Fleas on my longhaired indoor cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Khawkins0508
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Fleas on my longhaired indoor cat

Post by Khawkins0508 »

Hi,

Really hoping someone can help me!

My fiance and I adopted a rescue cat in November and we have had a few instances of fleas on her. We noticed a couple while grooming her a couple of weeks after having her, despite her being treated with Stronghold. I killed these and treated her with Frontline once the Stronghold had run its course and we didn't have any more. Since then I have had a couple of instances of finding the odd one on her but I don't really know what the best way is to get rid of them.

We are keeping her as an indoor cat for now as she is very timid and I think too scared to go outside. So I can only assume we must have brought the fleas in with us. I have never found more than two when I have groomed her and I barely get any dirt at all off her- so she can't have many but I just want to get rid of them once and for all.

If anyone has tips on how to get rid of them or what products are best I would really appreciate it!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Fleas on my longhaired indoor cat

Post by booktigger »

Welcome to Cat Chat, you need to use a household spray like Indorex to treat the house
Khawkins0508
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Khawkins0508 »

Would you just use that on the carpets and soft furnishings?

I also have a steam cleaner so could try using that if that would work too?
TJH72
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by TJH72 »

Last year my vet said fleas were building an immunity to over the counter flea treatments. Have you tried askiing the vet to prescribe something which should be more effective?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

You need to get it in all the nooks and crannies, soft furnishings, bedding etc. Not sure about a steam cleaner
Khawkins0508
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Khawkins0508 »

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't tried asking the vet, but I will do if the over the counter stuff doesn't work this time.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Stem will have no effect on the pupal stages of fleas, which live in the environment. They can survive in pretty much any conditions for years once there is oxygen.

You can use a household spray like indorex, combined with regular vacuuming (at LEAST daily, but as often as you can, and put the bag out of the house every time!). Also, get frontline combo spot-on as it kills emerging fleas, not just the ones on the cat. The dead ones fall off the cat, loaded with pesticide, and kill the emerging larvae in the environment, so they don't get to land on the cat, breed and lay more eggs.