Cat cleans paws in water

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Cat cleans paws in water

Post by kev1949 »

Out of the four I have, only one likes to clean his paws in the drinking water. Dips them in (front paws only) and licks them. So have to change their water several times a day. That's no prob. But why just one cat? My other two boys and one girl don't do it. However, I find it amusing to see him doing it, so wont stop him. Anyone else have a cat what does this?
MysticalVamp
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat cleans paws in water

Post by MysticalVamp »

Sounds more like he's drinking the water off his paws :) My boys do it with running taps, dip their paw under and then lick the water off.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Several of my cats over the years have done this. At one time I suspected the advice to always leave water down was so they could wash their paws, as they never drank anything! (At least not indoors - could well have drunk raw water from puddles outside.)
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

Haha, yes, probably drinking off his paws? But not all the time? Can always tell when done so by the dirt in the drinking bowl. However, what I find strange is that I have two bowls, both different shapes, and he always uses the same one??
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

One of mine does it. Kylie used to do it too, but hasn't done for years. As Kev says, I can always tell by the dirt in the water. I have to clean and change the water in one of the fountains every day - One reason I don't bother with filters.