Cost of overnight care.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cost of overnight care.

Post by Kris35 »

Just been told if I wanted my cat moved to an all night vet surgery with vet care throughout the night (monitoring) it would cost £500-£600 pounds for a cat on an iv drip. Does that sound about right to you? I am fuming and at the moment am wondering how the heck they justify that price. Fuming.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cost of overnight care.

Post by Crewella »

Ouch! I can't remember what our vet charges for overnight care on a drip ..... but if it was anything like that I'm pretty sure I'd remember!! That does seem steep!

You could try ringing other surgeries and asking them what they charge? Good luck!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Wow, that sounds a lot. Unfortunately you are tied when it comes to out of hour care, it generally has to be one linked to your own vet
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Eeeeeek!
Does the cat need continuous monitoring??? As in, does there need to be someone sitting with the cat at all times??? What is wrong with him/her? Ordinarily, fluid therapy only needs to be monitored every 3 hours or so (but if the cat is critical that can change, obviously). Cats on fluids during the day are monitored every time you walk past (usually very often) but most don't need someone actually sitting with them........ That is an extortionate amount of money, even considering what it would pay the nurse to sit all night with him. I'd ask for a breakdown of costs at the very least! (I am a student vet nurse, and generally defend vet prices!)
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am in Ireland and all vets are obliged to provide out of hours care to their registered patients.......? Usually it means a few checks during the night as I said...... Critical cases arriving at the end of the day means someone has to change their evening arrangements of course, but there is always a vet assigned to this duty....... So they at least know what they could be facing as regards sleep!