My Missing Cat- Advice Please!!!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kristina87
New Cat Chatter

My Missing Cat- Advice Please!!!!

Post by Kristina87 »

I'm so distraught, my cat has vanished from our home ever since we've had the diggers here doing building work. I didn't think it would upset him so much that he hasn't made an appearance anywhere for 4/5 days. He is so missed!! I have 3 cats including him and a dog. He doesn't get on with any really because the dog chases him and the other 2 female cats knick his food! However he does tolerate them and just avoids. He has done a runner before but I can't remember it being this long and I'm so worried however no news is good news I guess so I'm thinking positive. We also started giving dry food instead of wet to try and improve his teeth , could this of added to the stress for him? I just wondered if anyone knew if it was common for cats to flee when there's building work going on. I really thought he'd be back by now and I'm really upset. :'( I've had him 8 years. Any advice is appreciated. Thankyou :(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My Missing Cat- Advice Please!!!!

Post by Crewella »

It's such a worry when they go missing, though I've not had a cat go missing because of building works, though they do hate the noise and disruption. Just in case there's anything on there that might help, this is a link to the Cat Chat advice page on lost cats:

http://www.catchat.org/lost.html

I really hope he comes home. xx
Kristina87
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kristina87 »

Thankyou, is it common for them to disappear for such a long time?
TJH72
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by TJH72 »

My sister's cat went missing for about a month and just turned up ,looking a bit skinny and worse for wear, as though she'd never been gone!

There was also a local story recently about a cat that went missing from a new house and turned up about 3 weeks later at his old house 5 miles away (cats are so clever).

Not to mention the amount of times I've heard about cats getting into the back of delivery vans and ending up at the other end of the country.

Of course some cats don't come home, hopefully yours will, there is hope!

As for building works, all cats are different, but last year I had a conservatory built, Dave is a very nervous cat but he tended to stay in the neighbour's garden (hiding in their 4ft high grass), then would come home once they had gone. He's never really been a wanderer though.
Kristina87
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kristina87 »

Thanks. He's just not the type to jump in a van you know? It's stressing me out ad upsetting me so much I can't function :'(
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Check any sheds and outbuildings, and ask neighboir's to do the same. He may well be stuck in a shed or garage nearby. Please do this now, and cover a good area as he could have run in fear of the loud noises. Make up some leaflets to put through letterboxes asking people to check sheds/garages when they get home (as some doors you knock on will not be answered). If any children are playing in the area, give them leaflets to distribute also. Kids out playing see things adults will never notice. Offer a reward (it need only be small) to motivate the kids, but make sure they know to just call you if they see him.

I saw two cats euthanised recently after being locked in their own garages for an extended period..... Dehydration caused kidney failure. Please don't neglect this possibility, as it happens all to often!
RonShirt
New Cat Chatter

Post by RonShirt »

I hope your cat has returned to you by now.

Mine has only been missing for a week, but was frightened, I believe, by a Police helicopter hovering for what seemed like an hour in the middle of the night and also, I saw a fox early in the morning who may have chased him away from his usual territory.

I have posted many pictures on lamp-posts in the area, contacted the PDSA, the Cat's protection league, the RSPCA and put an advert in the local paper. There are quite a few internet websites who will allow you to post details of lost animals.
Also I was advised to contact the local council, in case my cat's body had been disposed of through the waste disposal system. I would rather know if he is dead, rather than not knowing, which I think is worse.

I hope this helps,

Ron