New owner

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

New owner

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice, I'm due to take in a cat, he's male, neutered & a house cat. I've heard that cats can be quite smelly & make your house stink. Is this true?? I would appreciate you honest opinions about this. Be honest I won't be put off.

Thank you :D
jaybry
New Cat Chatter

Re: New owner

Post by jaybry »

Hi Flo,
I have two house cats, 9 mths old. I clean litter tray as soon as the cats have used it and i have no nasty smells. When i first had cats i was paranoid that my flat smelt and when anyone came to my flat i was asking if my visitors could smell the cats. no-one could. both my cats have been neutered.
hope this helps.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Agreed - it's in your hands

Buy a good clumping litter and a deep tray so it can be well filled and your boy should be able to cover over potential smells until you can declump
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

You could also try a covered litter tray, if he will use it. Useful if he turns out to be one of those little so and so's who waits until you have just gone out!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I would suggest a covered tray too. I always used an open one for years but my latest cat was a bit messy kicking litter out of the tray, and my neighbour has a covered one for her cats which she told me was much better. Anyhow I decided to try one and would never get an open one again. There is less litter trail and smell, although I empty it regularly too. I definitely don’t think cats are smelly, if you keep things clean. In fact that’s one thing my mum once pointed out when she visited, that cats don’t smell like some animals do. Good luck with your new addition, do let us know how things go :)
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Most of the smells in our house come from the humans!!!! I wish our boys would wash as much as the cats!

No smells at all from our lovely furry friends.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think most of the smells associated with cats come from the food they eat. Years ago we had family friends who always had 2-3 cats. Their home was spotless but there was a faint whiff about the place that got worse at kitty meal times. They fed their cats tinned Whiskers and it was the food that smelled, not the cats.

I agree about the litter trays. I find the wood pellets very good and not at all smelly.

When you get your cat I hope you will post and introduce him to us. Good luck.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Anyone remember the smell of the original Kit-e-Kat ? And the smell of any cat who had eaten it?
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi folks,

Thank you so much for all your advice it's been really helpful. Think I'm just being mega paranoid!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay wrote:Anyone remember the smell of the original Kit-e-Kat ? And the smell of any cat who had eaten it?
Oooh yes! It may have been Kit-e-Kat the friends were using, not Whiskers. :?
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I'm up to three cats now and there's no smell in the house whatsoever and we have two litterboxes to boot(there should be 4 ideally but we have no room for more).

Since you're a new cat owner please be sure to read up on how to communicate with your cat properly so you don't make the same mistakes many new cat owners do, you can't expect a cat to think like a human or a dog, this especially goes double when they do something wrong.
I refrained from mentioning this in my topic about Casper coming back home, but when we got him back he was a mess, I don't want to bad mouth the guy who had him, he clearly wasn't experienced and the thought to educate himself online didn't even cross his mind, if I had a say who Casper went to this would never have happened.

- Learn what your cats can and can't eat, certain human foods are poisonous to cats, onions for example are toxic to cats and can cause serious problem if ingested in large amounts.

- Learn how to communicate with the cat, don't yell at it, don't use physical punishment. The guy who got Casper apparently punished him by yelling at him and "gently" slapping his ears, he openly admitted this to me proud of his disciplinary techniques, I had a very very hard time containing my rage and explained to him why he was wrong to do that, he genuinely felt terrible and simply didn't know what he was doing apparently...right well it's the 21st century, son, you got the internet, read up.

- If you come back home and your cat knocked something over, did something they weren't supposed to yelling at them will accomplish NOTHING, they'll just get stressed and not know why you're being aggressive.

- Speaking of stress, cats are very fragile animals and quite a few things can negatively impact their state of mind, be sure to read up on this stuff too.

- Cats are very sensitive when it comes to their litterbox, I don't know if this is right to do or not but in my house when we bring a new cat in we first set them down next to an already prepared litterbox for them and let them explore the environment from there with as little stress as possible, so far this has worked for all our cats, they immediately learn where their litterbox is and feel comfortable using it.

- Be VERY CAREFUL of the type of plants you have in your home and bring in your home
carefully read which flowers and plants are poisonous to cats because things can go south real quick if a cat ingest even a little bit of a plant that isn't good for them and they will, trust me. We have a cat in the neighborhood who got accute and then crhonic renal failure form simply licking some flowers her owners brought home.

- If you live in a building, tho this isn't as common in the UK and US from what I understand, but if you happen to live in a building it would be a good idea to put screens on your windows, they not only protect you from insects and such but they also keep the cats from fallng out the window or wandering off outside. Many owners I know would stubbornly stand by the fact that their cats would NEVER jump or fall out the window, those same owners pretty much all came to me months or a couple years later with stories of their cats accidentally falling outside a window or the balcony, a friend of mine back in high school lost her persian kitten to this...it fell out the balcony and well it didn't end well...I told her sooo many times to not let a persian cat proof her house back then but people don't listen to me until it's too late :( Fortuntely in most cases the cats are fine and don't end up hurt badly but they do end up outside one way or another
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi Joe,

Your advice is brilliant, thank you so much. Can you advise, is it easy to get a cat to use a covered litter tray if they have been used to using an open one. I'd really prefer to get a covered one.

Many thanks :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I have no experience with covered litter boxes, sorry.
Give it a shot and see if the cat likes it or not, ultimately the litter box has to be sort of a safe haven for the cat and it must feel very comfortable in it, so you'll have to use the type of litterbox your cat likes best.
I've heard both good and bad things about covered litterboxes, but again I've never used one so I don't think I'm competent enough to give you any advice on that in particular.
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi,

I'm really new to cat ownership, with the litter tray is it better to line it, if so what do you recommend. Also which is the best litter to use??
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'd advise you to get as big a hooded litter tray as you can fit in, with as deep a base as you can find, so you can start him off with just the base - I never use liners as I think they are just another expense

add the cover only when he is thoroughly at home with you, as you don't want to introduce more new things than you have to at the beginning of his new life with you - some covered trays come with flaps at the entrance, and a lot of cats don't like them, as it makes them feel too claustrophobic inside the tray, so best remove it if it has one

start off with the litter he is used to in his present place - you can change later if you want to - everyone has an opinion on what litter is best, but I would say the main thing is to have it deep enough for him to dig in - 20cms at least - smells are mostly created by using too thin a layer of litter so the smelly stuff doesn't get properly covered

when is he coming to you? and what is his name?
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Kay wrote: .... start off with the litter he is used to in his present place - you can change later if you want to - everyone has an opinion on what litter is best, but I would say the main thing is to have it deep enough for him to dig in - 20cms at least - smells are mostly created by using too thin a layer of litter so the smelly stuff doesn't get properly covered
litter 20cm deep??? I have never seen a litter tray above 10cm deep.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

it really works with super fine clumping litter, as the wees clump before they reach the bottom of the tray, and so are easier to remove

though that doesn't stop my Tiffany weeing right up against the side of my Poopoopeedo tray, which has curved sides and so is the devil to prise clumps off
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi Kay,

He's coming next weekend & his name is shadow
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi Folks,

I'm just going to fire all sorts of questions at you as I'm a total novice when it comes to owning a cat & I want to be as prepared as possible.
I've heard about furballs, how often to cats sick them up?? How can I minimise the number of furballs deposited? :|
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

not all cats are prone to bringing up hairballs - my Tiffany is 14 and has never brought one up in her life - , but if Shadow turns out to be one that is, daily grooming with a slicker brush will minimise them

most cats like being groomed along their backs, though the tummy area can be sensitive - he'll let you know what his limits are - it isn't something to try anyway until he is comfortable around you

how old is he?
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

He's 5yrs old. Do you know how often a cat prone to them brings them up??
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As Kay says, it can vary enourmously, I've never seen a hairball from a couple of my gang, but Basil once brought up a hairball a day for four days!! Then nothing for months.

I use covered litter trays for all my lot, but most of them hate the flap doors so I tend to take them off. The covers still help to stop them kicking litter out everywhere and peeing over the sides, which can happen as most of them are getting on in years.
Flojo75
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Flojo75 »

Hi everyone,

I'm after your honest opinions. The cat I'm due to get is a house cat & by all accounts is very well behaved in the house. I'm retired & in very much enjoying it, I'm a total night owl & don't rise until about 4pm then I go straight out & see my parents for a couple of hours. The cat apparently spends most of his day sleeping. Do you all think he would be suitable for my routine & would he fit in.
I really want the cat but I'm not sure if it's right??
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I wouldn't worry about your routine - he'll have you fitting around his routine in no time at all, and you'll find if it comes to a battle of wills you'll stand no chance

and you probably won't mind at all
Jane

Post by Jane »

This thread is now closed, and has been moderated to leave only the helpful posts for the benefit of other forum users and visitors.

Admin Jane