room for a while to escape to as she is a bit more sensitive which seems to be working out quite well. Elsworth has no access to her at all if she chooses but more often than not she is just on our bed in full touching distance, he doesnt bother her until she moves and he thinks its a game.

We definitely wont be adding to our cat family, truthfully it was a mistake bringing a Siamese into this cat family but from a personal point I am so glad I did. We have had a few issues with territory but we continually work on them and since the loss of Elsa I am determined to keep them in the best health, mental and physical so they can live long and happy lives with us.

In happier non cat news we also added a non cat to our family in the shape of a small human. He is certainly keeping me on my toes, hes 8 months and just amazing. Elsworth has a bit of a love hate relationship with him but trying to keep them both apart will be hard, he insists on sitting right next to the baby and then gets offended when he gets rolled into/grabbed/kicked. Elise keeps her distance, hes way too grabby for her to cope with but I encourage the baby to stroke her gently and try and keep his hands from closing onto skin or fur. I cant wait for him to be a bit older and interact with the cats a bit more and be less grabby!! Im just hoping that once he starts walking the cats will be old hat to him so he wont feel the urge to chase after them. Baby gates and a few high places to escape to will help with that though.

So thats my looong update, hope everyone and their felines are well.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Hello (Old member with sad and happy news)

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello there and welcome back!

Sorry to hear about Elsa. We lost out old boy, Tommy to CKD at the end of last year (still miss him every day) but he was well into his teens and it is a bit easier to accept, 5 is way too young, so sad.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, that's lovely news. :D
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by oggers86 »

bobbys girl wrote:Hello there and welcome back!

Sorry to hear about Elsa. We lost out old boy, Tommy to CKD at the end of last year (still miss him every day) but he was well into his teens and it is a bit easier to accept, 5 is way too young, so sad.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, that's lovely news. :D
I lost my 15 year old a few years ago to the same thing, that seemed to happen all of a sudden too but like with Elsa there were possible signs that it had been brewing for a while too but its only the little things that never really amount to much like a pickiness with food. Elsa was always the fussy one so for her to refuse food wasnt unusual, it was when she started being quiet and then refusing to eat chicken that we knew something was wrong and took her to the vet but it was too late to save her kidneys so we had to make the decision to let her go there and then whilst she still felt well from the drip instead of bringing her home where she would just go downhill and be miserable. Definitely the right decision for her but I would have loved to have been selfish and brought her home for me.

I do worry that it was something she ate outside and the others could meet the same fate but keeping them both in just leads to misery for everybody so I have to let them out and just hope they will be ok.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Welcome back and congratulations on the new baby. Sorry to hear about Elsa. I too lost my 5yr old cat Badger last year (due to cancer). Its pretty devastating when they die so young.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

You miss the one separated from you. They say time heals. No. It just softens into a memory... I have eight over the rainbow. Miss everyone of them. I like them in a meadow playing rather hanging out at a bridge. Happy.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Elsa. It's always hard to lose them, but doubly so at such a young age. Rest in peace lovely Elsa.

..... and congratulations on the small human. xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

I too lost an Elsa earlier this year cKF ... She was 10 or 11 not real sure. Elsa from Born Free not Frozen. Miss herb& my Mayday! Congrats on the Bub. Vivian
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I lost Locky to CRF at three years of age. The vet reckoned it was a congenital defect. It was terribly sad, but he had 6 very good months between diagnosis and death. It's a bloody shocker to be faced with CRF in a young cat......... Big hugs to you. X