Tick bites and Lyme disease!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Tick bites and Lyme disease!

Post by bobbys girl »

I have just finished watching an online summit about Lyme disease. If you have ever been bitten by one of these little blood-sucking bxxxxxds, you really need to see this. There are only two creatures I cannot abide, craneflys and ticks. Bobby hunts the first one for me (good boy 'protecting' his mummy), but he is responsible for me getting two tick bites - and there isn't an emoticon for what that meant!!! :shock: :? :evil:

Here's the link http//chroniclymediseasesummit.com/event
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tick bites and Lyme disease!

Post by OHWS »

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that, don't know what happened to my link. :?

Have you seen any of the summit? I'm going to watch the second tonight.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I loathe ticks too, and thankfully rarely see them unless a stray foster cat comes in with them. I do keep a sharp eye out, though.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I just been been through a Lyme scare with my dog ... We were able to get rid of it with doxi...the usual treatment. There are many types. If not too advanced, they can rid it from your cat too. I thought it was a death sentence. Timing is everything.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

There are lots of warnings about it at our vet which is right by Wimbledon Common so a vulnerable spot. That's great about Trent, Jill.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news about your dog Jill.

Some of the main things I have learnt about this horrible disease is, you don't always see the 'bulls-eye' rash, if you catch it early enough and blast it with AB's you have a fighting chance. BUT it is very sneaky and can quickly burrow into your cells and disguise itself. Then it is very difficult to get rid of as your immune system doesn't recognise it as an alien species and AB's can't 'find' it.

I could go on with a whole load of mind-boggling facts. But there is good news. It has been shown that natural remedies beat pharma hands down. Conventional meds are too targeted and as a result miss the sneaky little B. There is a herb that has had some good results (teamed with diet) it's name..... Cat's Claw. I kid you not! :lol:
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Oh! Cool! I am getting that! Not so concerned about me. BUT the cats and the dog....yeah you bet! They will have some cats claw.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, we have just sent off for some. I hear it is good for joint pain too? That being the case, I think I need a bucket-load! :lol: What do you take it for?
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I put my wrists and elbows in braces when not out in public or working. I need some for my knees and back but decided not to. I don't want to look like a robot.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Stop blaming Bobby for your tick bites!!!!!! Ticks do not transfer from one animal to another, they go up on grass stalks in what is termed as "questing" for their next host. The literally climb up and sit on the stalk waiting for you (or Bobby) to wander past, and then latch on. You can blame the grass and your lack of socks, but not the cat, ha ha ha! Ticks are awful things....... And in Ireland we only have the non-dangerous ones, but they changed the requirement for arachnicide prevention on the European pet passport recently...... So now we will probably import the dodgy ones!!!!!! Admittedly the scary ones have nicer patterns on their backs for people like me to study...... But STILL!!!!!!!!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Cussypat1974 wrote:Stop blaming Bobby for your tick bites!!!!!! Ticks do not transfer from one animal to another, they go up on grass stalks in what is termed as "questing" for their next host. The literally climb up and sit on the stalk waiting for you (or Bobby) to wander past, and then latch on. You can blame the grass and your lack of socks, but not the cat, ha ha ha! Ticks are awful things....... And in Ireland we only have the non-dangerous ones, but they changed the requirement for arachnicide prevention on the European pet passport recently...... So now we will probably import the dodgy ones!!!!!! Admittedly the scary ones have nicer patterns on their backs for people like me to study...... But STILL!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I have to disagree. Bob keeps bringing the damn things in from the field behind our house - 5 in the last week, 3 attached, two still wandering on his coat and combed of with our trusty nit comb! Grace has picked up 2, still crawlling when she came in (easier to see on her 'cos of the white in her coat). They are really bad this year.

Of the 2 actual bites I have had both were discovered when I had been nowhere near a field, wood or even the garden (one got me during the night!) On several occasions we have been sitting on the sofa, and once on the loo (I know, too much info!) The scream could have been heard in Belfast!

BTW all the cats have been treated with tick/flea repellant! I read that lavender and lemongrass oils are OK to use on cats so I 'got' Bob last night with a mix of lavender and sweet almond carrier. I am hoping this might deter the little blood suckers.

Non-dangerous tick? My friend, the local Pharmacist, tells me there is at least one person in the village with Lyme Disease.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

The foreign one spread worse...... But Ireland and the U.K. Are different also, what is native here is not over the pond.
If the cats are coming in with crawling ticks I would suspect a tick nest near the entrance to be honest. Under a window or by a door where they like to snooze? Once ticks latch on they don't let go, but if they just landed on the cat and are wandering looking for a good spot, they could potentially find your skin!
You found bites on yourself? But not the actual tick? Then mr. tick has has his fill from your blood for a week or two...... And fallen off to transform and reproduce if in the third nymphal stage.......... It is actually possible that your carpet has an infestation.....
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

We have fields (rough pasture) on two sides of us - that's where they are coming from! No, these ticks were firmly attatched to me - hence the scream!

As for carpets - our floors are wood and tiles, only one rug.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

If I found one attached to me, you'd hear the screams from your house! I think I'd be applying spot-on treatments to myself ha ha ha! (Don't actually do that...... But isn't it a wonder that no such thing exists for high-risk humans, now I think about it?)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I've been experimenting with a few drops of lavender oil in sweet almond oil. Seems to work for midges! ;)